PDA

View Full Version : Numeric window in Layout

KSTAR
07-17-2006, 09:12 PM
Is it possible to open a pop up numeric input window in Layout, for move, rotate, etc? The way it was in older versions of LW like 5.6? Hitting the n key takes your cursor to the input field, but I liked the old school pop up window like it was in the older version (easy on the eyes) I have wondered for years if this feature was still around but just hidden. If it is I'm going kick myself for not asking sooner. ;D

If it doesn't exist anymore does anyone know of a plugin that adds this feature

evenflcw
07-18-2006, 04:10 AM
Look for Set Position/Set Rotation/Set Scale in keyboard/menu configuration.

KSTAR
07-18-2006, 03:36 PM
Ah there they are. It looks like its broken up into 3 commands now. It would be cool if you could all three commands to one keyboard shortcut that was relative to what function you were using. Basically the way the n key works now, or they way it used to work, in old versions

Would something like this be possible with Lscript?

evenflcw
07-19-2006, 04:57 AM
Yes, it should be possible via a Master script. However I don't know how reliable it would be. To my knowledge there is no way to "ask" what tool is active at the moment. Instead you have to listening for a tool changes at all times (and there might be times when it will miss a tool change. You can never really be sure you've cover every imaginable situation that fills your criterias.). It's not hard to write this so I might give it a go just for fun. No promises though. :)

KSTAR
07-19-2006, 10:50 PM
yeah yeah yeah give it a try :bowdown: Im Lscript phobic. Though Im still waiting for the Lscript for artist book to come out so I can maybe give it a go.

Oh well worse case scenario I can always assign 3 keyboard shortcuts :)

evenflcw
07-20-2006, 10:52 AM
Here you go. A simple test. Install both scripts. Go to the Master Plugins panel and add ToolListener. This is the script that tries to keep track of what tool is currently active or rather was activated last. However it cannot accuratly determine what tool is active when the script is first started, so after starting you'll need to switch tool atleast once. From then on it should be fine. This script is set to start every time Layout starts as opposed to being scene-specific.

The other script is a generic script and you'll have to place it in your menu manually or assign it a hotkey. When you run it, the first thing it does is retrieve the currentTool value which ToolListener has stored off in a shared place. It then goes on to start then numeric requester which corresponds to the currentTool value.

Use it or don't use it and feel free to modify.

Personally I think I would've just assigned these numeric panels to shift+t+, shift+y, shift+h respectively, if there wasn't a numeric area always visible.

KSTAR
07-20-2006, 02:51 PM
Wow that was fast! :dance: Thanks I will give it a try. You have now definately peaked my intrest in learning Lscript. Do you consider yourself a novice, intermediate or expert Lscript writer?

evenflcw
07-20-2006, 03:39 PM
I'd say intermediate. But there are many different script classes - modeler command sequence scripts, meshdataedit scripts, item animation scripts, master scripts, shaders etc. I'm certainly not intermediate on all of them, I just learn/practise and use what interest me. I wouldn't even know where to begin on some of them (shaders and image filters).