PDA

View Full Version : Large Scene Crashing in v9

Filmdesigner
07-17-2006, 08:41 AM
What a dog.

I have spent the last day trying to get Layout stable enough to render, let alone save a scene. Having spent a year learning how to use LW8.5, learning to save 425 times a day, restarting and trashing preference files on an hourly basis, I was hoping LW 9 would have been built to be more stable.

Boy was I mistaken... Crash. Crash. Crash. Crash.

Celshader
07-17-2006, 08:48 AM
What a dog.

I have spent the last day trying to get Layout stable enough to render, let alone save a scene. Having spent a year learning how to use LW8.5, learning to save 425 times a day, restarting and trashing preference files on an hourly basis, I was hoping LW 9 would have been built to be more stable.

Boy was I mistaken... Crash. Crash. Crash. Crash.

I haven't had any problems here. What causes your copy of LW9.0 to crash?

Do you have a scene that you're allowed to upload and/or a list of steps that can guarantee a crash every time? I'd like to see if I can duplicate it on my end.

Filmdesigner
07-17-2006, 08:54 AM
My scenes are prettty big at about 8 million polys. I use 3D trees in my archivis work which took a while to be usable in 8.5. I can't even get my scenes to stay open in 9. I open, set the bounding box threshold to 250000 and what for 10 minutes for the scene to appear. Then crash. Once crashed, the scene remains unstable in any form of import. Now I can't get Layout to recognise Modeller or the Hub to control either Layout or Modeller. Yes, I have trashed the Config files numerous times now, restarted my machine a dozen times, to no avail. Sounds like a serious conflict somewhere...

BazC
07-17-2006, 09:03 AM
Restarting your machine will probably restore communication between modeler hub and layout. I suggest you send a crash log to Newtek if you can't send a scene, they can't fix it if they don't know what's wrong. Generally LW9 is very stable for me. - baz

tischbein3
07-17-2006, 09:23 AM
Perhaps using different settings in the Options/OpenGL tab (especially Shading Methods and Geometry Accelaration ) might help.

Filmdesigner
07-17-2006, 09:36 AM
Okay, I think I need to go and sleep on this for a bit. I just get jacked-off when simple things aren't simple (I still can't believe Newtek haven't replaced the Distant light viewport with an axonometric or similar!). Add the unpredictable crashes and you have a hearty stew of wasted time.

Honestly, as I have said before, if it wasn't for these discussion forums, I would have gone back to drawing by hand because of the frustration.

DogBoy
07-17-2006, 10:45 AM
I'm with tisch-bein, check your OpenGL settings: Make sure Shading Method is set to Multitexture, not GLSL. NA tried changing the Acceleration method.
I'm set to Buffered(VBO) here, but isf that doesn't work try Streaming.

I've not had the kind of problems you have, so I'm guessing it is a setting or driver issue.

Good luck,
Dan

nerdyguy227
07-17-2006, 10:49 AM
Most 9 users agree its very stable. According to your sig., you have 5 GB of ram. Thats plenty but maybe one of the sticks is defective, or possibly its some other hardware problem.

sudac20
07-17-2006, 11:49 AM
As much I hate to admit it LW9 is not stable. I am getting crashes all the time on very simple tasks. I am very disappointed to say the least.:thumbsdow

Celshader
07-17-2006, 11:55 AM
As much I hate to admit it LW9 is not stable. I am getting crashes all the time on very simple tasks. I am very disappointed to say the least.:thumbsdow

Do you have a series of steps that duplicate a crash? If they are simple tasks, it should be easy to list a series of steps.

I still have not gotten crashes on LW9, but I might be doing something differently than you.

Skinner3D
07-17-2006, 11:55 AM
:thumbsup: No problems on my desktop. My laptop is way under the required specs for 9 and it is still running fine, albeit rather slow.

Qslugs
07-17-2006, 12:01 PM
I can attest to stability also. I've been using 9 since begining of march. However with that said, I never had a scene running yet with 8 million polys. I only have a gig of ram in a dell box with a 7800gs video board.

sudac20
07-17-2006, 12:19 PM
Do you have a series of steps that duplicate a crash? If they are simple tasks, it should be easy to list a series of steps.

I still have not gotten crashes on LW9, but I might be doing something differently than you.

If I create a box using the numeric panel (n) = Crash, almost every time I close modeler = crash. Going back and forth between layout and modeler = crash, dynamics very unstable… in truth I have yet to push the software and I am getting crashes. I am going to install 9 on some of my other computers and test some more. I will also update my display drivers and see if that helps.

harlan
07-17-2006, 12:20 PM
Sorry to hear about your troubles mate, it's a little difficult to diagnose your problems beyond what the others have recommended here without having more specific information.

Over here at least, LW9 is rockf#ckinsolid, hasn't crashed a single time.

PS - For future reference, it may be beneficial for you to post a 'serious' thread with specific details related to your crashes, rather than a vague thread of inaccurate generalities.

Celshader
07-17-2006, 12:21 PM
If I create a box using the numeric panel (n) = Crash, almost every time I close modeler = crash. Going back and forth between layout and modeler = crash, dynamics very unstable… in truth I have yet to push the software and I am getting crashes. I am going to install 9 on some of my other computers and test some more. I will also update my display drivers and see if that helps.

Thanks. :) I'll try those steps here and see if I get any crashes.

madjester
07-17-2006, 12:28 PM
I too will try these steps when I get home but I have a number long subpatched paths totalling about 2 million polys using Trailer in a scene and layout will just not crash. 8.5 would crash with more than just a couple of Trailer displaced objects.

Try the standard steps, reinstall Lightwave and definatly delete your config files, that tends to cure most problems.

aurora
07-17-2006, 12:43 PM
I have a scene with 5 mill polys plus 1.1 million HV's and have not had a crash with it yet. In fact I have not had a crash in modeler or layout since the RC releases came out. Well except for a model or two created in LW7 and tried to bring it into layout. I found if I opened it in 8.5, resaved it then opened it in 9 I had no problems.
As for LW9 modeler I have been working on a personal and a couple work related projects in modeler non-stop for over a month and have not had a single problem. OK so I admit I have not worked with edge beveling but thens thats because I know it just ain't a gonna work for me, yet....

jwilli3
07-17-2006, 12:57 PM
I think the people that are crashing on simple tasks need to look at their computer before they blame Lightwave 9 for the issues they are having...

caddaraman
07-17-2006, 12:58 PM
For what it's worth, I have 2 models that will crash layout on startup. One is an architectural model of a building, and the other is a small simple clay pottery model. If OGL is set to GLSL then they will crash layout, if I open layout and check to make sure this is set to multi texture and not GLSL, I can open the objects in layout..but as soon as I turn GLSL back on, it will crash. Dell 3.4 gighz, 2 gigs ram 240 raid 0 HD and ATI 9800 XT.

Celshader
07-17-2006, 01:05 PM
...ATI 9800 XT.

I'm starting to suspect the ATI cards. You're having video-related crashes, and you have an ATI card. Another guy has problems with connecting/reconnecting nodes crashing Layout, and he has an ATI card.

At work and home I've had none of these problems, but I use a Quadro at work and a GeForce card at home.

I'd heard LightWave liked nVidia cards better than ATI cards, but these reports actually seem to back that rumor up. :(

RTSchramm
07-17-2006, 01:27 PM
I been having alot of crashes with the layout, but the modeler seems to be stable. I was just trying to learn how to rig bones and it crashed. I am currently running memtest on my system to see it I have a bad memory stick. I can't duplicate the problem as it seems that layout crashes when I do different tasks. I am using an Quadro 4000 FX with an driver 84.26 which is supposed to be certified. About the ATI cards, it is well known in the industry that the ATI consumer video cards impliment OpenGL poorly which is why I switched to the NVidia card. Also NOTE is I use the pre-application setting for lightware, Lightwave crashes. So I use the default 3D settings.

Rich

Dodgy
07-17-2006, 03:18 PM
Try using the latest nvidia beta drivers RTSchramm, I found these solved some of the problems I was having.

Maxx
07-17-2006, 03:40 PM
At first, 9.0 would lock up my computer every time I rendered with Radiosity. Just lock the crap out of it. It turned out to be my hard drive was faulty. Or my RAM, or my MoBo - I don't know, they all got replaced. However, since then 9.0's been pretty freaking rock solid here. Admittedly, I'm not pushing it as hard as I'd like to, but I'm still using it on a fairly regular basis.

