PDA

View Full Version : studio production style

lilrayray77
07-19-2006, 04:29 PM
I was just wondering how many people use the studio production style. Does it increase workflow? It looks a little intimidating to me at the moment.

Celshader
07-19-2006, 04:44 PM
I was just wondering how many people use the studio production style. Does it increase workflow? It looks a little intimidating to me at the moment.

There's a page describing how it works here:
http://www.roninfx.com/studiopromenus/

I, too, was initially intimidated by these configs when I first saw them. However, everything I care about is available within two clicks, and almost nothing is hidden from the user. It will speed up your workflow, because you'll waste less time hunting down a given tool. Least, that's how it's worked out for me. :)

Ronin
07-19-2006, 05:50 PM
There's a page describing how it works here:
http://www.roninfx.com/studiopromenus/

Yes, I think once you read the docs and understand the basic philosophy behind them, they become clear and easy to use. You will almost always be able to find exactly what you are looking for if you simply break it down into it's simplest component.:thumbsup:

lilrayray77
07-19-2006, 06:48 PM
Alrighty, well better start cracking at it. Thanks for the comments, the tools do really look more accessable.

colkai
07-20-2006, 03:16 AM
At first, they throw you off big style, after a while, you realyl get into them and have trouble adapting to the "old way" if you revert to an earlier version of LW for something. :)

My next big task, organise all my 3rd party plugins into a similar menu vein. Eek! :)

Bog
07-20-2006, 05:33 AM
Whenever I've been teaching LW in the past, I state that LW is brilliant to learn as all the tools are right there, in their interactive modes. The more complex, precision-control stuff lives one level down where you can bring it up easily, but it isn't always in yer face.

Studio Production Style brings much more of the power to the surface, and makes things a lot faster and easier for those who're experienced with the tools and already have a handle on what they do.

I love it with my heart.

EmperorPete
07-20-2006, 07:43 AM
I love 'em. Easy to navigate and very well thought out. A lot of effort went into them, and it shows.

Qslugs
07-20-2006, 12:17 PM
The only problem I can see with the presets, if you use them and try following along in the manual, you will have a hard time locating some things. Which to me ends up being annoying because the studio presets are superior to the default settings.

Sande
07-20-2006, 01:13 PM
I still use the old presets in modeller (I use most of the tools with keyboard shortcuts anyway), but I did change to studio configs in layout and I really like them. Takes some time to get used to but I already find them much better than the old ones. :)

Jockomo
07-20-2006, 11:37 PM
Looks great, but where do you download the presets from?

Phil
07-21-2006, 03:03 AM
The studio menu preset is in the 'edit menus' dialog. There is a small drop down menu in the top right of that dialog and you can select it there. Note that you may want to save your existing config out if you customised it ;)

Disappointingly, you cannot add saved configs to that drop-down. You also cannot change menu layouts 'on the fly' - which would extend the tabbed interface nicely and make it less all-encompassing. Something akin to the modelling/animation/dynamics modes in Maya and XSI.... Hope for that in 9.x :)

WhiteBoy
07-21-2006, 03:07 AM
Might be a good idea to get used to it. I believe I read somewhere that the studio menu setup will eventually become default. Don't take my word for it though. I may have been dreaming.

Bliz
07-21-2006, 07:46 AM
I use the Studio Menu presets now since v9. I haven't changed menu configs since v6 so I missed all the v7 and v8 changes which I think made things easier for me.

Overall the Studio menus are better but the only niggle I have about them is that in modeler, selecting a loop or ring is a bit of a mission. You use these commands more than some of the esoteric selection commands you'll pass on your way to selecting a ring or loop. I've now setup keyboard shortcuts for these two functions now so all is well.

BeeVee
07-21-2006, 08:49 AM
Don't forget you can also export menu branches so that you can export the branch where they're located and import it into the Top Menu Group so that those functions will be on every single tab, the same as they are in the standard LWv9 config.

B

jbarker
07-21-2006, 11:31 AM
I've never used them before reading this thread. One of those things "overlooked" I guess. But I MUCH prefer the studio layout to the default!

lilrayray77
07-21-2006, 01:31 PM
yeah, I am getting used to it and I find it easier to navigate. Less switching back and forth I think.