PDA

View Full Version : how long...

old fashioned d
07-17-2006, 05:09 PM
would a quad Mac be relevant if I purchased one now?

Would I get a good 2 years out of it? Longer perhaps?

Once Newtek comes out with a Universal Binaries version will I still be able to use it? This UB stuff is confusing.

I need a new machine now but would wait for a new Mactel machine if I KNEW that Newtek was on the verge of releasing a UB version but...

Thoughts?

Chilton
07-17-2006, 05:23 PM
The UB stuff will be a Mach-O version of LightWave. So just that will make it *slightly* faster on PPC Macs, compared to older versions. Aside from that, I'm not at liberty to say just what kind of magic, secret, things will go into the next version.

(And unfortunately I can't tell you more about the UB version yet.)

-Chilton

old fashioned d
07-17-2006, 08:22 PM
So what you are saying is that I will still be able to use the UB version of LW on my PPC Mac in the future??

Thats where I get confused. As long as I can get a good 2 years (or more) out of a quad PPC Mac then I think I'll get one next month.

gatz
07-17-2006, 09:13 PM
I just picked up a Quad. For Adobe apps and LW its the only choice on the Mac. After major apps are out, you'll still have to wait for plugins. So it will serve well for awhile. Not to mention legacy projects. My advice is get AppleCare and hope for a motherboard failure in year three. By then the MacTel desktops and UB apps will be established, and hopefully Quad motherboards won't be easy to come by...

rg

Chilton
07-17-2006, 09:21 PM
So what you are saying is that I will still be able to use the UB version of LW on my PPC Mac in the future??

Thats where I get confused. As long as I can get a good 2 years (or more) out of a quad PPC Mac then I think I'll get one next month.

The idea behind a Universal Binary is that it has both PPC and Intel code in it, and executes the right one based on the platform it's currently running on.

-Chilton

Darth Mole
07-18-2006, 02:40 AM
Got a Quad here - you can't really argue with 10GHz of processing power. No doubt the MacTelProThings will be faster - but how much faster? Unless they stick eight cores in there, I'm not too worried.

CAClark
07-18-2006, 06:53 AM
More to the point, how long till we get the Ub version? It'd be sweet to get the power of the processor in LW, seeing how modo on my macbook pro is only a few seconds behind my Athlon X2 4800. Nice for a skinny notebook!

Cheers!

Chilton
07-18-2006, 07:48 AM
More to the point, how long till we get the Ub version? It'd be sweet to get the power of the processor in LW, seeing how modo on my macbook pro is only a few seconds behind my Athlon X2 4800. Nice for a skinny notebook!

Cheers!

Hi Craig,

The exact launch date of the UB version of LightWave is a tightly guarded secret. However, it's the highest priority thing we're doing right now--that and fixing bugs.

-Chilton