PDA

View Full Version : New fileds

criodesign
07-21-2006, 08:41 AM
Dear all,
:help:
I'm starting new project for my future.
I'm a LW user since long time, and I've worked in the Industrial Design field.
But now something is changing inside me!
I'm a good modeler, and I have an artistic formation, and I want to start to model for the entertainment field.
There are many question in my mynd.
First of all I note that 3dmax have a big diffusion, probably the leadership in this field. Probably because it use the directx, I think.
The other software request for the game developping in europe is Maya.
Witch titles are made using LW?
What about my LW user exerience in this scenario.
Do you think it's necessary to learn the modellig tecniques and use the instruments of other software?

I speak much more as a player than a game developper because at the moment I play the games, and I dont realize them!!!

This is the start of this discussion, and I hope to find someone that can help me to find a solution.

criodesign
07-22-2006, 12:59 PM
No reply?
Is there something wrong in my thread!

mjcrawford
07-22-2006, 01:31 PM
lots of games use Lightwave.. EVA for one, Quake for another.. the Torqe engine can inport Lightwave objects if you want to do somthing on your own...

criodesign
07-22-2006, 04:53 PM
Thank you mjcrawford!:D

I dont findo Eva! But I know quake very well!
I've seen the torque site, very interesting.
In another thread I've seen the BehoindVirtual and the 3dgamestudio.

Witch is the aproach to start to model for games?
I mean: I know that the models must have less polygons as possible, but the polygon with three edges or four edges?
And what abuto te texturing?
How many bits/pixel must contain the textures files?
Were can I find the basic information to start?
Do you know if the Game designer Bible exists?

Do you work in this field?

Skinner3D
07-22-2006, 05:45 PM
I am sort of looking into the same field. What I have found is that you first have to know what part of the design process you really want to do, and then work from there.

For example I would like to take concept art and turn it into a model and simple scene for the higer ups to see. So in my case when I make my demo reel I am going focus more on showing examples of things I have done in that area, although I am also going to show other things. This is going to require some low poly modeling, but for the most part I would be just showcasing the models.

As for the poly count/type and the pixel issues. I think that is more up to the company you work for. It might be a good idea to practice really low poly count models that are UVed down to the last bit, but you have to remember that things like animation, lighting, and model refining etc don't necessarily require low poly modeling skills.
I hope this helps:goodluck:

criodesign
07-23-2006, 02:54 AM
I am sort of looking into the same field...and model refining etc don't necessarily require low poly modeling skills.
I hope this helps:goodluck:

Ok thank you Skinner3D!
This night I've seen that many games are mase using lightwave and now I'm more relaxed, because I love to model using the modeler!
I'm a modeler too, but as you can see in my gallery, until now I've used only very high poly models!!!
Ok!
Thank you to all!
I'll post you the develop pf my work!!!
Bye

criodesign
08-01-2006, 05:56 AM
Some of you can explain me the animatione methd of a model for a game?
Well I've to model a character for a rpg demogame of DragonBall.
So I must model it, with all the textures...
then I must create the skelegon, an put everything in the layout.
My model must walk, run and make some mortal kick.
How can I do it?
Must I export an obj for eatch animation?
or must I create all the animation in the same obj?
Is the obj a good format?
What about md2?
Sorry but I'm really new in this field!

Skinner3D
08-01-2006, 07:11 AM
;D Look up tutorials on IK and IK booster this will allow to to get your models rigged. Once the model is properly rigged you can make it do just about anything. i.e. run, walk, kick, jump, fly

For gaming and production the obj format is good because it is a universal format. This means that you can make it in one program and open it in another. The UV texture ensures that the object has color as long as the UV file is included in the package that you send to people.

:o I don't know what md2 is

criodesign
08-01-2006, 07:42 AM
And what about animation?
I've understand that model has to be rigged. But after the rig there is the posng and the animation.
My character must do 6 or 7 action, like walk and run...
The final file obj must contain all the loop?

ItsPete
08-01-2006, 01:03 PM
in my experience obj is not a widely used format for most game engines except maybe for static geo. it's supported by most modelling apps but you'll have to check the game engine you're using. haven't used 3dgs in a long time but beyond virtual claims to support native LW files. i haven't used it so i'm not sure if that means scenes or objects. i'm betting it's decent LW support. pretty sure Steer Madness, the game bv was originally built around, used LW. look at the game engine specs and cruise their forum to see what file formats are supported. some formats may be supported only for static geometry while others support animation. just because it says supported doesn't mean it's what you want!

as far as animation i say read the docs and watch the movies. there's just too much to explain! it will depend on the engine specs as to whether you can bring it in as one file or need to break up each animation into a unique file (and again what formats it accepts).

criodesign
08-01-2006, 06:00 PM
The engine used will be Blitz3d and it can import obj files!
Where is the Obj converter or export in Layout?
I cant find it!!!!!

jasonwestmas
08-01-2006, 08:00 PM
In LW9 layout, exportOBJ is under the modeler tools tab and in the export collumn.

