PDA

View Full Version : FPrime Render Weirdness in v9

Imatk
07-23-2006, 03:14 PM
So I have been using 7.5 at home just... well because.

And now I have 9 installed and decided to render out a scene I did in 7.5 and the "FPrime Render" is not working.

It works, it just renders with some strange camera view that doesn't have any bearing on my camera or scene.

Not sure if this is a problem solely for transferred older scenes, but I wondered if anyone else had experienced similar problems.

Back to 7.5 for me for now I guess :)

Gotta finish this project.

RedBull
07-23-2006, 04:35 PM
No problems here with FPrime and LW9, works with most if not all of the new features with the exception of Nodal surfacing (works with Nodal displacement) and the Advanced, Ortho and Surface Baking Cameras.

You may wish to break apart your scene to see exactly where the problem lies. Does it work in the previewer? You're likely better to send Worley
a test scene for diagnoses... It's a little hard to with the limited info provided.

But i have not noticed any real dramas with FPrime and LW9.

Imatk
07-23-2006, 06:09 PM
Yeah the preview looks fine... just the "render" is wrong.

phil lawson
07-24-2006, 02:41 AM
Have you added the FPrime shader to all materials? I had to do this to get some scenes working.

Cheers.

Lego Maniac
07-24-2006, 02:42 PM
Have you added the FPrime shader to all materials? I had to do this to get some scenes working.

You don't need the FPrime shader or FPrime displacement trigger. Those are for LW 7 and LW 8.0, 8.1. LW 8.2 added a system to tell FPrime the information directly.

There were some LW 9 betas which did have a bug which could be worked around by adding FPrime displacement, but Newtek fixed that before release.

Bog
07-25-2006, 05:11 AM
I'm having a weird one with my model just mainly disappearing, which is a smidge irritating. I've just assumed that I've found some incompatability between Prime and Nine and that there's nothing to do about it right now.

Bugger.

Imatk
07-26-2006, 10:16 AM
Yep I just verified this with another scene. Completely different and had the same problem as you Bog.

Model completely disappeared. The occasionally pieces of it would appear but in the wrong places.

So FPrime and v.9 definately have issues.

RedBull
07-26-2006, 01:06 PM
Can you post a simplified scene...

Most likely best to send one to Worley as well, usually they would have an answer confirming any problemes within a day or so.

Lewis
07-27-2006, 06:14 AM
If you don't have enough RAM to render in Fprime (due Limitations of 32bit systems FPrime can't use all available ram) i saw you can get dissapeard objects or parts of objects but only if you don't have enough RAM for FPRIME which can use 1GB per process AFAIR. What resolution you were using and how many polygons ? Maybe that's helping.

illusory
07-27-2006, 05:01 PM
I am having this problem too, and I had it in the betas, beginning about halfway through. It renders fine in the Fprime real-time render. But then when you begin to render to disk, you find that the results are screwed up. Either all or most objects disappear or are positioned way wrong, so you only see a part of an object which is the focus of the frame, and all of an object which should be barely seen. AND the camera angle is wrong. PLUS, when you go back to the real-time render, it is then screwed up like the render-to-disk frames were. At that point you have to shut down LW, the hub, and sometimes the computer to get back the real-time preview correctly.

I have 2 gigs of ram, and my Ram meter says I have plenty left. The current scene I'm working on has two objects with a total of 13,000 polys. This is repeatable, happens in every scene, and the same scenes render out fine in 8.5.

This is REALLY unfortunate. Does anyone have a workaround for this? Phil L mentioned adding the Fprime shader to surfaces -- I tried this to one of the main surfaces and it did not help. I'm on a deadline and don't have time for Fprime or Newtek to get their acts together. And I would really like to be able to use LW9 -- i need some of the tools, and I paid for them!

NJ

illusory
07-27-2006, 05:42 PM
I just found out that there is a 2.1 version of Fprime, I was using 2.0. The problems I mentioned DO NOT HAPPEN with 2.1. YAY! Even though this bug was not mentioned on the bug fixes.

So, maybe 2.1 will help others who are experiencing this -- I sure hope so. There are rendering increases in speed described for radiosity scenes and multiprocessors also.

hope it works for you!
NJ

Imatk
07-28-2006, 12:02 PM
Aha!

Thanks illusory... I'll give that a shot and see if it works. Never even knew 2.1 was out... would have been nice for Worley to shoot out an e-mail or something... oh well :/

kfinla
07-28-2006, 01:02 PM
ya.. 2.10 has been out for since October.. can;t balme u tough i use to look at the worley page all the time for updates .. news.. but the last 2 years i think the sites been updates 3?

Lego Maniac
07-28-2006, 09:25 PM
ya.. 2.10 has been out for since October.. can;t balme u tough i use to look at the worley page all the time for updates .. news.. but the last 2 years i think the sites been updates 3?

The site shows 11 updates in the past 14 months.
But there was almost a 9 month gap with no news.