Bog
07-17-2006, 03:57 PM
Pounding the bejayzus out of it here, 20 gig of textures loaded and .75 mega-gons in the scene.

Ticking over fine on the laptop. Got an nVidia Go in it, might just be ATi tech - LW never did like ATi cards that much.

LightFreeze
07-17-2006, 04:13 PM
One thing to remember is if you have been running 8.5 then you need to quit the hub before launching 9 as stated by Kurtis in this thread (http://www.newtek.com/forums/showthread.php?t=54062)

mouse_art
07-17-2006, 04:21 PM
Thanks. :) I'll try those steps here and see if I get any crashes.

I tried it, no crash here, there is something else wrong.

So far i had only one crash, but that was after closing Layout, so i don't care much. ;)

RedBull
07-17-2006, 04:38 PM
Filmdesigner: I don't use Macs, but can you post a screenshot of Layout's scene stats panel? "w" key in Layout. (with a scene loaded)

This will tell us how much free memory and resources you have available.
and may aid in diagnoses.

8Million polygons is quite a lot, you may be best reducing some polygon counts. How much ram does LW access on Macs?
Do you know of any other professional 3D Program that can handle 8 Million Polygons on a Mac?

I was under the impression Macs have retarded memory access that limits each application to 1.7Gb, which would explain some of your problems..

LW9 does have some crashes and problems alright, but i do believe it's better than some of the past releases, in this regard at least for PC people.

mouse_art
07-17-2006, 04:54 PM
I'm starting to suspect the ATI cards. You're having video-related crashes, and you have an ATI card. Another guy has problems with connecting/reconnecting nodes crashing Layout, and he has an ATI card.

At work and home I've had none of these problems, but I use a Quadro at work and a GeForce card at home.

I'd heard LightWave liked nVidia cards better than ATI cards, but these reports actually seem to back that rumor up. :(

Hehe Mylady, i can't really agree, or not completly im using a 1900xtx before that card a x800 and ...9700pro...all ati cards, so i believe it's something else in the configuration, or old drivers ect.

There are so many pc configurations out there, in combination with so many drivers(chipset ect.) that sometimes problems are just there.

DonJMyers
07-17-2006, 05:36 PM
If you are doing work that started in LW8.5 or earlier a good thing to do is load each object into modeler 9 and re-save it either on top of itself or as a new version. Then load the scene into layout with the new objects and save a new 9 scene to go with the 9 objects.

Of course, you could just load the scene into 9 and say "save all objects" but if you are having trouble getting layout to load you may need to do it the long way as outlined above.

This goes double if your objects are from LW 7.0, triple if they are from 6.0, quadruple if ..... etc etc.

erikals
07-17-2006, 06:41 PM
Had misc 8.5 crashes some time back, turned out to be too poor CPU-cooling.
My advice, if you can, try to render the scene on a different computer (or two). That narrows things down.
(share the scene so others can test 4u ?)

Bog
07-17-2006, 06:46 PM
Four and a half megagons, still rockin'....

Kurtis
07-17-2006, 08:09 PM
Filmdesigner,

If you can produce 100% reproducible crashes, please document them and send them to [email protected] If there are problems we want to know about them.

If possible, please also include as much information as you can about your system hardware/drivers/software, to help them determine if it is a system conflict, rather than a software issue.

I cannot guarantee you will receive a personal response, but I can guarantee you it will be read and looked into.

Ivan D. Young
07-17-2006, 09:13 PM
One thing to look at is if you have one massive object, in 32 bit OSes if you are trying to load more than can be loaded in the app or OS at any one time this will almost, everytime produce a crash. Lightwave on different machines will use a slightly different amount of RAM 1.1 to maybe 1.8 gigs, if you have an object that exceeds this Lightwave will try to load and when it can't call all of the data in at once it will crash, hang, or lock up. We see this at work all the time, students try to make really massive objects and don't realize they are hitting limits. try to break the objects into chunks that will definately load. Also watch the load process and see if the crash is at the same object, there is a small possiblity that there could be something wrong with that object.

I have an ATI Radeon 9800 Pro and have not had any LW problems, but MAYA absolutely hates it.

