PDA

View Full Version : Is it now possible to...

Jockomo
07-19-2006, 02:23 PM
...assign keyboard shortcuts to the mousewheel? (in 9)

I would really really... no REALLY like to set it so if I am holding down alt (like say to drag the screen in modeler) and I spin the mousewheel, it would zoom in or zoom out.

Wouldn't that be cool? AFAIK it's never been possible before, and I hope it's possible in 9, I think I remember it being requested in the past.

evenflcw
07-20-2006, 12:03 PM
It is if you use AutoHotkey, which can remapp the mousewheel to perform as ',' and '.'. But really NT should add some common mouse actions to the available shortcuts.

Autohotkey has the ability to compile it's scripts into executable files. So you need not be running the main application, just the compiled script. If you want I could compile my setup. There are a couple of others here who use this tool. Perhaps we should start a new sthread dedicated to Autohotkey!?

My current (always subject to change) setup is
Alt+LMB : Rotate view
Alt+MMB : Zoom view
Alt+RMB : Pan view
Wheel Up/Down : Zoom in/out (works with or without Alt/Ctrl/shift; doesn't matter)

Sande
07-20-2006, 12:15 PM
You probably knew this already, but alt+ctrl+lmb zooms, alt+shift+lmb moves and alt+lmb rotates the viewport. I'm so used to these that I wouldn't change them for anything.

evenflcw
07-20-2006, 12:21 PM
I just think those are needlesly complex :)

Sande
07-20-2006, 12:34 PM
Njaah, you don't even notice them after a while - they become your second nature. :)

Lewis
07-20-2006, 12:40 PM
And in LW instead using LMB you can use MMB also with combination of alt/shift/ctrl :)). Works witrh both mouse buttons same. But yes i agree we need more mouse buttons settings.

Bog
07-20-2006, 12:57 PM
As much as I hate to sound like I'm gently nuzzling up to Microsoft, the current Intellipoint drivers are really handy. I've got a slew of different presets for things, so the two thumb buttons switch to Drag and Knife or Weld and Unweld depending on what I'm doing. My default wheel behaviour in LW Layout seems to be switching from Move > Rotate > Scale, but a swift re-map sorted that out.

Woo Yay for five button roller mice with death rays :)

BeeVee
07-21-2006, 01:55 AM
Also worth noting that Alt mousewheel does zooming in Layout, Ctrl mousewheel moves the timeslider and shift mousewheel changes the selected object. This is just in Layout for the mo.

B

Phil
07-21-2006, 02:52 AM
The current implementation of mousewheel scrubbing is awkward because you need to scroll an awful lot to move any distance in the timeline and I also don't want to have to move my mouse down to the timeline to scrub back and forward because it breaks my workflow.

I'd like to be able to use a hotkey combination and middle click to scrub back and forward by moving the mouse left/right. Moving up/down could perhaps be useful to increase decrease the scrubbing sensitivity, although that might get irritatingly close to demanding perfectly mouse control, so a keyboard control might be better here.

The idea would be that the mouse cursor would not move at all during scrubbing that this and a nice addition would be to also have the current frame drawn over the mouse cursor so that you can keep from dropping your eyes to the timeline.

Bog
07-21-2006, 04:58 AM
Also worth noting that Alt mousewheel does zooming in Layout, Ctrl mousewheel moves the timeslider and shift mousewheel changes the selected object. This is just in Layout for the mo.

OOoOOOoo! Ta!

evenflcw
07-21-2006, 05:54 PM
Ok, here's my AutoHotkey setup... and a mouse wheel only setup that suits the initial posters request and which doesn't break the native mousewheel tool-toggling-thingamajig in Layout.

Within the zips you'll find an ahk-file and an exe-file. The ahk file is the code, in plain text, so you can open that up in notepad and have a look. The exe-file is the compiled version of the ahk-file. I believe anyone can run these and have the key-remapping working for them aswell. To anyone afraid I'm trying to give them a virus, a trojan or just plain trash their machine, please do not bother downloading!

If you like what you see but would like to make some changes or enhancements, get AutoHotkey! It's FREE (and opensource)! With the software installed you can run the uncompiled scripts directly.

AltPlusMinus (my setup):
Alt+LMB - Rotate View (Standard LW combo)
Alt+MMB - Zoom View
Alt+RMB - Pan View
WheelUp - Zoom In (works nomatter what else is pressed)
WheelDown - Zoom Out (works nomatter what else is pressed)

AltPlusWheel:
Alt+WheelUp - Zoom In
Alt+WheelDown - Zoom Out
This mouse wheel zoom setup is less sensitive (zooms in bigger steps) than the native one. But that may vary depending upon how your wheel is setup in whatever OS you're using. I don't know and don't care to test :)

http://www.autohotkey.com/

EDIT: MY BAD! I left a comment in there so these remappings worked for all windows with "LightWave" in the title (like IE browsing www.Lightwave3d.com :)). Now they should be more picky. If you downloaded before this edit you should obviously download again.

Jockomo
07-23-2006, 01:45 AM
evenflcw,

Thanks for taking the time to post all that stuff up, I'll definatly check it out.

Much appreciated!

hairy_llama
07-24-2006, 12:39 PM
works sweet with me... would be nice if the zoom function took the Y axis instead of the X axis of the mouse(using altPlusminus script)

evenflcw
07-24-2006, 01:12 PM
I agree with you there Amariah. It would be a more logical mapping. I did make an attempt at it but wasn't successfull. However, it does seem like most applications zoom axis is X rather than the Z axis (I tried the different mouse settings in Wings3D; That might not be a very reliable source though). I don't know why this is, I suppose maybe it's simply because it's an easier move to make. I'll probably make another attempt someday.