PDA

View Full Version : SpeedEdit and Premiere Pro 2???

alvin_cgi
07-19-2006, 01:13 AM
I am just about to buy Adobe Production Studio Premium, but I have notice that people are talking about NT SpeedEdit, any big difference between/advantage comparing SpeedEdit and Premiere Pro 2?? I can't find many info about SpeedEdit, only one page to read here, or do you guys knows any links for more in-depth about SpeedEdit.

badllarma
07-19-2006, 01:41 AM
Hi alvin_cgi,
Well I'm afraid no one could really answer your question as yet as it's not out yet and those that are using it are no doubt under NDA's.

I'm running a VT 4.6 and the edit in that is simlar to Speededit (in looks but like I say , not used it yet). I've come from Premiere it takes a bit of getting used to but is very quick infact the VT 4.6 edit leaves Prem for dust with speed, no rendering for starters! To get that in Prem you willl need to add some hardware to your bundle.

The fact they are now adding multi format editing is very cool indead, and long overdue IMO. If they can get that speed that is currently in VT 4.6 in SpeedEdit with HDV, and 2k resolution for the price your starting to look at an AVID killer never mind Prem Pro!!

The Adobe Production Suite has alot of applications in it so you cannot really compare the whole suite to SpeedEdit but editor on editor I'm sure SpeedEdit will live upto it's name over Prem Pro, but like I say again I've not used it yet.

Qslugs
07-19-2006, 08:45 AM
I have a question. I was thinking about upgrading to Premiere pro 2.0, my upgrade dollars could be spent on Speed Edit instead of Premiere. Does anyone know if there will be any sort of competetive crossgrade? Also, a concern of mine is that if I use speed edit, I will lose a bunch of functionality that I have using premiere with Adobe Encore DVD. Is anyone considering output to DVD authoring programs and Speed Edit? Im specifically concerned about outputting chapter points and mpeg compression.

Safe Harbor
07-19-2006, 11:47 AM
We had Ralph here in our studio last week for a NewTek demo day, and he showed SE. This is what I gleaned...

In comparison to most other NLEs (not just PPro) - SE is a TRUE nonlinear editor. The major NLEs on the market (PPro, Avid, Vegas, etc) still work in a linear fashion using a timeline and bins. You import your video files to the software so you can organize them in your software - but aren't they most likely already organized on your hard drive? Why redo it? Why import? Why not work right off your hard drive? Makes sense to me!!

And in other NLEs, moving a clip from one part of the timeline to another or shortening/lengthening clips is a SERIOUS headache requiring multiple steps. Also, viewing the timeline is difficult on large projects. SE has much more intuitive controls for zooming and navigating on the timeline, as well as very VERY simple ways of performing edits on one or all clips (moving them, fitting to a song, adding transitions... all done with just one or two mouse clicks). Adding mark-in and mark-out points was a simple tap of the spacebar...

As far as DVD authoring goes, SE allows you to use your favorite authoring program like Ecore, etc. Ralph did not show us the export to DVD feature because he was using a beta version that did not have that part finished yet, but he assured us that it will be a very simple process, keeping in line with the "fastest (and easiest) editor on the planet" theme.

We had Jeff Pulera, a SH employee and a professional videographer in our studio during Ralph's demo, and he was completely blown away by how easy everything was in SE. He came out of the room just amazed at how much more intuitive SpeedEDIT is. SE is TRULY nonlinear.

SE is something you have to see to believe. It is so EASY - you basically just THINK it and you do it. The learning curve is going to be very shallow for new editors, and I truly hope NewTek starts to pound this product in all the major video editing magazines and websites.

Qslugs
07-19-2006, 12:20 PM
well if it easily integrates into encore, they may well have a sale with me.

Safe Harbor
07-19-2006, 02:03 PM
I would think that the resulting files that SE creates will/should easily be imported into Encore, and pretty much any DVD software. But I don't think SE will be INTEGRATED with Encore.

alvin_cgi
07-19-2006, 07:43 PM
The Adobe Production Suite has alot of applications in it so you cannot really compare the whole suite to SpeedEdit but editor on editor I'm sure SpeedEdit will live upto it's name over Prem Pro, but like I say again I've not used it yet.

You are right, cant compare Adobe Production Studio to SE...

SpeedEdit does sounds very good to me, perhaps NT can do some sort of competetive crossgrade from... Lightwave!!:agree: Then I can have both!:thumbsup:

alvin_cgi
07-19-2006, 09:30 PM
Hi all, here are some "extra" info about SpeedEdit at Spinquad site.:)

http://www.spinquad.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=66

alvin_cgi
07-25-2006, 06:29 PM
well... :mad: lets hope NT will have more info about SE for us...SOON :sleeping: