PDA

View Full Version : Speed up Hypervoxel

tomG
07-22-2006, 01:42 AM
Hi Lightwavers

I'm rendering a scene with a resolution of 6000 x 3000 for printing. I want to simulate some cloudes with hypervoxel... i'm using 450 points to simmulate it. The Problem i have is, that hypervoxel needs Days to render!!! Sometimes LW is crashing, and i can start render from scratch. I turned off texture and volume shadows, and switched to low quality mode but it still takes days to render!!

Does anyone knows a technique to dramaticly speed up hypervoxel??? plzzzz

Greez to all

Celshader
07-22-2006, 02:10 AM
Try using as few points as possible, so that the HyperVoxels do not overlap.

One cloud can be made from a HyperVoxel flattened on its Y axis. Try using one HV per cloud.

JBT27
07-22-2006, 02:23 AM
Can you try rendering at a smaller size then up-rezzing? I've done this a number of times for the reason you're facing, given that cloudscapes and such effects are far more forgiving of such processing.

So as well as reducing the particle count, perhaps do some quick tests on this. Also, the larger each HV goes, the higher the rendering time....sometimes I find that more points but smaller HVs can be faster than a few big HVs.

Julian.

Anti-Distinctly
07-22-2006, 04:43 AM
Render just the hypervoxels and save the output to a tga or something with an embedded alpha channel to make compositing them eaisier.

Rendering hypervoxels seperately is alot quicker.
Go into the scene editor and select all your objects if you have any and set them to 'matte object'.

KSTAR
07-22-2006, 10:52 AM
Im assuming your using LW9? If so did you get the Vue5 upgrade? You could render a cloud scene from view and then composite. Vue has so many nice preset clouds it would be pretty easy

stevecullum
07-22-2006, 05:49 PM
Also worth trying pixie dust in 9 for this kind of thing.

SplineGod
07-22-2006, 10:07 PM
I would also try skytracer in LW. :)

tomG
07-23-2006, 01:47 PM
Hi Creatives

Thanks a lot 4 your input! My PC is Rendering now since 2 days, and 75% is done :-) after finish rendering, i would try some techniques from you!

Anti-Distinctly... i have HV allready isolated :-)

Unfortunately i don't use LW 9 because i'm a bit angry about Newtek. I bought LW 7.5 for 1600 Euro, 6 Month before LW 9 was announced i bought the upragde to 8 for 400 euro. Now, 9 is released, the whole package costs 700 euro and i should pay 400 Euro for upgrading to 9? I think ther's something wrong... but anyway thats another story... :-)

See you
TomG

JBT27
07-23-2006, 03:56 PM
Hi Creatives

Thanks a lot 4 your input! My PC is Rendering now since 2 days, and 75% is done :-) after finish rendering, i would try some techniques from you!

Anti-Distinctly... i have HV allready isolated :-)

Unfortunately i don't use LW 9 because i'm a bit angry about Newtek. I bought LW 7.5 for 1600 Euro, 6 Month before LW 9 was announced i bought the upragde to 8 for 400 euro. Now, 9 is released, the whole package costs 700 euro and i should pay 400 Euro for upgrading to 9? I think ther's something wrong... but anyway thats another story... :-)

See you
TomG

Are you absolutely sure you weren't eligible for free upgrade to 9.0? I can't remember what was going on with the upgrade deals....I guess you have checked, but just to be doubly sure. Although there's alot of good stuff, the amount of workarounds needed to get past bugs and major instabilities for some people can be very trying. Let it get to a first or second point release and then maybe consider it.

I do sympathise however, but unfortunately it's part of the nature of buying and using software.....never had this much expense and misery with airbrushes and tubes of paint......:)

Julian.