PDA

View Full Version : aaargghh this issue with the Hub !!

F1Racer
07-23-2006, 12:50 PM
Lightwave 9 / Windows XP Pro

Why oh why does this happen ??

One day it LW wants to work, the next day it doesnt.

I run Modeler, it kicks in the Hub and then Modeler doesn't initialise. It shows up the GUI but freezes up before initialising the viewports.
So then it ends up not-responding and the task has to be ended along with the Hub.

At this moment, Layout seems to initialise ok, but Modeler isnt interested.

If I run them without the Hub then they run ok.

Ive closed the Hub and tried many times and re-tried, but to no avail.

Im aware that the tedious exercise of deleting all the .cfg files might fix it when LW creates new ones, but what kind of a solution is that ?
It means reinstalling all the plugins and re-doing all your settings.

Is it known what causes this and if theres any ways to fix it properly ?
This anomoly has happened since the introduction of the Hub into LW and is still not stable. :(

Skinner3D
07-23-2006, 05:36 PM
I just had the same problem. I have Lightwave installed on a secondary drive, and my fix was to make the shortcuts for the applications from Program Files on the main drive, instead of making them from the drive that they were located on. I don't really understand it, but it works now.:stumped:

I didn't any problems with this until 9

I don't know how much it will help but my thread was titled "Hub not being good middle man" if you want to search for it.
:goodluck:

Rayek
07-24-2006, 01:02 PM
I've had all kinds of problems with lightwave being agonisingly slow and crashing, etcetera. I tried re-installing Lightwave, removing the cfg-files... But to no avail. Sometimes it worked, often it did not. The strange thing was, when I physically disconnected the network cable, everything worked just fine. Lightwave behaved in a rock solid manner (because the hub wasn't started now).

After uninstalling kerio firewall and installing Comodo (firewall), I discovered that some programs try to hook into the Hub to get a connection to the internet. In my case, Babylon (a translation program) tried to gain acces through the hub (babylon tried not only the hub, but also iexplorer and firefox to name a few). Suffice to say, Hub didn't like that at all, with Modeller and Layout both choking as a result. As it turned out, the solution was killing the babylon process and making sure hub is allowed to make connections.

So far, NO problems whatsoever anymore. Unless I start Babylon while running lightwave.

Anyway, have a look at the apps you're running in the background. One or more of those might be the culprit.

Skinner, I'm not sure about your problem. I'd almost think that some kind of process is misdirected by your fix...

Hope this helps in any way.

Regard,

R.

Matt
07-25-2006, 04:52 AM
Deleting my configs, running Modeler first and quitting, then running Layout worked for me.

(Windows XP Pro)

F1Racer
07-26-2006, 02:31 AM
Deleting my configs, running Modeler first and quitting, then running Layout worked for me.

(Windows XP Pro)

Yeah that does work but only temporarily. In a few days it`ll be doing it all over again.
Im not re-setting up my LW settings every week. I`m having to stick with 8.3 for now. But at least I got Vue5 out of the deal so it wasn't all a washout.

bearfoot
07-28-2006, 07:24 AM
i had the same problem and reinstalled my dongle drivers or used version 7.2.2 i think and it works fine now

try it.

Dodgy
07-28-2006, 09:16 AM
Make sure you uninstall your dongle drivers completely, and then install the driver which comes with LW, that fixed mine.

Matt
07-28-2006, 11:42 AM
Deleted configs is a temporary solution, what is still working for me is adding all LW apps to the Windows Firewall exceptions list (whether you're using WFW or not).

I did this a day or so ago, just tried F12 connectivity and it still works! Yay!

spec24
09-05-2006, 07:16 PM
Glad to see Newtek is right on top of this little bug. I'm getting real tired of having LW just sitting here doing nothing!! Does it for a while, then all of a sudden it fixes itself. Not before I've lost hours of work however. Maybe Newtek should pay us for hours lost. Better yet, fix this **** bug!!!

Ivan_B
09-05-2006, 08:36 PM
Hi there...Can someone tell me why my hub DOESN'T launch..I just got my new dongle..the apps work but no comms between the two..They are exceptions in the firewall settings...If I launch it manually it runs and I do get comms between the two..should it run when system boots or when LW launches?
Thanks, Ivan.

relik
09-07-2006, 01:17 PM
Yeah, just to add to it, on mine Layout doesn't want to start from Modeller or after Modeller has been started and closed-rebooting to clear memory appears to resolve that-but that's also a PITA. Firewalls were never a problem before.

I agree with all the above regarding fixing, rebuilding cfgs, and the general mood to get the torches and pitchforks. Can't seem to find any patches for LW 9 yet-anyone know if there is any? -R

stib
09-08-2006, 12:44 AM
I've disabled my firewall (because of the hub) and for a month or two LW9 was going along smoothly (well.. as smoothly as you'de expect from LW), but when I come in this morning (Big Deadline Day) I haven't been able to get modeller going at all. I've totally uninstalled the applications, reinstalled, updated drivers, rolled back drivers, deleted all my configs, made the sign of the cross three times, it still.. refuses.. to.. work.

I've spent all morning d1cking around with this and my clients are literally screaming down the phone at me. If I had a dolar for every time I've rebooted today I'd be down the shops now buying a Maya seat. LW.9 looks like it's LW.Last for me. No one in their right mind would use this application for professional work.

Ivan_B
09-08-2006, 09:53 AM
Hi..
I managed to get my hub to work when LW starts!!!
The question is how?....simple...I reformatted and did a fresh installation of windows etc..Installed LW, and when sentinal asked to take care of the firewall settings, I said yes...previously when I tried to uninstall LW then reinstall it, it did nothing to fix the problem (I think its because the registry KEPT all the LW stuff)..All seems to be good now...
Just thought I'd let you know.
Ivan.

spec24
09-08-2006, 11:23 AM
Hi..
I managed to get my hub to work when LW starts!!!
The question is how?....simple...I reformatted and did a fresh installation of windows etc..Installed LW, and when sentinal asked to take care of the firewall settings, I said yes...previously when I tried to uninstall LW then reinstall it, it did nothing to fix the problem (I think its because the registry KEPT all the LW stuff)..All seems to be good now...
Just thought I'd let you know.
Ivan.

Glad it worked for you. Can't say the same here. My LW is a fresh install on a freshly reformatted hard drive. This is more than a bug; if other software companies put out programs that just stopped working (can't think of any right now) they'd be out of business.

cobaltman
09-08-2006, 03:00 PM
I haven't tried my LW9 much yet and thus haven't had problems. It wouldn't suprise me if I had them soon since I am still on ATI graphics (intend to go to NIVIDIA soon).

I have noticed a lot of postings about LW9 bugs. I think this posting probably hits home for most of it. From my intermediate experience of computers, most bugs mentioned in the forums are probably related to the hub somehow. I never had much problem with the LW8 hub and it seemed very stable to me. Whatever they added to the LW9 hub was not well programed.

If I was "calling the shots" in a business and came across this, I would have had the designers find ways to use the older, more stable program in the new apps. Otherwise, changing the hub itself should require careful planning and testing in all situations before sending it to market. It should also be computer friendly to any computer meeting requirements. Additions are good if they can be useful but if they are not needed, they are best dropped. Standardizing and flexability are key in making a good product.