PDA

View Full Version : Problems making a model for a TV commercial

TheDynamo
07-17-2006, 05:57 PM
This is my first major modeling project for my boss who has (unfortunately for me) promised a 3D model for this commercial. I say unfortunately because they more or less jumped the gun on this because I'm a newbie to 3D and I really haven't trained as much as I would like.

I've attached one of the versions I have worked on to make this device. It doesn't have to be photorealistic but it does have to resemble it closely. We will be featuring things going on inside the machine and that can be abstract at least. The problem I'm running into is that I just can't figure out the right way to model this object without the mesh being a mess in the perspective window. You know, jaggy polygons and such. Am I missing out on how to make something like this?

I've been attempting to make it using a squashed around cylinder and I've blown about 10 hours on it while continuing to run into a wall about the point where I start getting the control panel on.

Any help would be much appreciated, thankfully the deadline isn't too tight but I would like to have something modeled by the end of this week. :hey:

-Dyn

voriax
07-17-2006, 08:02 PM
You'll get there eventually.. The reason you're getting funny poly effects on the metal control panel is because more than one poly is trying to exist in the same plane.. shift the metal part up and away from the plastic surface and the effect should disappear..
Looks like a simple machine, but it's not exactly an easy request for a first project, eh :)

TheDynamo
07-18-2006, 09:52 AM
Not as easy as I would like, now say if the project was a really cool mug or teapot. Man I'm all over it like white on rice :) **** I might have been able to do something in AE that would work in this time.

Thanks for the tip though Voriax, I'll start picking through the polygons and seeing where the overlapping is occuring. Heh it's been over 7 years since I worked in a 3D app and the rust is certainly showing.

-Dyn

THREEL
07-18-2006, 09:40 PM
Evening Dyn,

I thought I'd make a mock-up of how much of the model that you made, except I didn't add the base at the bottom. Check the attachments and see what you think. It doesn't have everything the real one has. I'd have to have more photos or actual design drawings to model the entire machine. It took me about 1-1/2 hours to design this, and I threw my first attempt away. Make sure when you open the object to select just Layer 1, because all of the Layers that have geometry become visible when you first open an object. That might be where you were seeing overlaying polygons in your object. Also, see if you can go through the Layers and figure out how I built my version. Please, take a look at it and let me know what you think.

THREEL, but you can call me AL.:D

TheDynamo
07-19-2006, 11:53 AM
Nice work, I noticed you took the cylinder from the bottom to make a subpatch. The beveling inward to create the squares necessary was something I didn't think about. This keeps the polygon count low I noticed which looks like it made things easier to modify. To be honest I really didn't consider using subpatch mode because I wasn't as familiar with how to use it in a non-organic application. I was sticking to polygons since I'm more familiar with it from my old Softimage days. I have a feeling that when LW merged polygons together, it introduced it's own overlapping polygons on top of the original. You've opened a new thought process on me. I think I'll be tinkering with it today. Thanks (AL) :)

-Dyn

THREEL
07-19-2006, 12:48 PM
Nice work, I noticed you took the cylinder from the bottom to make a subpatch. The beveling inward to create the squares necessary was something I didn't think about. This keeps the polygon count low I noticed which looks like it made things easier to modify.

Thanks for the compliment Dyn. :) Please, let me know how your second attempt turns out.

THREEL (AL)