PDA

View Full Version : For meme-starved Firefly fans...

Bog
07-19-2006, 05:44 AM
http://www.donetheimpossible.com/index.php

Done the Impossible, a fan documentary of Firefly and Serenity, has gone gold.

Fancy some of that, I do.

colkai
07-19-2006, 07:51 AM
Ahh, well, pre-ordered did I, it was too shiny. :)

iconoclasty
07-19-2006, 08:07 AM
I yearn for Firefly like a lost lover.

ThriJ
07-19-2006, 03:22 PM
Cool!

And, I would love to see the interview with Orson Scott Card.

mouse_art
07-19-2006, 05:13 PM
Yes that is shiny. hehe

Penforhire
07-19-2006, 05:15 PM
Cool! Thanks for the link. I hadn't heard about this but my serotonin-like Firefly receptors are still firing!

Andyjaggy
07-19-2006, 06:03 PM
I just recently discovered Firefly and all I can say is why? Oh why were you canceled you cowboy space sci-fi humorous cool CG show.

Signal to Noise
07-19-2006, 08:48 PM
Oooh! Me like! ME LIKE!:dance:

Yog
07-20-2006, 05:10 AM
I thought it was a brillant touch that the cover art features the wooly hat Jane's mother sent him :D

Bog
07-20-2006, 04:38 PM
http://www.fireflyfans.net/thread.asp?b=2&t=22333

Beautiful.

Y'can't stop the Signal :) Reading that made me dig out the Serenity DVD (yeah, that took a long time, right next to the Firefly box-set in my monitor stand) and watch that quote. Fair made my eyes moist.

And now I've paused it with the Zoic Studios crew in front of me. Man, these names are dear and familiar.

Heh. I'm too sentimental, I really am.

Zane Condren
08-19-2006, 01:55 PM
I got the DVD yesterday, its a great piece of work.

Bog
08-19-2006, 04:45 PM
Just one more series. Please, Universe. just one more series. Or eight.

Zane Condren
08-19-2006, 05:18 PM
I would settle for a movie sequel.

gerry_g
08-19-2006, 05:26 PM
But how do you get back a Firefly series two from where the movie left off, two crew members dead, the enigma that was River blown, the laid back style of the first series replaced by the the inane gung-ho all action style of the movie, would it be a travesty ??

Zane Condren
08-19-2006, 05:45 PM
Something is better then nothing.

Bog
08-19-2006, 05:46 PM
I, as a brown-coat wearing Firefly Fan would be happy to ignore the movie entirely. Let's be honest - it was a good movie. But it wasn't Firefly.

iconoclasty
08-19-2006, 06:54 PM
Agreed 100% Forget the movie and run another season where season 1 left off.

gatz
08-19-2006, 07:31 PM
Serenity was frustrating. When you know how well Whedon handles long story arcs, the movie is like a friend paraphrasing a story. The mind boggles to imagine how the events would have unfolded over several seasons.

Firefly and Futurama are the reasons I don't get excited about anything on FOX.

iconoclasty
08-19-2006, 08:29 PM
OMG Futurama! More... salt... more.... wounds.

Tzan
08-20-2006, 10:06 AM
You guys beat me to it. Just start at the end of the last season :)

avkills
08-20-2006, 10:34 AM
The network was insanely stupid for canceling this show. I mean what's not to like, it is a Western, Sci-Fi, Action Comedy. ;)

-mark

Signal to Noise
08-20-2006, 11:05 AM
It was the network's own fault that ruined any chance of Firefly's survival. Anyone with the DVD set will know what I'm talking about. Look at the order of the episodes and their associated original air dates. If the show ever does make it back to the boobtube they had better get it right this time!

colkai
08-20-2006, 11:39 AM
I must be in a minority, I really enjoyed the film, sure it had to condense the story somewhat, but still, t'was shiny.

I'm still hoping they can at least do a couple of stright-to-DVD sequels if the sales of the series and movie DVD keep going.

Tzan
08-20-2006, 12:30 PM
Oh I liked the movie too!

Bog
08-20-2006, 01:01 PM
I must be in a minority, I really enjoyed the film,

Dah, good film. Darn good film. Big D*mn Movie!

But not actually Firefly. Same way Firefly isn't really a Western and even arguably might as well not be sci-fi ('cause Serenity could just as well be a truck, wet-boat, whatever as far as the stories are generally concerned)... it's... not quite Firefly.

gerry_g
08-20-2006, 02:34 PM
I liked the movie too, only thing is I saw Firefly first and liked it better. Wheden sold his soul to the devil (FOX), so long as he scripted good versus evil absolutist crap, i.e. – 'commando chic' -V- evil alien life form (Alien Four} savvy 'student chic' -V- satanic forces (Buffy) he was in solid, but Firefly was his béte noire, it was morally ambiguous as opposed to black and white, had a predominantly male cast instead of an 'action chic' hero lead and no clear focus as to where it was heading, or why. and no single clearly defined evil enemy. All the documentary interviews make it pretty clear Fox didn't like this project and just wanted more of what they were used to getting, I think the guy's given so much ground (particularly in getting movie green lit) there's no way back to where the first series was at.

colkai
08-21-2006, 02:36 AM
Dah, good film. Darn good film. Big D*mn Movie!

But not actually Firefly.
Yeah, but then, watching the extras and the "Done The Imppossible" DVD, Firefly wasn't really Firefly either, thanks to the 'genius' suits who wanted a happy funny Mal. Then, just for the fun of it, they show the series completely out of order to, gorramn idiots.

I don't care how it comes back, if it ever did, providing the cast was the same and Joss was at the helm. :)

Bog
08-21-2006, 02:43 AM
I don't care how it comes back, if it ever did, providing the cast was the same and Joss was at the helm.

From your beak to God's ears, Colkai.

Yog
08-21-2006, 04:52 AM
I must admit I came to the series via the film first (partly interest to see what LW could do on a full length feature), so obviously I like the film :thumbsup: But I do conceed the series was better.

I would like any follow on series to follow on from the original series, rather than the film, mainly because the two characters that didn't make it till the end of the film (names witheld to protect the inocent), had a lot more impact in the series. In fact for one of the characters that didn't make it through the film I was a bit "meh, so what, he has only a bit part", not realising what a really interesting character he was in the series.
On the other hand, River did make for a kick *** character by the end of the film, so it would be a little frustrated to see her half zombie-fied for any follow on series.

Penforhire
08-22-2006, 02:53 PM
They were defintely part of the ensemble so continuation SHOULD ignore that rancid movie. Okay, I liked most of the movie but the series, and the ensemble cast, meant more to me.