PDA

View Full Version : proper ordering in scene editor

stib
07-20-2006, 08:08 PM
I know it must comply with newteks "make the UI as difficult as possible" policy, (see my other whinge on this topic (http://www.newtek.com/forums/showthread.php?t=54050)) but when you have a whole bunch of clones of an object, there's no way of having them listed in the scene editor in numerical order.

That's because "object100" will come before "object2" because scene editor lists them in (dumb) alphabetical order. In the 21st century people kinda expect that computers are smart enough to know that 2 comes before 100. Can we have this easy-to-fix but really annoying deficiency fixed by 9.01?

*Sigh* No, I thought not.

-FP-
07-21-2006, 08:54 AM
Every program I use orders numbered files that way.

You have two options to keep this from happening again:

►Name all your numbered files with an appropriate amount of leading 0s, such as 001 or 0001.

►Use one of the free renaming utilities to renumber your files so the program orders them properly. My current favorite is OSCAR'S RENAMER, available at:
http://www.mediachance.com/free/renamer.htm

Another good freebie is Upstart! File Sequence Tool, which specializes in file renumbering, but it seems to have vanished from the web. Maybe GOOGLING will find it for you.

stib
07-21-2006, 09:10 AM
no, I'm not talking about numbered files. I'm talking about when you clone something numerous times. I just did a scene where I'd cloned something a half dozen times, and laboriously ofset the keyframes for each instance by a frame. There weren't enough of them so I cloned the whole hierachy. I should be able to drag clones 7 - 12 as a group to do my offsetting. Problem is that now there are 12 of them in the scene, and instance number 10 and 11 is coming before instance number 2 in my scene editor, which screws up my dope sheet entirely.

Ok it's mildly annoying when there's a dozen or so clones in your scene, but scale that up to a scene where you have thousands of objects (like the one I'm working on) which are all clones of one or two objects and you'll be pulling your hair out too.

There are plenty of apps out there that can recognise numerical sequences without leading zeroes. The algorithm aint exactly rocket surgery.

-stib

-FP-
07-23-2006, 09:11 AM
Oops! I misunderstood your problem.

Unfortunately, Lightwave's Scene Editors are a total pain in my *** also. I run into these kinds of problems too often. Lately I've been breaking scenes up into smaller components and compositing them, just to keep the scenes more manageable. If I have eight hundred clones with heirarchies in a scene, I splt them up to avoid confusion and other problems. Adds a lot of work time. I'd rather just throw everything into a single scene and let it render.

stib
07-23-2006, 09:27 AM
Yeah, What I do to work around it is to parent two clones to a null, then clone that hierachy, parent it to another null, clone it, parent it, clone it and so on. So with n steps you get 2^n clones. If you want 1000 clones it only takes sixteen steps. And you can do things like loading up the curves in the graph editor one group at a time (loading them all at the same time brings my poor old box to it's knees).

Of course if the particle system was a bit more intelligent I wouldn't have to worry about this tedium..

petrockproducti
07-23-2006, 12:10 PM
I think it orders things alphabetically first, then by Object ID second. A tool to cascade object ids for objects would be pretty useful for scene organization.