PDA

View Full Version : 8.5 Modeler opengL > 9,

sudac20
07-18-2006, 12:30 PM
I cant even use 9's modeler it is painfully slow, yet I have no problems in 8.5. NT really needs to release an update soon. I thought 9 was going to be the most “stable Lightwave ever.” As of now I feel LW 9 is a mess. Don’t get me wrong I understand that they are trying to catch LW up with the times and they have a lot work to do but I don’t feel they should have released it yet. Clearly there is a lot of optimizing that needs to be done. A lot of people are giving LW one last chance (9 cycle) and I hate to see them blow it. I like the direction 9 is taking but it needs some polish, lots of polish.

jwilli3
07-18-2006, 01:03 PM
Considering that the Open GL in 9 Modeler hasn't been overhauled yet and stability and speed are diffrent issues, what exactly are you complaining about? You seem to be inferring that Newtek lied about 9's stability because you don't like 9's Modeler Open GL speed.

Lewis
07-18-2006, 02:08 PM
Hi Sudac20 !

I'd check/clear configs in your place, also check your firewall settings. LW9 modeler is same speed as 8.5 for me and when working with SubPatches it's few times faster when you hit TAB (on/off subPatches) than in LW 8.5. I have some models with 50 000 SubPatches and to turn them off in 8.5 i'd need to wait 15-20 secnds after hiting key and same that thing in 9 is finsihed in 5-6 seconds. I'm looking forward to Modeler OpenGL optimizations but right now 9 is not slower than 8.5 nor it's less stable for me. 9 is more stable than 8.5 for majority of users so it must be something in your system/configs what's causing it.

cheers

lots
07-18-2006, 02:50 PM
I agree, 9, since late OBs has been quite stable for me. Modeler's OGL is not faster than 8.5's, but NT said it wouldn't be, as the optimizations are in Layout this go 'round.

No problems on my end...

sudac20
07-19-2006, 06:42 AM
Hi Sudac20 !

I'd check/clear configs in your place, also check your firewall settings. LW9 modeler is same speed as 8.5 for me and when working with SubPatches it's few times faster when you hit TAB (on/off subPatches) than in LW 8.5. I have some models with 50 000 SubPatches and to turn them off in 8.5 i'd need to wait 15-20 secnds after hiting key and same that thing in 9 is finsihed in 5-6 seconds. I'm looking forward to Modeler OpenGL optimizations but right now 9 is not slower than 8.5 nor it's less stable for me. 9 is more stable than 8.5 for majority of users so it must be something in your system/configs what's causing it.

cheers

Thanks I'll give it a try

iainbyoung
07-19-2006, 06:47 AM
LW9 modeler was a bit unstable for me whereas 8.5 worked absolutely fine. I just upgraded to the latest Nvidia drivers, and now the LW9 modeler is working fine as well. Looks like the new modeler is using opengl slightly differently to the old one...

Kurtis
07-19-2006, 08:08 AM
Not pointing fingers at anyone in particular here, just a gentle reminder please.

Some people are going to experience problems others aren't. It's the nature of software, especially at this level. There are just too many possible configurations of hardware/software/drivers anymore for there to ever be 100% compatibility.

If you're experiencing problems, simply asking for assistance is going to go the farthest to getting you help from other users fastest.

If you're not experiencing the same problems the person asking is, don't dismiss the fact that the person feels frustrated by the fact that they are having a problem you're not.

Whichever side you land on, it's human nature to assume you're in the majority, but as has been exemplified in any number of threads over the last week, your mileage will vary. :)

Exception
07-19-2006, 08:16 AM
Sudac: Following several of your posts, it seems you have a hard time getting 9 to run. I don't know how familiar you are with Lw trouble shooting but I just posted this in another thread. Might be useful?

http://www.newtek.com/forums/showpost.php?p=412847&postcount=42

mjcrawford
07-19-2006, 02:27 PM
LW9 modeler was a bit unstable for me whereas 8.5 worked absolutely fine. I just upgraded to the latest Nvidia drivers, and now the LW9 modeler is working fine as well. Looks like the new modeler is using opengl slightly differently to the old one...
:i_agree:

What kind of GPU are you running? I have 2 Nvidea Quadro cards, and when I loaded 9 I started getting the blue screen of death! then I updated my drivers and all is cool! Stoopid komputer! :compbeati

sudac20
07-19-2006, 06:51 PM
Ok, I reinstalled 9 and it appears to be much more stable. I am still getting crashes but not as frequently. I have v.9 on 4 different computers with different graphics cards. LW 9 crashes occasionally on each of them. I can live with a crash here and there but I still feel Newtek has work to do. So far I am pretty happy with the update and will keep my fingers crossed for future updates. Good job boys.:thumbsup:

mjcrawford
07-19-2006, 07:04 PM
"When in doubt.. re-boot! if that does not work, re-install... if that does not work, re-format.. if that does not work, its not our fault"
- - Microsoft

iainbyoung
07-20-2006, 03:28 AM
:i_agree:

What kind of GPU are you running? I have 2 Nvidea Quadro cards, and when I loaded 9 I started getting the blue screen of death! then I updated my drivers and all is cool! Stoopid komputer! :compbeati

I'm running 2 x Nvidia 512mb 7800 GTX cards in SLI mode. The new drivers seem to have fixed all the problems I was having with crashes etc.

I suggest the first thing people try when they are having problems is to make sure they have all the latest updated drivers for their hardware... :)

cgirolet
07-20-2006, 04:00 AM
I also had some slowdowns after installing 9.0 but after unpgrading to 91.31 drivers all went well

mkiii
07-25-2006, 04:13 AM
For what it's worth. I found that downgrading from the latest 7.3 dongle drivers to the 7.2x ones available from the LW front end on newtek.com improved modeler stability greatly. Previously, it locked up completely a couple of times an hour, now that happens rarely if at all. I still get some crashes, but I've come to expect that.

I have a USB dongle BTW.

If you do change your drivers, make sure you completely uninstall the previous one, and ensure the hub, LW & modeler are not running.