Filmdesigner
07-18-2006, 07:16 PM
I have discovered a stupendously idiotic situation that has helped fix a few of the crash issues, or at least made the crash issue more predictable;

When you install LW9 it doesn't replace the previous version. This will obviously cause problems with saving the root file structures. I had checked the Config files but in my 24 hour daze, had not checked to see if the Content files had saved under LW9's application folder. I made an assumption that the Installer would do this for me as on earlier upgrades and versions. For some reason LW9 was able to automatically read from the LW8.5 Content file (?!!!) but rapidly became unstable.

My crashes have now become predictable. Mind you, I still can't understand why is should be "predictable". A couple of examples:

1) After doing a "Render Frame", Layout will crash if I leave Layout to sit without interaction for more than a minute or two...
2) If I start-up Layout BEFORE Modeller, the Hub won't recognise either and Layout will crash if I try...
3) Layout interface starts to slow down mainly when changing surfaces, it will take several seconds to register a change in one of the parameter fields. This is a sign Layout will crash.

Sorry I wasn't more lucid. I had been awake for the typical 36 hours prior to my initial Thread.

I will test the Open GL setting as suggested

Cheers, Phil

stevecullum
07-18-2006, 07:21 PM
No problem here with 10,000,000 polys...

Filmdesigner
07-18-2006, 07:29 PM
You guys are extraordinary!

I also suspect the video card. This has been slowy forming over the last day. Mind you, I updated OSX to 10.4.7 and obliterated my system. After a complete re-install, I will make another attempt.

This is my Stats window as requested.

Yamba
07-18-2006, 10:34 PM
Thanks tischbein3, DogBoy and Don.J.Myers.

Combinations of your tips have me, touch wood, up and running. Sure other issues may appear, but until then I'll enjoy LW9 and feel confident enough to set 8.? aside.

Yamba
mac since IIe and still sane, well almost.

pabloarce
07-18-2006, 11:03 PM
so, now that your issues are getting better, Filmdesigner... Anyone out there having much problem with LW9 on a mac?
I run LW 8.5 on an iMac G5 2GHz and 1.5 GB memory. I don't do 8 million poly scenes... I use it mostly for single frame shots.
I was told to wait a while before getting 9 because there may be issues... Are there many? Would you guys recomend going ahead with it? It seems like, specially since you can keep 8.5 installed, it should be fine, no?

Thanks in advance

BazC
07-19-2006, 01:22 AM
so, now that your issues are getting better, Filmdesigner... Anyone out there having much problem with LW9 on a mac?
I run LW 8.5 on an iMac G5 2GHz and 1.5 GB memory. I don't do 8 million poly scenes... I use it mostly for single frame shots.
I was told to wait a while before getting 9 because there may be issues... Are there many? Would you guys recomend going ahead with it? It seems like, specially since you can keep 8.5 installed, it should be fine, no?

Thanks in advance

I think most Mac users are delighted with LW9. It's much more stable than 8.5 for me. Still not perfect but a big improvement. 8.5 is still on my HD but no longer on my dock! :D The hub still has some issues I think (yet to be figured out) and seems to cause the occasional crash for me, but it's useable, I had to disable it in 8.5
Yup I'm really pleased with 9, can't wait to see what's coming next, UB and OGL in Modeler? :D

Riff_Masteroff
07-19-2006, 02:53 AM
Hello All,

For what it is worth, I had many hard & deep crashes with the RC series. A while ago the nvidia 77.77 drivers were recommended by lw users (8.5). After changing them to nvidia 91.31 LW9 is now quite stable (so far).

System specs:
Tyan 2895
AMD Dual Opteron 280
Nvidia 7800GTX
8 Gigs Ram
XP64 with both LW32 & LW64 on same OS

stevecullum
07-19-2006, 02:58 AM
up I'm really pleased with 9, can't wait to see what's coming next, UB and OGL in Modeler?

From my interpretation of the FAQs and 'future of Lightwave' on the NT site, is - lots of nice goodies!

The main thing I understood from whats been said there, for this release its more 'under the hood' changes that we can't see that will benefit the 9.x cycle and TP developers. I can't wait to see whats coming... :rock:

Exception
07-19-2006, 03:44 AM
Lw stability rules after 7 years of usage:

- Video card drivers/hardware is responsible for 99% of all the crashes. It will not always be apparent but sometimes if you look carefully at the crash info in windows you can see something like "exception in atiogl.dll" or nvogl.dll and that sort of stuff. This means your video card crashed LW, pretty much.
Unless otherwise stated, update your video card drivers if you have lots of issues. I have a dual xeon dell here at work, two weeks old, and Lw would crash as soon as you started it (also 9). They were just old drivers. Now runs rock solid.

