PDA

View Full Version : UVMap not exporting with OBJ?

Wickster
07-21-2006, 01:04 AM
Hi there folks, how come sometimes my UVMap doesn't export along with the OBJ file and sometimes it doesn't? Is there like a specific wav of exporting and object file? a secret setting somewhere?

Sometimes I have to export and OBJ to be painted on Hexagon, so I export an object then close the file in Modeler, then i double check the file by opening the .obj file again in Modeler...sure enough my UVMap is no longer there.

what gives?

Wickster
07-21-2006, 02:49 AM
Nevermind....figured it out.
For those who wants to know here's what i did.

Once you have your UVMap all laid out and ready, do not export yet. The UVMap isn't attached to the object yet.

So to attach it to the object, go to the Surface Editor (F5). Click the T on the Color option to open up the Texture Editor for your object's Surface.

Now the Projection Drop down, choose UV and choose your UVMap for the UVMap drop down. You don't have to have an image file attached, so you can leave that blank.

Now click Use Texture to close the Texture Editor. Close the Surface Editor and export your object to an OBJ file.

And your done.

Alternatively here is the way to do this on the node editor.

Again once you have all your UVMap laid out. Open the Surface Editor.

Check the checkbox right next to Edit Nodes and then click the Edit Nodes button.

Under the Add Node drop down menu, add a 2D Texture > Image.

Double-click the image node to open it's properties.

Now a little further down the window you'll see the Mapping drop down menu. Change that to "UVMap"

Now select your UVMap on the drop down menu below it.

Close the node properties and connect your "Image Color Output (Red)" to the "Surface Color Input (Red)"

Close the Node Editor and export your object.

One thing I notice though that by doing the procedure in the node editor, once you load you .OBJ file again, it changes your UVMap name to the generic "OBJ_TextureMap" name.

Hope this helps somebody out there. LW Community Rulez!!!

Dodgy
07-21-2006, 03:36 AM
Make sure you have a texture using the map applied. You don't have to have an image in the texture,just making sure the Uv map is selected in the texture.

LW3D
08-07-2006, 07:07 AM
Thanks a lot Wickster... :thumbsup:

I exported OBJ with UV before.. But can't today.. so I checked it and found your solution.. it works :) thanks

manholoz
08-25-2006, 11:49 AM
Thanks a lot Wickster... :thumbsup:

I exported OBJ with UV before.. But can't today.. so I checked it and found your solution.. it works :) thanks

Thank you from my part too, Wickster! :thumbsup: