PDA

View Full Version : Inside Lightwave 9 ?

Lottmedia
07-19-2006, 05:05 PM
So.... Dan, if you're out there, how long before "Inside" 9? Just wondering, love those books

Casey :cat:

Earl
07-19-2006, 05:18 PM
While it doesn't say exactly when, the latest info Dan's posted about it can be found here:
http://forums.cgsociety.org/showthread.php?p=3702959#post3702959.

Bog
07-19-2006, 05:45 PM
We already had a thread about this, Dan says it won't be long, and there's a bunch of DVD tutorials already.

Search tools' there for a reason ;)

*edit* I do apologise, it doesn't seem to be working right now...! Not in Mozilla anyway.

colkai
07-20-2006, 03:17 AM
Dan da Man - he on da case, nuff said. :D

janoverust
07-20-2006, 05:10 AM
Danīs been bussy writing the modo 201 book: " Outside Lightwave 9". ;)

Bog
07-20-2006, 05:26 AM
Burn the heretic! ;)

lwaddict
07-20-2006, 07:37 AM
Out! OUT Demons of Sarcasm!!!

Bog
07-20-2006, 11:38 AM
He's not Project:Messiah, he's a very naughty boy!

janoverust
07-20-2006, 12:49 PM
Yes I am... :)

dablan
07-21-2006, 07:14 AM
More silly people.

Let me write, will ya?

:)

lwaddict
07-21-2006, 08:04 AM
Forget writing Dan...you're videos rock. Make more of those bad boys.

And...uh hmm.."when will those get released?" LOL.

dablan
07-21-2006, 11:40 PM
Thanks lwa -
After these next three books are out, that'll be it. 11 books is the limit :)

Hehe... this guy only "goes to eleven."

Videos? Got lots more planned. But hey, the LightWave v9 Signature Courseware is 17.6 hours of video training, and it began shipping today. The site (www.3dgarage.com) is updated with information and pics. Thanks.

janoverust
07-22-2006, 06:12 AM
Good news Dan.

I've got your Inside 7 and books, and learned alot from them.

Keep up the good work.

dablan
07-23-2006, 07:30 PM
Good news there John Cleese :)

Thanks.

Lamont
07-24-2006, 04:16 PM
Hehe... this guy only "goes to eleven."
ROFL!! Good one... I finally saw that movie two weeks ago.

Seti Orion
07-24-2006, 04:57 PM
I did the sig 8 course and it was great!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Anyone notice that sig 9 sort of covers some of the same bases or am I wrong?

dablan
07-24-2006, 06:44 PM
I noticed! :)
Actually, it's done the same way, but entirely new projects, all designed around LightWave 9.

T-Light
07-24-2006, 07:08 PM
Dan-

After these next three books are out, that'll be it
I'm guessing that's not LW 9, LW X, LW XI?

Is it me or is there an awfull lot of Python and a certain part of history invloved here. Are we about to see Dans Lightwave liberation Front, if so, I'll join it :D , what's the fee?

dablan
07-24-2006, 07:13 PM
Brent, not sure what you mean? Python?

Come on up to Chicago - fee is an Italian Beef.

newtekker04
07-24-2006, 09:16 PM
Dan, I'm ecstatic to know you're releasing another Inside book. I had originally heard you were done with them, but I guess not. This is fantastic news! I'll be waiting at the printers for the first copy.:D

lwaddict
07-24-2006, 09:57 PM
Hey, the books rock, true.
Got more than a few of Dan's pages here.

But the videos are a done deal. Ordering them tommorrow AM.

Also, for anyone who hasn't picked it up...
the 3d Arsenal is pretty kickin' too.
Fast setups with easily replaced objects that have already been set in motion for you...like Lightwave templates for those super time crunches.
Saved my backside three times already!

And with our daughter in law nagging me to get that wedding video done already...I guess that Wedding pack is a gimme too. LOL.

Keep up the great work!

LWAddict

dablan
07-25-2006, 06:18 AM
3D Arsenal is outstanding!

Ambival
07-25-2006, 12:51 PM
I'm excited. Just ordered the LW 9 Signature DVD series yesterday. Can't wait for them to show up!

dablan
07-25-2006, 12:58 PM
Thanks for the order.
The office is shipping throughout this week, so we appreciate your patience. Lots of international LightWavers out there!

RTSchramm
08-07-2006, 12:11 AM
I'd just like to know that I have spent ALL this weekend using Dan's Ablan "Lightwave 9 Signature Course" I reached the video, "23_TheCrate_j.mov". I haven't got to the part where the crate is decaled yet. My *** hurts and I need to take a break.

