PDA

View Full Version : "Dongle not found, Trial Mode: xxxx-xxxx-xxxx"

Cesar Montero
07-17-2006, 09:35 PM
I own a Boxx 64bit computer in which both Lightwave 8.5 32 and 64 work.
I currently use Lightwave 8.5 32 bit, even if my computer is 64 bit.

I just downloaded both Lightwave 9 (32bit)
I installed it wthout problem.
However, when I open the registration tool, I get this message on top:
"Dongle not found, Trial mode : XXXX-XXXX-XXXX" (replace x's for numbers).

Am I doing something wrong?

Lightwave 8.5 works fine and recognizes the dongle, but not LW9

Silkrooster
07-17-2006, 10:06 PM
Try rebooting your machine, If I remember correctly it did that on mine as well, but after the reboot, it found the dongle.
So in reality After the install, I had to reboot the system twice before I could add the license number.
Silk

Cesar Montero
07-17-2006, 10:30 PM
Try rebooting your machine, If I remember correctly it did that on mine as well, but after the reboot, it found the dongle.
So in reality After the install, I had to reboot the system twice before I could add the license number.
Silk

Hi man, thanks for the interest in helping.
I did reboot allready several times, and even left the computer for a while turned off while a storm was menacing here. Still, the dongle is not recognized.
It is recognized by LW 8, and I can use it, but I can't make Lightwave 9 see it
Here is a screenshot of my system specs, and the message.

http://www.archeidos.com/images/problem.jpg

androidmaker
07-17-2006, 10:35 PM
do you have the newest drivers for it installed?

Cesar Montero
07-17-2006, 10:52 PM
do you have the newest drivers for it installed?

When I installed it, the program asked me if I wanted to install the software for the dongle. I clicked yes, so I suppose it was installed. In any case, is there a way to install the drivers separately? Perhaps If I install them again, separately, it could work

Cesar Montero
07-18-2006, 12:31 AM
Help...anyone?:help:

Cesar Montero
07-18-2006, 04:29 AM
heeeeeeep!:cry::(:cry::(

Weetos
07-18-2006, 05:01 AM
Just a thought, maybe the LW9 installer installed a 32bit version driver. Have you tried to uninstall this driver and get the 64bit version from Safenet?

Cesar Montero
07-18-2006, 05:04 AM
Just a thought, maybe the LW9 installer installed a 32bit version driver. Have you tried to uninstall this driver and get the 64bit version from Safenet?

I installed firstly LW9 64 bits, and the dongle was not recognized.
Then, I uninstalled it, and installed LW9 32 bits.
The dongle was not recognized again.

Perhaps if I install the drivers myself?

Edbittner
07-18-2006, 05:11 AM
Call Newtek. I've been with 'em since 5.6 and have never had a problem with an install. Until LW9 that is. Seems that the key generated for 9 after the beta ver. was altogether different that the one posted on my registration site. Newtek dude gave me a new one over the phone, and e-mailed me the same one. No probs.
E.

bobakabob
07-18-2006, 05:15 AM
Newtek should make it clear how to troubleshoot and long term aim to refine this painful process. Have you tried reinstalling the dongle drivers direct from Safenet as Weetos suggests? Presumably they've been updated for 9, but they should come with the software without you having to go look for them! Any joy in the PDF manual? I'm about to update in a few days on a new computer and dread this happening. Good luck and keep us posted.

Cesar Montero
07-18-2006, 05:16 AM
Newtek should make it clear how to troubleshoot and long term aim to refine this painful process. Have you tried reinstalling the dongle drivers as Weetos suggests? Presumably they've been updated for 9, but they should come with the software with you having to go look for them. Any joy in the PDF manual? I'm about to update in a few days on a new computer and dread this happening. Good luck and keep us posted.

Since I'm getting the free upgrade from LW8, I don't have the box, just the download.
I'm sure the installation of both LW9 told me drivers where being installed for the dongle.
However, they are not working, since the dongle is not being recognized.
I'm not sure where I can find the latest drivers for the dongle.
I'll have to make a search.

Call Newtek. I've been with 'em since 5.6 and have never had a problem with an install. Until LW9 that is. Seems that the key generated for 9 after the beta ver. was altogether different that the one posted on my registration site. Newtek dude gave me a new one over the phone, and e-mailed me the same one. No probs.
E.

I will phone them first thing in the morning.
I stop participating at Beta 5, I was quite busy with work.
So my Beta 5 key is at my product list.
However, the Dongle does not even passes through.
Even when I force the installation of the Beta key it doesn't works.

SO yeah, alltogether doesn't work.
The serial could be given by tech support.
The part that worries me is the Dongle not being able to be recognized.

Weetos
07-18-2006, 05:42 AM
you can get the latest 64bit version there : http://www.safenet-inc.com/support/files/SSD722WIN64.zip

Also make sure your dongle is unplugged when you uninstall/reinstall the drivers, as Windows has a tendency to screw up things when it comes to uncommon USB hardware

Good luck :)

JamesCurtis
07-18-2006, 06:08 AM
You said 8.5 was working fine, so your dongle is also okay. It's most definately either the serial numbers themselves or the dongle drivers that are the culprit. Definately advise getting in touch with Newtek Tech Support.

Bog
07-18-2006, 06:20 AM
It seems to vary from machine to machine whether the dongle drivers that came with LightWave work, or if you need the ones from the Safenet site. My best guess is that this is due to automatic Windows updates randomly boning the drivers.

