PDA

View Full Version : layout modeler tools?

kamullis
07-19-2006, 04:26 PM
ok can someone please tell me how newtek can add a whole new tab in layout called modeler tools and then not provide any documentation on how they actually work. do they actually work? because i can't get them to do anything. i was so excited about the prospect of doing point ediditing in layout which was one of my biggest reasons for upgrading. instead i have a tab full of tools that come with no explanation in the manuals and don't actually seem to do anything. i am a huge fan of lightwave but this is just rediculous to advertise new upgrades like this and not provide any information on them. does anyone out there know what kind of benefits these new tools provide or where i could get ahold of some information on what they actually do?

dgill
07-19-2006, 04:50 PM
You have to add a null first to create any primitives. You can't do point editing yet, although I imagine that will come sometime in the 9.x cycle

SCS5
07-19-2006, 05:29 PM
I'm REALLY REALLY hoping they don't half *** the integration of Modeling tools in Layout. This was my primary reason for upgrading to 9. Animated Modeling, Finally a fast work-flow, Etc. Right now adding a null before you can do ANYTHING is looking REALLY BAD!:thumbsdow

kamullis
07-19-2006, 05:46 PM
ah so i'm not the only one dissapointed by the hyp of the modeling tools in layout. i was really expecting point control. the prospect of being able to modify joint deformations in layout and maybe have jointmorph capabilities that actually worked well had me so stoked. oh well at least we have edge control now and i'm defenitely satisfied with my free cad tools and vue 5.

Celshader
07-19-2006, 05:49 PM
I'm REALLY REALLY hoping they don't half *** the integration of Modeling tools in Layout. This was my primary reason for upgrading to 9. Animated Modeling, Finally a fast work-flow, Etc. Right now adding a null before you can do ANYTHING is looking REALLY BAD!:thumbsdow

I guess it depends on whether you're looking at the existing toolset or the possibilities for future tools in 9.x. Right now a 3rd-party developer thinks things look good:

From http://www.newtek.com/forums/showpost.php?p=388956&postcount=46

It depends on how you look at it:
LW9 does not offer these by itself, but it lays the groundwork for this to be implemented by NewTek and 3rd parties.

E.g. in VoluMedic we can now create geometry (out of nothing) directly in Layout and we could do it animated too if we wanted to.

Think of things like geometry generated by a fluid dynamics system like Realflow being done directly in Layout without the need for object replacement. Tree- generators that dynamically generate trees, or Level Of Detail Plugins that dynamically reduce the polycount depending on distance to the camera are now possible. And much much more.
I am sure that we will soon see many, many 3rd party tools popping up that make use of this new feature.

-+-

From http://www.newtek.com/forums/showpost.php?p=389956&postcount=64

As I said before the value of the new modeling functions in Layout for 3rd parties if huge and I am sure you will soon see a lot of 3rd party plugins that will make use of that (besides NewTek adding the missing features in LW9.x).
The really cool part is that many of the modeler plugins should already work fine in Layout.

SCS5
07-19-2006, 06:42 PM
I'm still holding out, and hoping they do it right. But right now I'm a little disappointed in 9. In previous versions of LW the "new tools" they've added seemed to be patched together, there was virtually no continuity. Go here to adjust this, then go there to adjust that, even though the tool was related you'd have to go to 2 or 3 different places in Layout to make all the adjustments work. It seems to me at least that that is the direction Modeling Tools in Layout are going. Go to 1 menu to add a null, go to another to actually make a shape.:thumbsdow ****, they can't even give us a "cfg" file configured with ALL THE NEW TOOLS ADDED CORRECTLY! People are STILL asking on the forums where tools are hidden..Sloppy! Modeler tab documentation? NADA!... SLOPPY!

Celshader
07-19-2006, 06:58 PM
It seems to me at least that that is the direction Modeling Tools in Layout are going.

Well, if you won't take the VoluMedic programmer's word for it that things are good...the only thing to do is wait and see what NewTek and 3rd party folks do with the new mesh tools in Layout.

SCS5
07-19-2006, 07:13 PM
Cell, while I appreciate your never ending positive attitude, nothing ever improves when everybody says it's great, I love it, it's the best, Etc. I'm hoping Newtek does this (Modeling in Layout) right! This is the single most important change in Lightwave's history. It will take Lightwave to a whole new level in terms of animation, and work-flow capabilities. Allot of people are looking at the 9X cycle as Lightwave's last chance to play catch-up. They HAVE TO DO IT RIGHT!

Celshader
07-19-2006, 07:22 PM
...nothing ever improves when everybody says it's great...

I can't agree with that, but to each his own. :)

SCS5
07-19-2006, 07:37 PM
I can't agree with that, but to each his own. :)

Touché:) :) ..Have a good night....I really hope they do this right....OK.OK the glass is half full:)

You've got to remember I'm a New Yorker, ( sarcastic & blunt) :devil: although I've lived in California (Sonoma) for years too. My friends out west never understood a dry sense of humor though:)