PDA

View Full Version : ANIMATRIX cel shaded 3d content

cresshead
06-03-2003, 02:54 PM
hi
i know they used maya etc for "the flight of the osiris" but many segments of the other shorts also have major bits of 3d in there..anyone have any good links to
who/what they used to get the cel shaded 3d elements....i'm thinking that quite alot of japanese anime studios used to use lightwave...does this still hold true nowdays?

BTW it looks very nice esp the 3d stuff in "beyond".

i think i saw a maya screenshot in some of the making of but i could be wrong....

steve g
www.cresshead.com
[email protected]

e n d o f l i n e

Rei
06-03-2003, 03:12 PM
XSI i think because they thank them in the creds.

WizCraker
06-03-2003, 09:59 PM
Does make you wonder as alot of the Asian studios like to use Lightwave...and Shade.

cresshead
06-04-2003, 04:13 AM
the softimage credit could be for the flight of the orisis rather than all the 3d content in the 9 films...

btw my fav film is beyond

steve g

Rei
06-04-2003, 03:17 PM
It was from Second Ren that the Softimage cred was from, not Osiris (i watch the credits for fun! gota love that music!)

Great work though wasnt it all

cresshead
06-05-2003, 12:03 PM
i like 5 out of the 9 shorts....beyond, kids story, final flight and the second ren p 1 & 2

program, world record and matriculated sux...

detective story was a bit lame really.

final flight lacked weight in the fight scene..seems as they had 2 separate motion caputers of people with swords placed in one scene...

beyond was the tops with it's animation/style and origonal story
and kids story had the closest tie in with the second film

steve g

Rei
06-05-2003, 12:13 PM
dude Square dont have mocap. this is there thing, that they hand animate all the char movments, the same as with FF.

Damn it my DVD still hasnt come, i get things from Japan faster than this!

cresshead
06-05-2003, 12:25 PM
errr..yes they do!

**dude Square dont have mocap. this is there thing, that they hand animate all the char movments, the same as with FF. **

that's mo capped to death...both final fantasy the spirits within and this short...have you not seen the making of the film where they show the mo caps off?

if they hand animated they could put some weighting in simply with ik etc...

i think you maybe thinking about PIXAR....they ALWAYS hand animate..no mo cap in sight though they do use video reference of themselves acting out the scenes.

steve g

lone
06-06-2003, 12:15 PM
if i remember correctly, SQUARE uses MOCAP for body movements, and hand animates the faces (it's in one of these CINEFEX books, somewhere). OSIRIS and BEYOND are my favorites. looked to me like there was a little CGI in just about all of them.

Rei
06-06-2003, 01:29 PM
i was watchin the DVD of FF, and i sware i heared one of the lead animators talkin about how they hand animated all of the movements. but i was probably just *dreamin* *sigh

I loved A Detective Story, lovin that style.

cresshead
06-06-2003, 02:20 PM
no you wern't dreaming!...thatwas the part where they described how they hand animated the space scenes where she floated around inside the spaceship and also the kissing scene with grey...they said it would have been harder to mo cap an actor held up with wires to get the floating effect of zero gravity...

BUT

all the other on earth animation was made with motion capture
for the characters running around etc.

steve g

Rei
06-06-2003, 03:50 PM
good well i was sorta right. ill just go and sit in my little hole from now on then...

Freak
06-08-2003, 07:18 PM
I believe Softimage and XSI were used for most of the 3D stuff.
(Mainly XSI 2.0) They also use Softimage Toonz...

H Studio in Japan also have licences of LW3D, RETAS, ANIMO
and a bunch of other programs too. I believe that several studios were sought because of some problems mixing 3D and traditional techniques. Flame and Inferno was used for grading and compositing. (Avid Softimage and XSI actually approached the producers to be involved in Animatrix)

A little birdy tells me LW was actually used on the "the 2nd renaissance" :)

Final Flight of the Osiris from Square USA, done with Maya, Renderman, Shake and Illusion, Flame for compositing.
SQB Rendermanagement, Proprietry shaders, particle and motion capture software.

FFOTO was around my 7 or 8th favourite short.....

Japan uses Animation to tell story's and entertain (they way it should be) Western culture uses Animation to sell "happy meals"
and "GI Joe" dolls, and to keep kids quiet for an hour or so...

Kid's Story, Beyond and Matriculated were all excellent IMHO...
Great use of the medium.......

beverins
06-10-2003, 12:44 PM
... at least according to Computer Graphics magazine, which has a front-cover story about Animatrix. Was used in Matriculation, Kid's Story, Beyond, Second Renaissance if I remember the article correctly...

Freak
06-10-2003, 04:13 PM
Yeah it would not surprise me......
All though it would surprise me, if LW was allowed to be mentioned..... LW is usually the dirty little secret.

I see on an interview with CG Channell
that LW was not mentioned on the Cinesite review of X2.
Houdiini and Maya were mentioned but no LW....

However LW was used on at least two sequences, that i know of.
LW and renderman were used for several shots..

I believe a lot of software was used in the Animatrix...
I believe multiple packages were being used, before Softimage was introduced as a partner.

But money talks and promotion walks....