Skinner3D
08-01-2006, 08:21 PM
You will have to experiment with it, but it seems like the object has to be one solid object, with all of it's points merged in order for the obj to export correctly. I have tried exporting without merging and only part of the object exported.:D

jasonwestmas
08-01-2006, 08:28 PM
all I know for sure is that everything you want to export together in the same file needs to be in the same layer. UV texture map also needs to be selected in the surface editor for that to export along with the model.

katsh
08-01-2006, 11:29 PM
im heavy coder of directX.(LW user as well)
animation in directX is similat to animation on LW.
"solid animation on LW" is solid animation on DirectX.
"bone animation on LW" is bone animation on DirectX.(in general it called skin animation)

gl.

criodesign
08-02-2006, 02:21 AM
In LW9 layout, exportOBJ is under the modeler tools tab and in the export collumn.

Ok thank you at all!
I've the 7.5 LW, and so it's time to upgrade it!

I'll test something and I will come back to show you the result!!!

jasonwestmas
08-02-2006, 09:05 AM
Ok thank you at all!
I've the 7.5 LW, and so it's time to upgrade it!

I'll test something and I will come back to show you the result!!!

In that case I believe you have to export from modeler :-/

criodesign
08-02-2006, 10:29 AM
In that case I believe you have to export from modeler :-/

But how can I export an animation from modeler?
I cant!
And how was possible before the LW9 to create videogame without an exporter?

jasonwestmas
08-02-2006, 11:03 AM
Exporting animation is a completely different story. Exporting animation to a game engine usually requires the use of a plugin that you use within lightwave. The plugins are always provided through an outside party when it comes to animation for games. There are also converdion programs like Deep Exploration that convert an animation to a format such as DirectX that can be used by many game engines. That's how it was done in the past with lightwave and other animation packages.

jasonwestmas
08-02-2006, 11:10 AM
As a side note, some game engines such as Doom3 were programmed to handle lightwave objects with no conversion necessary. There are some racing games that use lightwave content straight out of lightwave as well. so that is another possibility to watch out for in the future, that may or may not help you :-/

ItsPete
08-02-2006, 04:06 PM
just took a brief look at the blitz site. b3d is their native format and supposedly there is a LW exporter plug in available from them. that or directx would be the way i'd go for animation. i did read that b3d is the only format for blitz that supports skeletal animation. but i also saw someone said they got directx in no problem. check the blitz dl page or ask in their forum where the plug is.

criodesign
08-02-2006, 05:10 PM
Thank you! really, you really help me!
I fell like someone in the darkness!
:thumbsup:
Now it's time to model!

MiniFireDragon
08-08-2006, 02:11 PM
www.blender.org

Imports lightwave files and has a game engine.

particledecay
08-18-2007, 10:23 PM
Set a goal for yourself so that your research can yield something useful. For instance if your goal is to develop your portfolio for eventual entry into the games industry, I would suggest that you make it a priority to prove your competency in one or more industry roles. For a modelling / texturing role that may include:
1. Technical competency in efficient model building using multiple LOD;
2. Texturing: UV, normal, bump and specular;
3. Demonstrate good working knowledge of an art pipeline: concept art > build > export/interchange > import.

I would suggest that the most effective demonstration will be to show how your work looks in an engine environment rather than a content creation tool. In order to do this you'll need access to an engine.

Evaluate the game engines themselves and find one or two that meet your licence / price / features / target platform requirements. Once you have an engine shortlist your choice of content tools becomes much clearer (and much more limited).

There's little point in choosing to learn a content tool that doesn't have a practical method of getting your work into a game. Not all engines will have a practical art pipeline for all the content creation tools out there, even though many will claim partial support. Start with the official statement on Lightwave support by all means, but you'd be wise to also search on each engine's user community forum for the issues facing users of each tool, i.e. search on "3ds max", "blender" or "lightwave" etc. on the user forum for your chosen engine.

When learning an engine's pipeline you have rely on third party community, app support, tutorials or documentation to get your art from your tool into your engine. I live in hope that Lightwave can make a bigger dent in this industry, but 3DS Max has dominated games recently. As such you'll find many engines put more dev and documentation time into supporting Max users than users of any other tool.

I'll add that from my experiences of learning game art pipelines with a variety of content tools that it's made life so much harder being in the minority.

doimus
09-09-2007, 06:07 AM
Well, since LW animation exporting basically sucks, here's what you could do:

You could model and texture in LW
Then export static mesh into Accutrans (http://www.micromouse.ca/) to convert it to static directx file.
Then import .x file into Fragmotion (http://www.fragmosoft.com/) to animate it.
Then import your animated model into any directx or Quake/HL based engine you want.

That's currently my workflow for basic game-related animation I'm trying to learn.

Oh, and both those programs are $20 shareware, import everything and export everything into anything, while LW is a $800 piece of pro software and can't export animated directx file.
:lightwave

Dodgy
09-09-2007, 07:45 AM
Blitz has an exporter for LW to blitz format. The link seems to be down, so here's a link to my hosting of it.

http://dodgy.ghostoutpost.com/Files/Blitz3d.zip

T-Light
09-13-2007, 06:49 PM
Thanks Dodgy,

I've been checking into a lot of file formats and that one came up on the radar recently (again!!! - Damn that Mark Sibly:D). Seems the guy who wrote the converter may have lost interest at some point, pity, the blitz format seems to be gaining some ground on quite a few indi engines.

Jakewise
09-17-2007, 10:50 AM
Has anyone used that ?

jasonwestmas
09-17-2007, 12:15 PM
Has anyone used that ? I'm sure the Dstorm .x plug works for some things but don't bet your house on it for bone deformations. Hopefully it has been improved.