PDA

View Full Version : Intel Mac's experiences to date?

theartguy
07-21-2006, 09:47 AM
I was wondering what people's experiences have been running LW on the Intel Mac - be it LW version 8.5 or 9.0. I am waiting for the new Intel Macs to replace my G4 and I was wondering if those who have made the jump would share there experiences to date (good or bad). Sorry if this topic has already been covered elsewhere.

richardsan
08-12-2006, 08:41 PM
on a new intel core duo imac, + lw9.x i am trying to get sasquatch to post so i can get the machine id for worley, but it crashes the app. saslite crashes, too.

just posting this while i peruse...

amigo
08-13-2006, 05:20 PM
I've ordered a Mac Pro and it should ship Monday August 14, so couple of days for delivery and hopefully there's a discovery version of LW9 for OS X. :)

maclicious
08-13-2006, 06:31 PM
I've installed 8.5 on a 17" Intel IMac and keep getting this dialogue box whenever I try to access the help menu;
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Adobe Flash Player has stopped a potentially unsafe operation.

The following local application on your computer or network.
/Applications/Lightwave [8]/Documentation/help/wf_master.swf
is trying to communicate with this Internet-enabled location:
/Applications/Lightwave [8]/Documentation/help/wf_master.htm

To let this application communicate with the Internet, click Settings.
You must restart this application after changing your settings.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
This keeps coming up regardless of fixing the issue it says it has, has anybody else come across this issue?

Chilton
08-13-2006, 08:00 PM
Hi,

Yes, I've seen that. There was a forum thread here recently about how to fix it. Basically, there's a Flash setting you can change to give it access to the other files (even though it claims it's for the Internet).

The next version of the help files should use the MacOSX Help system, and bypass this gunk entirely.

-Chilton

richardsan
08-13-2006, 08:10 PM
got the LW 8.x finally to post the machine id, and sent the necessairies to worley and now waiting on them...weekends...bah

ScottSullivan
08-13-2006, 09:30 PM
Doesn't sound too promising what with the crashes. I've got a Macbook Pro that is waiting for LW9.

But since it's already in NT's "to do" list to release the UB I figure I can wait and keep LW9 on my XP machine.

It sort of keeps me more efficient (ok, that's just a lame excuse I keep saying!). I render out image sequences on the XP network and then copy the files over and splice together in FCS and Shake.

maclicious
08-14-2006, 09:25 PM
thanks for your help chilton, that sorted the pesky help file issue.
For anyone else who is havinbg the same problems check out his link;

http://www.lightwiki.com/wiki/mediawiki-1.4.4/index.php?title=I_cannot_access_my_LightWave_onlin e_help

it will give you all instructions on how to change your flash setup, and yes you do have to do it online as you can't change those particular settings inside your computer.

voiddweller
09-02-2006, 09:58 AM
Lightwave 9 locks up and crashes all day long on my mac.

avkills
09-02-2006, 10:18 AM
Lightwave 9 locks up and crashes all day long on my mac.

Either bad memory, insufficient file access rights in the Newtek foloder, or the Hub is being very mean to you.

-mark

TomT
09-07-2006, 08:00 PM
My MacBook Pro works just fine with UB applications . . .
-T

Johnny
09-08-2006, 04:19 PM
Do the new intel-based Macs blitz their G4 and G5 counterparts?

just wondering if they're all that.

J

TomT
09-08-2006, 08:04 PM
Definitel Blitz's my old G4's, with UB applications . . .
-T

sherridge101
09-09-2006, 03:33 PM
Lightwave 9 is fairly stable - a few crashes on dynamics but pretty good otherwise.

Most of my crashes and system crashes are from using FPrime.

Steve

avkills
09-09-2006, 05:01 PM
Do the new intel-based Macs blitz their G4 and G5 counterparts?

just wondering if they're all that.

J

Hard to say at this point until more UB apps get released, but the numbers tend to point that the new Mac Pros are indeed "all that". :D

I still like my G5 Dual 2Ghz quite a bit though, it is certainly no slouch for a DP machine.

-mark