Dan does an excellent job of touching on the basics and then uses projects to enforce the basic concepts. Those who are already familiar with LW8 will have to sit through a lot of review material before getting to the LW9 particulars. NOTE: He does point out the new features of LW 9 as he moves around the in the software. Throughout the videos, Dan explains both the pros and cons of the LW 9 software as he demonstrates the various features. Dan is very energetic and never boring.

Keep in mind that this is a beginner to intermediate course which is designed to get a beginner up to speed as quickly as possible. The first 13 videos get you familiar with the LW 9 interface and major concepts. I am a beginner to LW 9 and had serious problems with the workflow concepts. I didn't learn how to incorporate the tools onto a workflow very well until I started doing the first project which is designing a fully textured crate. Although a simple project, it demonstrates the LW 9 work flow extremely well.

So far I only had some minor grips with the course:

1. Dan, turn off the phone while your are recording your video.
2. If possible pre-render the scenes. Rendering the scenes in the first part of the projects is OK, but once you get to the end of the projects, your rendering times are starting to take too long. More meat, less time waiting to a render to finish.
3. Use a computer that doesn't crash as much. Ironically, my computer crashed within minutes after yours did.

Over all, Dan, I give you an "A" for the course.

I included several renderers of the first project in succession from video 14 to 23. I actually added a little bit more detail than the lessons required.

Chest1.jpg - Basic model as done in the course.
Chest5.jpg - My broken chest.
Chest13.jpg - Fixed some textures on the single boards.
Chest14.jpg - Bump maps added.
Chest15.jpg - Close up of detail.

Rich.

DiedonD
08-07-2006, 01:38 AM
I received my copy on Satuday. And Im in Southern Europe. I did pre-order though. Howcome some of you are in the US in the same country as Dan and still havent received it yet!?

But dont worry, you still arent left behind. Though I have the DVD, I still havent started going through it yet. Cause once I get into something, I wont stop till the end.
And Im going to a vacation to Venezzia tomoorow. Im gonna get back to it when I come back from Venice. By then, you'll probably receive your copy as well, and we well get into to it in the same time :thumbsup: .
And if you dont await two weeks for me, like I waited for you (Much more likely to happen) then dont forget that I RECEIVED IT FIRST :neener:

gjjackson
08-07-2006, 06:47 AM
the LightWave v9 Signature Courseware is 17.6 hours of video training, and it began shipping today.

And I should be getting mine tomorrow.

dablan
08-07-2006, 09:35 AM
RT, thank you for the review! Your images look really nice! Keep showing them! I'm glad to see you get it - that is, although the project is not rebuilding Rome, it is designed to teach you the tools - which I see is working. You'll soon be redoing the same project with the node editor. :)

I think that phone only rang once :) The main studio line (in my suite) is cut off when recording happens. That ring was my cell phone. As for the computer, it's a brand new Quad G5 Mac with 4 gigs of RAM. The computer never crashed. The software did. Doh!

Donnie - all US orders are out, other than new recent ones.

GandB
08-07-2006, 10:11 AM
I've been considering purchasing this course, as I now have LW9. My question is: Should I (as a beginner to LW) purchase the V9 course, or the V8 course; and is there a price difference between the two? I've only got enough money scraped up to get one tutorial set for LW, and Dan's seems to be the best to get me up to speed quickly (we've got a project that will start very shortly) and effectively. I'm leaning more towards the V9 course because of the inclusion of the Node Editor.

-Keith

RTSchramm
08-07-2006, 11:28 AM
Sorry Dan I should clarify that both of our Layout programs seemed to crash abit too much.

I turned down the bump map. The final image so far took 10 minutes to render. I'm using a p4 3.4Ghz with 4 Gbyte of RAM.

Rich

dablan
08-07-2006, 10:58 PM
I've been considering purchasing this course, as I now have LW9. My question is: Should I (as a beginner to LW) purchase the V9 course, or the V8 course; and is there a price difference between the two? I've only got enough money scraped up to get one tutorial set for LW, and Dan's seems to be the best to get me up to speed quickly (we've got a project that will start very shortly) and effectively. I'm leaning more towards the V9 course because of the inclusion of the Node Editor.

-Keith

Keith, if you're using LW9, get the LW9 course. It assumes nothing from previous courses. It's designed to get you up to speed quickly. Any questions, feel free to call me at the studio 847 755 4488 or email dablan at earthlink.net.