- ATi's OpenGL implementation for the consumer cards is flakey. Unfortunately, cos they make some nice cards! If you need to buy a card, the advice has been through the board, get Nvidia. Although there are people who are very happy and stable with their ATi, I can make it crash in 5 seconds.

- Forcing AA / Anistropy in the video drivers is asking for trouble. Especially with ATi cards.

- Your computer memory might not be as good as you think. Windows is quite forgiving with computer memory. It can run just fine with only slight hickups (that you will hardly notice) when your RAM is broken. Lightwave uses your ram much more intensively and is much more complex, thus sensitive to RAM issues. Get yourself a proper RAM tester (memtest86 for PC, yes it has to go on a floppy... there's no better tho).

- What's in your system tray, my friend?
Norton Anti virus? HA!
Zone Alarm? Phoooey!
Dr Shivago's Special Lightwave Crasher? I thought so!
The hub communicates through TCP/IP commands back and forth, and if those commands are blocked, it will all turn to a pulp! Zone alarm needs to be properly configured, Norton will just cause you grief in the long run (and slow down your system in the meantime), and those 1001 other firewalls, virus scanners and so on need to be checked to see if they play nice with LW. I think Newtek should try to do something about this, but hey, this is how it works. When all 3 programs (hub, layout, modeler) have free play and communication, you will run into much less problems. I think this is the #1 issue with layout/modeler not starting, slow downs when updating the model, or general slowness and unexpected quitting and so forth... Just give free reign in your firewalls to all 3 proggies.

- Out of harddisk space? boom.

- Checked everything, still crashing? Did you do the evil 'I-installed-lightwave-but-didnt-delete-the-config-files'? Oohboy. You know what to do... search for the lwm?.cfg lwhub?.cfg lw?.cfg lwext?.cfg and so forth (where ? is your version number, for lw 9 it is thus... 9:) ), and delete them. Delete all .cfg's in that directory if you want (plugins make some too). Make sure there's not a bunch all over the place. If you want to keep your preciosu menu or keys setup, just save out those setups from layout and modeler.

The above issues solve, as far as I have encountered, 99.9% of all Lw stability issues.
Still problems?
Send it to the forums, make screenshots, save the scene & objects and zip em, upload them here on the forum, and we'll all be glad to test it for you. Hey maybe you found a bug!

colkai
07-19-2006, 04:16 AM
- Forcing AA / Anistropy in the video drivers is asking for trouble. Especially with ATi cards.
So you'd advise setting Anistropy to OFF on the video driver?

Any other gems us total noobs may benefit from as regards video driver settings to help LW?

I'm running Forceware 81.98 on a GeForceFX5200 128mb card if that's any help, though I presume there may be some sort of constants across cards?

...Or not, hey, what do I know? :thumbsup:

Exception
07-19-2006, 05:13 AM
So you'd advise setting Anistropy to OFF on the video driver?

No, to 'Application Preference'. Which is the default.
AA too... not just Anistropy.

Any other gems us total noobs may benefit from as regards video driver settings to help LW?

Huhum. Do the ATi catalyst thing rather than the manufacturer driver. I know they say its not wise, I say it is...
and I
am
a
puppy.

So you should listen to me. :P

I'm running Forceware 81.98 on a GeForceFX5200 128mb card if that's any help, though I presume there may be some sort of constants across cards?

If you see glitches, cold restart yer machine. Your video ram got corrupted.
If you have problems, Experiment with the multishader / GLSL and Buffered / Streaming setting.
OpenGL reflections may be hazardous to your health.
An overtaxed videocard is more likely to crash LW than a lightly taxed one.
If Lw crashes on startup, most likely, your video card doesn't like the GLSL shader thing. You gotta delete your config files and then it gets set back to Multitextures.
If Lw crashes when opening a specific object or scene file, also play with the openGL settings. Most likely it will solve your problem.

...Or not, hey, what do I know? :thumbsup:

Mr birdman, you are so not a newbie that the back of my eyeballs start to hurt when thinking about it.
You also get one dutch biscuit with a strawberry on it. Just cos you're cool.

Rayek
07-19-2006, 05:34 AM
I'm using an ati1900xtx with omega drivers and so far, everything is fine. Even messiah runs fine, it seems, and that one caused me some mighty headaches over the years (I'm an ati fan).

I've had some problems running lightwave with Kerio firewall, but since I switched to Comodo, no problems anymore. I tend to deactivate any background proces that isn't really needed. I use freeAV as anti-virus software. Version 9 runs fine and I've had no crashes since I installed it a week ago on my machine (4200+ X2, 2gb, custom built by myself). Previous rc versions did crash because of Kerio, though.

So check your background processes first, I'd say.

R.

badllarma
07-19-2006, 05:54 AM
Good Grief...................
How is it every time I hear anything on graphics cards every slates ATI I'm running ATI, have always run ATI and have very few crashes, and it's nothing to do with the graphics card!

In the final release of 9 I found the following, is less stable to pervious releases in the 9 beta testing this could be due to the fact I've not run all my plugins on it until now as I was getting sick of installling them in every new beta release.

So the crashes I've had so far have been the following

Old plugins a bit flaky with Lightwave 9
Lightwave 9.0 does not really like modeler and layout open at the same time, fine in Beta not so good now.
DO NOT try and work with 8.5 and 9.0 at the same time use one shut down & it's hub then use the other.

and thats it really no errors with regards to graphics cards though :)

Exception
07-19-2006, 05:58 AM
Good advice, and nice setup.

I use Trend Micro AV + Firewall myself. Safe as crazy, no nonsense configuration... it costs money but really not that much.

Dare I say it is the Lightwave of AV programs?

Kurtis
07-19-2006, 07:38 AM
DO NOT try and work with 8.5 and 9.0 at the same time use one shut down & it's hub then use the other.

This came up in another thread, and it's a good point for anyone trying to run multiple versions on the same computer. The Hub is not compatible between versions (the [8] Hub is not compatible with v9, and vice versa). If you are going to run one version and want to change to another, please manually close the Hub before launching the other version. Not doing so will cause instability.

Kurtis
07-19-2006, 07:45 AM
When you install LW9 it doesn't replace the previous version. This will obviously cause problems with saving the root file structures. I had checked the Config files but in my 24 hour daze, had not checked to see if the Content files had saved under LW9's application folder. I made an assumption that the Installer would do this for me as on earlier upgrades and versions. For some reason LW9 was able to automatically read from the LW8.5 Content file (?!!!) but rapidly became unstable.

Filmdesigner,

Full point (ie 7.0, 8.0, 9.0) LightWave upgrades have been full installers going back many iterations. This is in direct response to user requests to be able to run multiple versions of the program on the same computer. It should always install into a separate directory with separate config files. We do recommend backing up your config files and license.key files first though, just as a precaution. I believe this is mentioned in the ReadMe, but I will ask the documentation people to double-check that.

I have not heard any other reports of the issue you had with the content directory, but I will mention it to the appropriate people here. LightWave v9 will automatically try to reset your content directory to whatever directory you try to load an object or scene from, but it should ask you whether or not you want to do so first.

colkai
07-19-2006, 07:48 AM
No, to 'Application Preference'. Which is the default.
AA too... not just Anistropy.

ahh, whoops - just turned it off, back i go... :foreheads

I know they say its not wise, I say it is...
and I
am
a
puppy.

So you should listen to me. :P
Ahh yes, one must always pay attention to puppies. :)

Mr birdman, you are so not a newbie that the back of my eyeballs start to hurt when thinking about it.
You also get one dutch biscuit with a strawberry on it. Just cos you're cool.

You are too kind sir, though I know you're only being nice 'cos of the doggy references. :p ;)

Wait a minute, is that just your way of saying I'm old? :stumped: :lol:

Exception
07-19-2006, 08:01 AM
Wait a minute, is that just your way of saying I'm old?

I wouldn't dare sir,

eh,

buddy... :)

Can I play outside now?

Bog
07-19-2006, 09:29 AM
Very, very wise words from Exception there. Don't limit yourself to just updating your drivers, though - video card driver coders are forever putting new bits in, taking legacy bits out and generally making our lives more difficult. If you're having lots of crashtastic problems, then try rolling your video card drivers *back* a fwe versions. I'd rather lose a couple of frames a second than a single percentile of stability.

