PDA

View Full Version : CG Crashing Program

mguyton
07-20-2006, 09:04 AM
I have VT4 and when placing a file (png, tga, or rtv) into one of the template pages, and then trying to position the graphic with the backward or forward commands the program crashes. Any suggestions? And yes, I'm a newby!:newhere:

Paul Lara
07-20-2006, 09:31 AM
Make sure you're running version 4.6, for starters. (Check the 'About' link in the VT[4] menu).

ChrisRothAAN
09-08-2006, 10:10 PM
I have version 4.6 and I am experiancing the same thing. I have to run the CG designer (not player) for up to 8hrs. on live television due to the nature of the show. Am I in trouble here? Over the course of the show we are typing hot and pasting costantly. Does the CG Designer always crash? We bought it new. It crashes even if I change a style or color. I have switched the show back to a trinity CG for now but I would like to upgrade to VT. We don't have a choice we must type live. Any advice will be greatly appreciated.

ChrisRothAAN
09-10-2006, 10:13 PM
Is there somthing wrong with my VT Live or can it not handle the CG designer being open? We are a Live show. :help: Crashing all the time is too devastating.I am in trouble here. I am pressed for time in my decesion making, any advice will be very helpful, and outrageously appreciated.:help: :help:

Jim Capillo
09-11-2006, 05:54 AM
Is there somthing wrong with my VT Live or can it not handle the CG designer being open? We are a Live show. :help: Crashing all the time is too devastating.I am in trouble here. I am pressed for time in my decesion making, any advice will be very helpful, and outrageously appreciated.:help: :help:

Is the unit dealer built ? If not, what components are you using ?

taddski
10-23-2006, 10:15 PM
My VT-4 crashes everytime I try to do a live event.
I have had the entire unit 3 months now.
Constantly crashing.
Driving me nuts

taddski
10-24-2006, 04:38 PM
Here is what I get when I open the program.
It locks up, and i have to restart the computer.

Help, not working properly.

I have a 3 month old
Intel (R) Xean(r)
Dual Processors 2.33 GHZ
2GB Ram
NVIDIA GeFORCE 6800XT
Windows XP Service Pack 2

Paul Lara
10-24-2006, 05:37 PM
Check your e-mail, Tadd.
I would start by running Reset Configs, to clean out a bad playlist or CG page.

taddski
10-26-2006, 09:49 AM
Can anyone give many any idea on this BSOD?

Thanks,
Tadd

Ivan
10-26-2006, 08:39 PM
Google Says:
Look Here (http://support.microsoft.com/kb/315335)

Ivan

taddski
10-30-2006, 01:26 PM
I got these in the last 3 events I have done.

Matt Drabick
11-13-2006, 05:16 AM
For the CG crashing, you probably have a corrupt file for the CG module. I would reinstall the VT[4] software.

For the BSOD I would try a different video card. I ran into this problem when using Nvidia FX6600 video cards on the SuperMicro X6DA8-G2 motherboard. When I used a Radeon card the problem went away.

Matt Drabick,
DigiTek Systems

skyytv
11-18-2006, 04:59 AM
Looks like Im not the only one experiencing crashes with the CG Designer during live shows. I've constantly had to deal with "Invalid Syntax" errors and continous freezing (which would force me to restart). Is the CG Designer capable of handling live production? Or is there a 3rd party software/plugin which could be used instead of the CG Designer?

I'm very cautious when I use the CG Designer making sure that I change the colors not more than once, use the default font and try not to move the text around too much. Even with that, it sometimes still crashes. And you can imagine crashing in the middle of a live production. Restarting the machine would mean the whole feed would have to be cut until you open up VT4 again.

Really, there should be a solution to this!!!

AMD Athlon 64 X2 3800+
2GB DDR RAM
160GB HD
146GB U320 15K SCSI HDs
nVidia GeForce 6600 LE with 256MB RAM
Windows XP SP2
VT4.6

kltv
11-18-2006, 04:21 PM
I've constantly had to deal with "Invalid Syntax" errors and continous freezing (which would force me to restart).

Are you using my scoreboard skin at the time or just normal CG work?

Kris

skyytv
11-19-2006, 03:12 AM
No, just the normal CG work.

mrae
11-22-2006, 06:03 PM
I also use VT 4.6 in our live events 3 times a week and more, each event a minimum of 3 or more hours. I had the same problem with CG and stopped using it as a my CG program. I wasn't able to do motion lower thirds or, or any motion graphics for that matter.

Therefore, this is what I came up with:

I now use Photoshop as our CG creation program and export to a PNG (on the fly), we then drag the file onto our VT Edit timeline along with our motion overlays and titles. We then bring this feed in through the DSK(which supports transparency) and voila, I have a motion graphic on the fly.....and no crashes!

This has worked flawless for us and, yes it takes an extra few seconds to get the titles done in photoshop on the fly, but we have become quite fast at it.

Hope this helps.

cheerrein
12-13-2006, 07:08 AM
My CG crashes constantly. The VT has never been stable for us. I have an old jvc switcher downstream "just in case" It has been repaired many times.

Mark Patrick
12-16-2006, 10:59 PM
I have a lot of lockups. It may be my computer or it may be VT. I have never figured it out, but I know my whole setup seems awfully finicky. I never
really know if I am going to have to reboot or reformat. One day I am
going to rebuild from the ground up. I might miss the next VT version
and wait for the one after that.

Day-Vids
01-02-2007, 07:22 PM
This is SOOOO not what I want to hear. I just did a full day re-format/re-install of XP and VT 4.6 because it seemed that windows was crappin out on me as the whole system was just completely locking up and I couldn't get windows to respond let alone the toaster. (This was happening on a live deal so you can imagine how happy I was).

Dave

Jim_C
01-02-2007, 07:39 PM
The other side of the coin.

We use the CG for titles both within VT(purchased from Mr Drabick above) and as a downstream key to a Sony switcher. We also use the VT for various forms of video playback.

We went all last season, which is a lot of live hours, without a single VT caused crash.

The VT locked up once only because the external drive it was reading from went belly up in the middle of a video.

If you are having constant lock ups with VT and /or CG, I would say consult your dealer.

Jim

eracer
01-10-2007, 03:22 PM
The other side of the coin.

We use the CG for titles both within VT(purchased from Mr Drabick above) and as a downstream key to a Sony switcher. We also use the VT for various forms of video playback.

We went all last season, which is a lot of live hours, without a single VT caused crash.

The VT locked up once only because the external drive it was reading from went belly up in the middle of a video.

If you are having constant lock ups with VT and /or CG, I would say consult your dealer.

Jim

Jim - can you enlighten us as to your computer configuration? CG crashes seem to be a big problem for VT users. I heard Mr. Drabick say that he gets much better results from the Radeon cards. Is that your experience? What video card driver version are you using?

Thanks in advance.

Jim_C
01-10-2007, 06:12 PM
Hi there,

Actually it's a 3 year old Compaq W6000 mid tower Dual Xeon 2.6.
Purchased thru eBay so it's older than that.
Gig of ram and an nVidia 6600 vid card.
Driver is 6x.xx I will look tomorrow.
It has the Intel 860 chip in it.(Pretty sure, been awhile)
When VT2 came out Newtek and users were real real picky about the Intel chip in the machine. Not so much anymore.

We have 3 VT's running on Compaq w6000's all with different nvidia cards but the same driver. They are all rock solid.

We don't switch with them, just edit and use as a live CG to a dsk on a Sony switcher.

It only has a 33mhz scsi bus so the fastest raid speed is about 85, but never really bothered me that much. 2-3 layers just fine.

You can pick them up dirt cheap. I just saw a dual 2.6 a couple days ago for $295 buy it now.

They are not the top of line 800mhz fsb, sata anything,impress your friends kinda things, but they have been true solid rocks for us since we first put VT2 in a dual 2.0 2002.
And really small size. So scsi must be external.

I also use supermicro dual 1.8, dual 2.0, and dual 2.4 either at home or work and they are solid too. Although they are pure edit machines or Analog I/O devices. Only CG use is creation. All nvidia cards, all that same driver which I will check tomorrow.

Not sure if that helps or not.

Jim

eracer
01-11-2007, 10:05 AM
Thanks Jim. In my experience it is the CG module that remains the only problematic part of the VT software. Most of my customers use their systems in a live environment, and really work them hard, with DDR's, camera switching, overlays, etc., all while sometimes recording the live show to a DDR.

I've advised them to create CG pages in the CG Designer module, close that module, and run their graphics (still and motion) out of a DDR. With the robust systems they have, it is not a problem to run multiple DDR's and do all the other things they need to do, when they do it that way. The problem comes when trying to run CG pages from the CG Designer module (or the CG Player). Is it an ideal solution? No, since the icons in the DDR playlist are so small, and it is a bit of a pain to rename all the CG pages to create a usable "shot list". But that workaround is certainly better than the crashing that occurs with the CG module.

I think that the latest version of VT(4) is more stable than previous versions, and WAY more stable than VT(3). I hope (pray) that the Newtek programmers have heard their customer's cries from the wilderness, and have completely re-vamped the CG modules in VT(5).

Thanks for your info.