RTS - looking really good!

3DEagle
08-08-2006, 09:29 AM
Hi,

Just got a confirmation from the US Postal Service that my Signature order has been shipped...7 months ago. I quote:

>>>

"Label/Receipt Number: XXXXXXXXXXX

Your item left the United States from Chicago (O'Hare) AMC at 10:18 am on December 14, 2005. No further information is available for this item.

<<<<

...Guess it will show up any day now :)

Enjoy Sunshine in Life

Ole

dablan
08-08-2006, 09:43 AM
Hi Ole,
that's bizzarre. You know, one time my Mom was in China in 1980. In 1984, the postcard arrived.

Your order shipped yesterday. Feel free to email me directly to confirm tracking numbers.

3DEagle
08-08-2006, 01:05 PM
Hi,

No problemos...just thought it was so funny so I had to share it.

About your mother and the postcard: Could have been worse...it could have been the other way round...

Enjoy Your Day

Ole

Safe Harbor
08-08-2006, 01:21 PM

-Keith

I agree with Dan - if you're using v9, you need the v9 training. v9 is very different from v8 and the v8 training will probably confuse you more than help you in certain areas.

GandB
08-08-2006, 01:47 PM
I see that version 9 is a little bit less expensive anyways. Since we're in development of a game that will be using 2D rendered-3D entities, learning the new node editors would probably be wise. Thanks for both your responses.

-Keith

RTSchramm
08-08-2006, 10:37 PM
Dan,

I was getting to the Node editor portion of your DVD course and two of the movie files were labeled "27_Close.mov" and "27_NodeIntro_a.mov". It looks like the file "27_Close.mov" is the end of the watch project. I didn't notice this until I copied the contents of both DVDs into one folder. I renamed the file "to 37_Close.mov" which puts this file at the end of the watch project where I think you intended it to be.

Done with the crate project for now. I still have some issues and things I'd like to change, but I'll wait until I finish the course and come back to it later. I need more practice configuring the lights. There still lots to learn and so little time.

Still enjoying the course. Next stop the "Node" editor.

Rich

mj418
08-10-2006, 12:00 AM
$179.00 for the 17 hour course for LW 9 - that's really a good deal, there. Cell phone ringing included, notwithstanding. ;)
I didn't think it was out yet, figured it would be well after the next Inside book came out, so I hadn't even thought to check. Just shot up to the top of my "Gotta Have" list. :)

Dan, is there any possibility of getting these on DVD in DVD format? Or maybe consider future endeavours in that format? The vids included on Inside LW 8 were also .mov movies, and I converted them to dvd so I could watch them on my TV, thus freeing up my 'puter, but it took me a looong time to do it...plus it's cool to lay back on the couch in the living room and watch, too.
DVD format can still be played on a computer, as well.

Safe Harbor
08-10-2006, 08:41 AM
We have a ton of Dan's LightWave 9 Signature Courseware in stock, so if anyone is considering buying it, give us a call. We can ship immediately. Indeed, $179 for 17 hours is an AMAZING deal.

http://www.sharbor.com/products/AGAN3010005.html

GandB
08-10-2006, 09:19 AM
Is there any difference between ordering from Dan's site, and ordering from Safe Harbor; or do you guys just take a bit of a cut?

-Keith

dablan
08-10-2006, 10:01 AM
No difference - we make a little less, but then we both make a sale.

GandB
08-10-2006, 10:08 AM
Well, then it'll be whoever can get it to me the quickest:)

colkai
08-10-2006, 11:22 AM
If you're in the USA, I'd get it from Dan, I sure would, give the guy every penny he deserves. :)

Safe Harbor
08-10-2006, 12:09 PM
No difference really in terms of what you'll get - we order in large quantities at a time, giving Dan more $$ than he'd get waiting for one sale at a time to come in... so supporting us (and other dealers) IS supporting Dan. Because if a product doesn't sell, we stop carrying it... [:(]

Earl
08-10-2006, 12:24 PM
Then the only solution is to order a copy from Safe Harbor AND from Dan. :D

Safe Harbor
08-10-2006, 12:53 PM
That is the IDEAL solution! Drinks all around...