Gives me an excuse to blame Microsoft for something, anyway ;)

blindsided
07-18-2006, 06:26 AM
I found that i had to physically remove the dongle with the registration window open, and then re-insert and click scan dongle before it found it.

Cesar Montero
07-18-2006, 12:19 PM
I'm getting tired of this...:(

It seems to vary from machine to machine whether the dongle drivers that came with LightWave work, or if you need the ones from the Safenet site. My best guess is that this is due to automatic Windows updates randomly boning the drivers.

Gives me an excuse to blame Microsoft for something, anyway ;)

It has worked fine so far with 8.5.
I remember I was able to install LW8 64 a while ago.
I decided not to use it and desinstall it because FPrime was not supported.
SO I do know that at certain point in moment, my dongle was able to use 64bit LW8 with the dongle. Right now neither LW9 32 bit or LW9 64 bit want to recognize the dongle.

You said 8.5 was working fine, so your dongle is also okay. It's most definately either the serial numbers themselves or the dongle drivers that are the culprit. Definately advise getting in touch with Newtek Tech Support.

Yup! My 8.5 is working fine at ALL the steps mentioned above.
I replaced allready the dongle drivers, as suggested by weetos, but no response.
I have been trying to get in touch with Tech Support, but I get a busy line every time I call.

you can get the latest 64bit version there : http://www.safenet-inc.com/support/files/SSD722WIN64.zip

Also make sure your dongle is unplugged when you uninstall/reinstall the drivers, as Windows has a tendency to screw up things when it comes to uncommon USB hardware

Good luck :)

Thanks for the link Weetos!
I downloaded the drivers.
I first uninstalled the previous ones.
Then I restarted, as mentioned at windows.
Then I reinstalled the drivers offered in this zip file.

However, no response from the registration application.
It didn't recognize the dongle.

I found that i had to physically remove the dongle with the registration window open, and then re-insert and click scan dongle before it found it.
Hi man!
I tried out that allready, several times.
The Registration application remains inmutable

Edbittner
07-18-2006, 10:22 PM
7.5 works, 8.5 works, 9.0 works..........no probs.
E.

Edbittner
07-18-2006, 10:29 PM
Cesar,
Dude, I'm troubled by the hastle you're having. Shouldn't be that difficult. Hope, (after everything you've contributed to this community), you get it straightened out.
E.

Cesar Montero
07-19-2006, 12:05 AM
Cesar,
Dude, I'm troubled by the hastle you're having. Shouldn't be that difficult. Hope, (after everything you've contributed to this community), you get it straightened out.
E.
Thank you for your concern in my problem

After my failed attempts, I allready asked Chuck for help. He directed my problem to Tech Support and Customer Support. It will take some time for them to answer me, since the guys are busy. I'll be patient.

In the meantime, I have a ton of work to do and render. That will make me stay away from the idea of using LW9 :screwy:

Weetos
07-19-2006, 01:47 AM
I just hope you'll get your problem solved very soon

I'm sorry I couldn't have helped you with this

John Jordan
07-19-2006, 07:15 PM
There should be a forum topic at the top of the page for troubleshooting the installation.
I know everyone at Newtek is busy. We all are. But we're the customers, remember?

I'm not complaining (I'm still waiting on my discs from Safe Harbor and hopefully all will go well during my installation). But come on, how hard does it have to get before a company gets out in front of it?

Again, not complaining. I just would like to see a proactive plan for everyone who is having problems.

JJ

Harue Ohkawa
07-21-2006, 12:08 AM
I am very interested in this problem. Is this problem solved?

Cesar Montero
07-21-2006, 08:33 AM
I'm still waiting from a response from Newtek:)
I'll write them another mail asking how is it going

Harue Ohkawa
07-21-2006, 10:40 AM
I can not confirm it exactly, so I can not advice you correctly. I wonder why that the probram of RegisterLightWave is 32bit app, right? If RegisterLightWave app is 32bit, you can see that this program "run this program with compatibility mode" of compatibility mode when you click this program with right click in windows explorer, and you can check this mode on. Does it change dongle ID in RegisterLightWave when you check it on and activate RegisterLightWave again?

polypusher
07-22-2006, 03:33 PM
I had the same problem. The registration app was not recognizing or acknowleding my dongle. I went ahead and just popped in my activaton number. A warning popped up asking whether I was sure I wanted to continue despite that the activation number did not match dongle. I continued anyway. Lightwave 9 is correctly activated despite that problem. Give it a try. It might work for you as well.

Good Luck

Parthius
07-22-2006, 07:50 PM
I ran into problems with the 64bit version working fine, but the 32bit not seeing the dongle. (8.5 32 and 64bit continued to work fine.) The issue turned out to be that I agreed to let it install the (new) dongle drivers before I had installed both versions of LW9. The solution was to uninstall the drivers and then reinstall the version for 64bit. Then everything worked fine. BTW, I copied my license.key file over from LW8 and added in the new license keys. Hope this helps!

bobakabob
07-22-2006, 08:27 PM
The issue turned out to be that I agreed to let it install the (new) dongle drivers before I had installed both versions of LW9. The solution was to uninstall the drivers and then reinstall the version for 64bit.

Parthius,
Could you elaborate a little here. Are you saying it's advisable to install both versions of Lightwave before installing the dongle drivers? At what stage should the dongle be attached? Is the "version for 64bit" you're referring to, Lightwave or the 64 bit driver?

The more I read this thread, the more confused I am. It has to be easier than this.

Could someone please post a step by step Idiot's Guide to Lightwave Installation for32 Bit, 64 Bit and dual boot systems forseeing the kind of problems Cesar and others have encountered? :help: