PDA

View Full Version : read only objects LW9 help

runtsgal
07-18-2006, 10:31 AM
Has anyone else found that saved objects when re loaded in LW9 are giving the message 'file is read only and can not be modified'? I have had this happen a few times now and have no idea why but it's annoying when the object is only part finnished.

ghaledev
07-19-2006, 03:58 PM
I had this problem yesterday.

As far as I can tell, the hub doesn't work correctly if you have previously installed older dongle drivers.

After removing the old drivers using the Control Panel you have to search for and remove all files beginning with the letters SNTUSB from anywhere on your C: drive. Then install the new drivers.

runtsgal
07-20-2006, 03:58 AM
Thanks I'll try it but it seems a lot of hassle to go through, you would think Newtek should have spotted this one early on.

Kuzey
07-20-2006, 04:10 AM
I think this happens from time to time in most versions of LW. You should be able to "save as" under a new name.

Kuzey

llongino
07-20-2006, 08:03 PM
Same thing's happening to me in Modeler 9 - yep, I saved as under a new name and STILL I get object is read-only and cannot be modified. Newtek - any ideas on how to remedy this (I'm on a Mac, the instructions above seem to be for PCs)

So far I've had to use Modeler 8.5 because Modeler 9 simply won't function, though Layout 9 seems to be doing ok so far. Strange.

CBronson
07-21-2006, 08:26 AM
I am too getting the same problem. Objects load as "read-only" and I'm using a Mac as well. Anyone have any ideas?

walfridson
07-21-2006, 08:30 AM
reinstall dongledriver(the new ones ;) )
delete hub cfg.

llongino
07-21-2006, 10:54 AM
How do we reinstall the dongle drivers on a Mac? I've only had to do that on PC's in the past. And where do we get the new dongle drivers?

Johnny_Rotten
07-22-2006, 06:01 AM
This usually happens to me, too. I just exit LW and restart it and the LWO is back to normal.

patrickkelly
07-24-2006, 12:32 PM
I have upgraded to LW9 and in Modeler, I also get the Read Only error message. Newtek, please suggest work around or provide patch.

Windows Media Center
32 bit version of LW9
1 gig ram

Bog
07-25-2006, 07:06 AM
Yur, I'm breaking my teeth on this now as well. Bit boring. And I'm using the latest XP Pro dongle drivers, so it ain't that.

Thalaxis
07-25-2006, 09:47 AM
I ran into this as well, and when I went to look at my cfg files I noticed that I had a bunch of extra directories (e.g. plugins(2)) in my LW folder (that happens if you don't clean up before you install on top of an old version, apparently). I uninstalled LW, cleaned that directory out entirely, and removed the old cfg files (which by default I think live in your docs & settings directory), and that cured the read-only problem.

I hope that helps!

lardbros
07-26-2006, 11:11 AM
I got this for the first time yesterday!! It NEVER happened in previous versions of LW, i can guarantee that. Never seen anything like this before in any software, but something tells me it's going to rear its ugly head a few times until the next point release.

digitalshow
01-02-2007, 03:49 PM
Called tech support...they suggested just disabling the hub by adding a "-0" to the model and layout shortcuts...and that fixed my problem. Never liked the hub anyway.

aCruceSalus
04-16-2008, 11:45 AM
I added the -0 and it not only got rid of the read only problem, but objects load 100 times faster. Maybe even 1000 times faster. HUGE difference.
Thanks

Philbert
04-16-2008, 12:28 PM
This used to happen to me all the time on my old laptop if I hibernated it and forgot to save the model first. The fix I came up with was to send it to Layout and save with a different name from there. That usually fixed it.

patrickkelly
04-16-2008, 02:48 PM
The fix for this problem was to completely uninstall LW before I upgraded to the next version. It worked for me.