GandB
08-10-2006, 01:39 PM
Then the only solution is to order a copy from Safe Harbor AND from Dan

Man, the wife's not gonna be happy with that choice!:D

RTSchramm
08-15-2006, 12:09 AM
I was just completeing course module 37_Watch_g.mov and was looking forward to rendering the watch. I figured Dan was going to show how to set this up. On the DVD there were several scene files missing the LWS extension. One of them looked like the watch scene, so I added the .LWS extension to the "Watch" file and then loaded it. It was the watch scene, but it would be nice if he explained why he choose the render settings and touched on texuring the wrist-band. I found the end of the watch project named "27_Close.mov", but that only shows the final rendering of the watch and summarizes briefly the techniques learned in the watch project.

Am I the only one missing this module?

Rich

dablan
08-15-2006, 12:16 AM
Rich,
often better to ask me directly than on a forum -

The rendering techniques are shown in the videos. Due to the time constrains the texturing of the wrist band is not detailed, but explained. It's very simple - an image map with a bump.

A reflection card is used to create the silver reflections. This is a flat luminous white polygon set to the top right of the watch. There is a good bit of surfacing on the watch project, even though it's primarily a modeling project.

Finally - as for extensions missing, I'll check that. Because these were all done on a Mac, I try to make sure that extensions are added for PC users.
Anything else, just let me know.

Thanks.

RTSchramm
08-15-2006, 05:08 AM
Sorry Dan,

When I got to the displacement maps video, you DID explain why you bypassed the render setup for the watch. project. Maybe, I should wait until I finish the course before I stick my foot in my mouth.

By the way, as far as the modeling goes, I starting to model inorganic stuff really quick. Now if I can just master the the texturing, lighting, animation, rendering, and etc.

Is there an offical email address that you want me to send future questions too in regards to the LW9 signature course?

Rich

GandB
08-15-2006, 07:58 AM
Hey Dan and/or Rich,

What items do you model (as a project) in the V9 series? Also, how extensive is the Node Editor training? Thanks guys.

-Keith

dablan
08-15-2006, 09:55 AM
Hey Rich, no problem. I was a little confused :)

Just email me anytime at dablan at earthlink dot net.

Keith, the Node Editor is covered a lot, but throughout LightWave.
You begin by building a shipping crate, texture it with the Surface Editor.
Then you re-texture it with the Node Editor as a comparison.
You create a moonscape with diplacement nodes, build, texture and render a wrist watch, rig a human, and much more. Visit the 3dgarage.com site
to see a full list. Thanks!

:lightwave

GandB
08-15-2006, 10:03 AM
I'll have to have a look then. I'm using my B-day next month as an excuse to get it.:D

-Keith

RTSchramm
08-15-2006, 07:39 PM
Keith

As I said in an earlier post, Dan's Signature 9 course assumes that the user has no experience with LW9. It is designed to bring a user up to an intermediate level in about 17 hours. This is a tough task considering the complexity of LW9.

That said, Dan teaches the basics of every major module in LW9. What he teaches extremely well is LW9's workflow concept, by using projects. You also learn to work around several of LW9's design flaws.

He touches on the basics of the node editor beyond what you will find on Newteks tutorial page. In the crate project, you first texture it with the traditional surface editor and later you re-texture it with the node editor. This was an excellent way to compare the two methods using the same project.

The node editor is a very complex system and deserves an entire book itself. I would suggest you read the LW9 documention on the node editor if you want more detailed information on ALL of the options that the node editor has to offer.

I attached some thumb nails of the crate and watch project from Dans course. Once I completed the project, I when back and experimented with some changes, so the attached thumbnails shows what a beginner like me can learn after about several hours of instructions. I didn't do the wrist band for the watch, I plan on coming back to that later.

Rich

dablan
08-15-2006, 07:52 PM
Looking really good Rich!
:bowdown:

GandB
08-15-2006, 08:53 PM
As I said in an earlier post, Dan's Signature 9 course assumes that the user has no experience with LW9.
Then I'll be the perfect candidate.:D

How much have you worked in other 3D packages before this, Rich; or were you just starting out in 3D? Nice work by the way.:thumbsup:

As soon as I can get the money, I plan on getting this course.

-Keith

RTSchramm
08-15-2006, 10:14 PM
Like I said earlier I tried pretty much every major 3D package, but I seemed to get nowhere with them. Most of them have an extremely steep learning curve. All of them have their plus and minuses, strengths and weaknesses etc. I think its a matter of personal taste as to which is the best 3D package. So LW9 seems to work for me. I started with LW beta 9. It wasn't until I bought Dans course when I started getting serious with creating 3D stuff.

So to answer you question, I was very familar with the LW9 interface before buying Dan's course. I just didn't know how to get it to do what I wanted.

Rich