PDA

View Full Version : Highly precise printing and transparent gloves

DiedonD
07-19-2006, 02:23 AM
Does anyone knows how could I print in color a 2d picture, where the front of the hand picture is on the front of the page and the backf of the hand is on the back of the page.

To be more clear, if we were to scan my front hand, and save the picture on the computer. Then scan the other side of the hand, and save the picture on the computer again. And lets say that if you put one after the other on Photoshop, they perfectly match (or we tweak of they dont), how would I be able to print the pictures on the same single paper, so as the front page that will have the front picture of the hand, would perfectly match the other side of the paper where the other side of the hand picture is printed. It should be so precise, that you should be able to cut with scissors the paper, without cutting away the picture material in neither side.

Also, has anyone heard of any new technology, that would enable my hands to be transparent. I know so far the use of Color Keying, which is good, but it also keys out the body of the character that Im pupeteering. Transparent gloves should be the aim, enabling me to pose the character in realtime. If im talking sci fi, or you know something that its close to that please let me know.

Any comment is appreciated :) . Thanks.

jasonazure
07-19-2006, 02:40 AM
????8~

Bog
07-19-2006, 03:05 AM
Also, has anyone heard of any new technology, that would enable my hands to be transparent. I know so far the use of Color Keying, which is good, but it also keys out the body of the character that Im pupeteering. Transparent gloves should be the aim, enabling me to pose the character in realtime. If im talking sci fi, or you know something that its close to that please let me know.

Well, if you want to go high tech...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RvOHO3SP64Q&search=invisibility%20cloak

Or if you want to go low-tech, pull on a pair of blue latex gloves and film your hands in front of a blue-screen then chromakey it out.

Unless the thing you're puppeteering has blue on it. Any unique solid colour should do.

Rayek
07-19-2006, 03:20 AM
As to your first problem:

Okay, first option would be using something like InDesign to create two pages with exact same measurements. Problem would be aligning them, though, and involves some trial and error.

I prefer the following option for these kind of paper projects:

Second option: use pepakura. Make a simple model in lighwave, place the the scans of the back and front of your hand as textures and use pepakura to create a paper 3d-model. At first this might also involve some trial and error on your part, but is quite usable and controllable in the end.

steps:

1) create a flat cube in LW
2) create two surfaces: "Front" & "Back"
3) select the front and back polygons of the cube. Apply the front and back surfaces.
4) load the respective images in those surfaces. (make sure you got them nicely aligned in Photoshop, Paintshop, or whatever you're using. Both scans must have the same dimensions)
5) make sure the cube has the same relative dimensions as your scans
6) they should now align. (If in doubt, increase the transparancy of your front polygon face and temporarely flip the normal of the back face and see it they match. Don't forget to remove the transparancy and flip the normal of the back face again when you're ready for the next step)
7) Load up pepakura and create a paper model to your liking.
8) print to paper, or better, if you have some kind of pdf-export (several are freely available on the net) print to a pdf.
9) cut and glue. You don't need the side faces, but it adds some thickness to your project, if needed.

By the way, pepakura is way cool to create physical versions of simple models, or even more complex models in parts. Download at:

http://www.tamasoft.co.jp/pepakura-en/

It's not free, but very cheap. It's one of those programs that shows how original people's thinking can get. It's Japanese, of course. Only in the country of origami, I suppose :-)

Cheers,

R.

DiedonD
07-19-2006, 06:50 AM
Regarding Pepakura, its amazing really. They make 3D Paper characters by it. It simply unwrapps the character, and then you print, cutt and glue making it appear live and there in front of you. Rayek, im eternally indebbed to you :thumbsup: . I really mean it man. Contact me for anything you may need.

Bog (Or God :) ), thanks for the link, I appreciate it, im checking out weather it would suit my needs, but its really amazing what Joecooool does on that movie. I send him a message and am awaiting a response. How do you suppose he does it?
By the way the Croma Key, that keys out colores that my characters shouldnt posses, doesnt works for me. Cause I do hold the character you know, and if my blue gloves touch the character, and I key the blue color away, a part from the character keys out also.
But maybe Joe does something like that. I did told him this too. He could first just capture a scene or an image. Then stand on a bluescreen. Then come in to the camera with blue cloathes, cubes and bowles, and key them all out with Alpha on the backscreen in AE.
Gosh, I so hope Im wrong on this one.
If theres another way to bring forward the back image up front, it would be highly interesting, and very required for me.
But how do you think he did it, any ideas?