PDA

View Full Version : Problem when transforming objects with TAB

gazdg
07-22-2006, 04:22 PM
Hi all,

Ok. Thanks to JBT27 for the help and advice for me to create my uphill path in a mountain scene. It worked beautifully and looked great...until i pressed <TAB>...arghhh!! What happened?? Each corner transformed into a sort of circle and detached itself from the upper pathway ad every part of the envirment did the same..Here's a picture showing what I mean.

http://www.thegamerexperience.com/images/ProblemwithTab.jpg

Does anyone know what i`m doing wrong here, or what i`ve forgotten to do?

All help greatly appreciated!

Skinner3D
07-22-2006, 04:57 PM
:stumped: What type of SubD's are you working with? Subpatch tends to hate anything that isn't nicely square or triangular. The other thing that you might have is duplicate points at those corners. Welding or merging the points might help that.:)

Ramen Sama
07-22-2006, 05:12 PM
Looks to me like duplicate points as well. Sometimes you can get 2 points very close together, but not in the same position.

DragonFist
07-22-2006, 05:16 PM
I agree, probably duplicate points. The pain is when this happens, merge sometimes doesn't work and you have to manually weld the points yourself. A pain.

gazdg
07-22-2006, 07:38 PM
Hi

many thanks for the help! I actually had a really nasty feeling that this would be the problem...doh!

Is there anyway I could avoid this kind of thing in the future?

DragonFist
07-26-2006, 09:56 PM
If there is, I for sure do not know it. I just save incremental a lot and go back when I get stuck. As I said earlier, you can try merging points, both automatic and fixed (increasing range until it start messing with geometry) but if that doesn't work (and sometimes, it won't) individually weld the offending points. A pain, but I've found it to fix it most of the time (99%).

THREEL
07-27-2006, 09:51 AM
Yup, it looks like you definitely have some points that aren't connected. One thing you might try, if merge doesn't work, is to select the 2 points that you want to become 1, and do a weld average. This will allow you to connect the points midway between them. It looks like some of the mesh with the path do not line up to the mesh for the mountain. Am I right, or is it an optical illusion? Also, if you want to shore up your edges, you could do a Bandsaw Pro close to the edge, or put a sub-patch weight on the polygons that you want to retain their shape better.