In terms of virus-scanners and the like, I use Avast antivirus and Spybot S&D as my "live" defences, and normal Windows Firewall (I've got a more stern setup at the router end). As time's gone on, that seems to be a tolerable compromise between security, and not making everything grind to a shuddering halt.

Oh, and especially in 9, with all the funky new OpenGL stuff it's worth switching all the pretty new shader types and multitexturing *OFF*, then re-introducing it item by item to see what works with your graphics card/driver combo, and what acts like a half-brick tossed into a running jet turbine.

jaketapia
07-19-2006, 11:37 AM
NA tried changing the Acceleration method.
I'm set to Buffered(VBO) here, but isf that doesn't work try Streaming.

Dan

That worked for me - 9 was crashing everytime I scrubbed the timeline on a variety of models. I switched the Acceleration method to Streaming and it works great. Thanks Dan! :)

lots
07-19-2006, 02:06 PM
I run all my firewalling needs outside of my system. By this I mean I have a dedicated Linux box that blocks, "stealths", and monitors all incoming and out going traffic from my home network. Even has fancy pie charts and an event log telling you what virus attempted to do what to my connection :P

This helps eliminate any problems I would have with Modeler <- Hub -> Layout connections. Additionally I practice the "dont fix it if it ain't broke" rule. I dont upgrade drivers, like motherboard or video, unless there is some gain to it. I keep an eye on every aspect of my system, I dont run many background processes.

Most importantly, I redirect my LW config files (config and plugin config files) to separate directories depending on which version of LW I'm running. I find that this helps avoid problems when runing multiple versions of LW. Of course, additionally, manually closing hub each time you switch to a new version of LW is manditory. Even if its from LW 9 32bit to LW 9 64bit...

Just be obsessive about keeping your system clean.. dont downlaod and install alot of programs, they usually hurt more than they help in almost any case.

Filmdesigner
07-19-2006, 06:05 PM
Things have settled down now. Layout has become more stable after tweaking the OpenGL settings (Thanks for that bit 'o advice!) and all is going smoothly with one exception. Layout is now hanging halfway through every third rendering. This is not a regular problem and I cant replicate it (I need to keep the Apple Activity Viewer visible as the processors drop from 195% to 98% when the hang occurs. A force quit is then needed).

I must say that I noticed Layout slowly became more reliable as the day progressed, even without further input with settings, excetera. A bit weird? You figure...

Kurtis, thanks for reminding me of the seperate install situation. I confess to have been living on upgrades and 9 was my first full install. What you said makes sense. I have completely reased 8.5 from this machine as it seemed to be a source of conflict, even when not running.

The only main difference between the scene of today and yesterday is I have reverted back to Classic Camera, which seems to be more reliable (?).

So, after upgrading my system to OSX 10.4.7, re-installing LW9, erasing 8.5, having a sleep and some coffee, things are now settling down.

Thanks to you all!

RTSchramm
07-22-2006, 11:14 PM
I was also having problems with Lightwave 9's layout crashing everyother day. I tested the memory, updated to the lasted Nvidia drivers, and etc, but no stability. That is until I came across an article on Data Execution Prevention (DEP). If you are using Windows XP with Service Pack 2, DEP may be causing your system to crash when you use memory extensive or legacy programs. DEP prevents a program from causing buffer over run errors as well as many memory performance techniques. Well I had a hunch that maybe if I created exceptions for the Lightware programs, I might limit the number of crashes that I have been experiencing.

Since adding the Lightwave programs as exceptions to DEP, I haven't had any crashes yet. So this looks promising.

I attached a zip file which contains two documents, The first one explains how to add Lightwave to the DEP exception list.

Also if you are using a 3rd party firewall that blocks outgoing traffic as well as inbound, I have included a second document in the zip file which explains how to configure Zone Alarm Pro for Lightwave. The same principles apply to other 3rd party firewalls.

I hope this helps, Lightwave is an awsome product (when it doesn't crash).

Rich

Cageman
07-23-2006, 05:19 AM
Maybe it is time for NewTek to create a PDF with recomendations for PC and Mac-users. Catering for both big and low budgets.

To aid NewTek when reporting a bug, PC-users can click on the start-menu, select run and type 'dxdiag' and save the information to a textfile.

I've provided an example. :)