PDA

View Full Version : Is it worth the price?

Tony3d
07-18-2006, 04:45 PM
So is it worth upgrading from 8.5 to 9.0? 8.5 runs very stable for me on my G5. Is the stability as good, and are the additional feature really worth it?

toby
07-18-2006, 11:40 PM
I think it's worth it, even if it's only for the double-speed renders; it's like getting another machine for rendering. Or doubling your render farm. But it's not quite as stable yet, random crashes are more common.

ercaxus
07-19-2006, 12:40 AM
If you're heavily into modeling and/or character animation you can wait for the next point versions for upgrade. If you are not, then go ahead, upgrade and start playing with nodes, and the new cameras, there's a lot to learn.

BazC
07-19-2006, 01:45 AM
So is it worth upgrading from 8.5 to 9.0? 8.5 runs very stable for me on my G5. Is the stability as good, and are the additional feature really worth it?

LW9 is more stable than 8.5 for me and Nodal is worth the upgrade alone! :D I wouldn't get too exited over the render speed improvement until you've tried it though. It depends entirely on the kind of scenes you're rendering. If you're handling 2 million polys or more with Monte Carlo radiosity and lots of transparency you should see a huge improvement.

If like me your dealing with scenes up to a million or so polys with little use of radiosity or transparency you probably won't see much difference.

parm
07-19-2006, 01:48 AM
I think it's certainly worth the price.

Nodal alone, makes it well worth while. It's very different, very powerful. You'll want to be learning it asap.

Modeler has been very stable for me.

If I had to go back to 8.5 now, I'd really miss the ability to select and manipulate edges, ( couldn't see the point of edges, before using them), Catmull-Clark subpatches and Edge weighting just make me smile. All my favourite 3rd party plug-ins from 8.5 still work in 9.0.

LW 9.0 is still a wip, with more additions and refinements to come. There are still some stability issues and bugs outstanding. Overall though, my impression is that LW 9.0 stability is better than 8.5.

System specs: Dual 2.5 GHz PowerPC G5: OS 10.4.7: 4.5GB DDR SDRAM: ATI 9600 XT 128 MB VRAM.

paul summers
07-19-2006, 10:38 AM
LW9 is more stable than 8.5 for me too.
8.5 was crap on the mac lots more bugs

The only thing i hate is the HUB well past its sell by date.

Tony3d
07-19-2006, 05:24 PM
For some reason 8.5 has been the most stable version for my 2.7gig G5. If 9 is as stable I'd be very happy. The only time Lightwave ever crashes in 8.5 is when I quit. I typically run very large scene's with very high resolution texture maps of 5-8 megs each. What type of random crashing are we talking about here?