PDA

View Full Version : Really Annoying!

RedBull
07-19-2006, 12:48 AM
Something that really annoys me about Lightwave9.0 is the really annoying
Renderstatus Panel that no longer automatically closes.

For example i use Ernie Wrights QV4.0 for as My Renderdisplay.
In Lightwave 8.5 i hit F9 render the the frame, and the LW Render Panel closes and the Image appears in the QV4.0.

Somewhere along the Beta builds of Lightwave 9.0, this annoying habit of it the render panel waiting for me to press escape after every test render is completely annoying me and adding an extra click of a mouse and the Esc key on every render.... That really adds up and detracts from workflow.

Can this PLEASE be addressed in 9.x, it's such a simple fix for Newtek.
And as such 8.5 is far more pleasant to do test renders with for this reason.

With such nice addition to workflow in Load From Scene, and Content Paths,
it's really annoying that they added this extra click of the buttons to my workflow. As minor a problem as it may sound.

I was kinda hoping the final release version would of fixed it. Doh!

BazC
07-19-2006, 01:29 AM
I've always had to press continue or abort after an f9 on Mac, I didn't realise it was any different on Windows!

RedBull
07-19-2006, 02:14 AM
Hmmm..... You know i just checked it again.

Yeah it seems that with Image Viewer/FP it always asks for confirmation.
But with Ernie's QV4.0 it does not. But in LW9, Ernies QV4.0 also asks for the extra click. This was the main reason i love Ernies plugin, **** it.

Maybe he added an autoconfirm in QV4.0 to auto close the dialog.
I will ask to see if he could possibly update it, makes such a big difference to test renders.

Looking at all the Betas i beleive it happend when we got the newer render panel in LW9 Beta's.
The new panel with all the extra status, can't remember what build that was, but that's when it broke!

Exception
07-19-2006, 03:51 AM
I always have to click it away too... the only really nasty new thing for me now is, that is sits on top of the preview! I mean, that's just silly.

Quote from ernie wright's page:
"QV automatically dismisses LightWave's Render Status dialog box. "
I guess that's broken now?

Thing is, that I want to know how long my render took... since QV shows it itself, it can dismiss the panel, but LW's previewer does not show the render time, and thus it is not such a bad idea to keep it open... me thinks. But you hate it. I will give you... for your pain... once dutch biscuit with a strawberry.

I havn't heard in... 1000 centuries from Ernie. Is he okay?

RedBull
07-19-2006, 04:51 AM
I always have to click it away too... the only really nasty new thing for me now is, that is sits on top of the preview! I mean, that's just silly.

Quote from ernie wright's page:
"QV automatically dismisses LightWave's Render Status dialog box. "
I guess that's broken now?

Thanks for that, i'd figured as much.... Yes i imagine it may be different or no longer working. Which is a real shame.

Thing is, that I want to know how long my render took... since QV shows it itself, it can dismiss the panel, but LW's previewer does not show the render time, and thus it is not such a bad idea to keep it open... me thinks. But you hate it. I will give you... for your pain... once dutch biscuit with a strawberry.

Hehehe, Thanks! :) Actually LW's surface editor defaulting to the first surface in the surface list, rather than the last selected, and this extra dialog
annoyance are total workflow killers for myself, you wrestle with those two problems over a 12 hour day, and see how many extra clicks and button presses you need to do, i reckon an hours worth some days.
But since QV4 has done it for me over the 8.x. i've only had the one annoyance.

Yes i have pestered Deuce before, QV4 was released, to add an option to Autoclose On/Off this dialog... (never made it)

I can't see why it would not be easy to enable the autoconfirm option to close the render dialog, if the Alert Level is set to EXPERT....
By default this should turn off all these sorts of dialogs in my opinion.
It's an easy fix, that enables it to work as currently or be discarded if you set the alert level high enough.... To me it would be a simple to code.

I havn't heard in... 1000 centuries from Ernie. Is he okay?

Despite not working for NT in for a few years, he is still active on the LW-P and Lscript mailing lists, and his knowledge of LW development and architecture is still an invaluable assett to the community.

Exception
07-19-2006, 05:05 AM
Actually LW's surface editor defaulting to the first surface in the surface list, rather than the last selected, and this extra dialog
annoyance are total workflow killers

YES

I reported that 10 times already... oooohhh, it ANNOYS me so! Modeler is even worse cos when you have multiple objects open it selects the first surface of the first object, which is probably not even the object you're working on...
Try tweaking a surface, closing SE, opening it again, shoot, gotta hunt down the surface first...
That's another reason for Fprime... ha.

Although I still wouldn't like the render dialog to close on me :)
Just make it an option...

Anyone listening?
Give us a sign!
:)

RedBull
07-19-2006, 05:20 AM
YES

I reported that 10 times already... oooohhh, it ANNOYS me so! Modeler is even worse cos when you have multiple objects open it selects the first surface of the first object, which is probably not even the object you're working on...
Try tweaking a surface, closing SE, opening it again, shoot, gotta hunt down the surface first...
That's another reason for Fprime... ha.

Although I still wouldn't like the render dialog to close on me :)
Just make it an option...

Anyone listening?
Give us a sign!
:)

Heheh, I'm so glad someone else agree's with me on that point..
It's just such a plain silly oversight.. It is exactly as you said it.
Both these things from a coding perspective are really trivial
and would take only a matter of hours to implement from NT.
Yet cost me days of tedious work per year.

It may sound silly but i have often used XSI's Shadertree.
just because of how many times lately i have
accidentally tweaked the first surface and not my
desired previously selected one.. Frustrating!!

As i said the render dialog issue could be done through
alert levels, and autoconfirm it would be easy to do
without affecting other users.

Exception
07-19-2006, 08:15 AM
As i said the render dialog issue could be done through
alert levels, and autoconfirm it would be easy to do
without affecting other users.

Noi cos I have my alert level on the lowest ever, EVER and I think that's a fantastic workflow tool, but still dont want the render panel to go pop by itself.

Train a small rodent to do it for you in the meantime :)

Bog
07-19-2006, 09:33 AM
I've always had to dismiss the render status pane after an F9 or 11, but I'm with you on the surface-selection thing.

dablan
07-19-2006, 10:00 AM
On an F9 current frame render, the render panel will not close.
If you're doing an F10 animation render, it will, even if it's just one frame.
This is the same for Mac or PC.

RedBull
07-19-2006, 01:34 PM
Thanks for the responses, Ernie messaged me this morning with the known problem and fixes to solve it, a new build of QV4 was released that solves and fixes the dialog issue. Phew! Thanks to Ernie for doing so.

"Also, because the name of the Render Status window in LightWave 9.0 has changed, this build of QV takes some additional steps necessary in 9.0 to find and automatically close it.

QV's automatic dismissal of LightWave's Render Status panel can now be disabled. After running and exiting LightWave at least once with this build of QV, load QV's config file, qv4.cfg, into a plain text editor and change the 1 to a 0 in the line reading"

As you can see exception there is a config file, where i can set 0 or 1 to allow the the dialog box to be closes.... Simple to keep it how you like it, and how others want it.... Best of both worlds.. :)

Anyway thanks to all......
Now about that surface editor thing.. ;)

mjcrawford
07-19-2006, 01:54 PM
On an F9 current frame render, the render panel will not close.
If you're doing an F10 animation render, it will, even if it's just one frame.
This is the same for Mac or PC.

I know this has always been the case, but it seams backwards to me! if I am doing a 'test' render I just want to see the image, but when rendering a final output I could understand some kind of click to confirm that it is done since I normaly walk away from my computer and when I come back I just see nothing.. that can make me nervious... oh well.. what do I know...