PDA

View Full Version : The top 10 Lightwave Plugins.

SP00
07-17-2006, 01:04 AM
Hi everyone, I was wondering what are the best plugins that everyone must own. I'm sure there are a lot, but was wondering what are everyone's top 10 must owns. I know that for architecture and inorganic modeling, LWCAD2 is a must. For lots of particle effects, Dynamics is the way to go, etc.

Tiger
07-17-2006, 01:13 AM
F-Prime-not a "must have" but man, It rocks :thumbsup:

starbase1
07-17-2006, 03:09 AM
Well there are three that get very heavy use from me...

Hyperstars - because I do loads of space stuff, realistic fast starfields are essential. It's cheap too!

IFW2 Shaders. This really should be an essential purchase - hundreds and hundreds of presets, and a seriously helpful author. Tutorial vids on the web site too, superb documentation.

The nodal version is $99, and went on my shopping list the dayt I downloaded LW9.

One I get a lot of use from that I picked up here for free is the OBJ MTL material import script. And now I am embarrassed for not remembering the author... Lets you get the UV surfaces in when you import an OBJ file, particularly handy if you want to get stuff from Poser over to Lightwave.

Nick

Captain Obvious
07-17-2006, 06:31 AM
Fprime (I don't have it, but judging by what I've seen and heard, it defintely belongs on the top 10 list)

Kray (it rocks)

LWCAD (same as Fprime)

Exception
07-17-2006, 06:36 AM
Fprime
Fprime
Fprime
Fprime
Fprime
Fprime
SP_Move
HD_Instance
Vertibevel
Kray

(that's 10 innit?)

Cageman
07-17-2006, 06:46 AM
This really depends on what you do. Sure, FPrime is a **** of a plug, and it has to be on the top spot.

However, I've been setting up scenes for multipass-rendering and I found a free plugin that helps alot when saving out objects for diffent surface-settings etc. A real timesaver, to say the least...

http://www.tmproductions.com/FrameSets/FS-Products.html

Works with LW8.x, probably LW9 as well (havn't tried it yet).

cathuria
07-17-2006, 06:52 AM
Bevel++
IFW2 (nodal)
LWCAD
Rope Editor
Tree Designer
KO_POINTFIT
FPrime (bumped down on the list until it supports nodes)

...those are my essentials.

Bog
07-17-2006, 06:57 AM
Gosh. I can't think of 10 whole "Must-Have" plugins - LW's very complete as it is.

Fprime's nice, if a bit limited in ability.
Dynamite makes lovely, lovely flames

I'd've said "Relativity" but that's bundled now. I'd've said G2 but subsurface scattering's done internally now. Full version of Sasquatch, I s'pose, but most people don't really >need< it per se. I'd've said LWCAD but that was a pressie as well...

Dodgy
07-17-2006, 07:24 AM
One I get a lot of use from that I picked up here for free is the OBJ MTL material import script. And now I am embarrassed for not remembering the author... Lets you get the UV surfaces in when you import an OBJ file, particularly handy if you want to get stuff from Poser over to Lightwave.
Nick

That would be me :) (shameless plug)

moremetall
07-17-2006, 07:33 AM
LWcad and Meastro, make the workflow little more simple but LW is in generall more or less complete as it is (at my level, maybe I will change that later on dempening on what kind of work I'm doing in LW). :rock: :I_Love_Ne

jthompson3d
07-17-2006, 07:54 AM
Here's my list:

HD Instance :thumbsup:
FPrime (but needs new node suport....it's coming soon)
UV Imaginator
G2
Thomas 4D Rigging tools
LWCAD2
Vertibevel

paul summers
07-17-2006, 08:02 AM
Fprime
G2

Verlon
07-17-2006, 08:03 AM
IFW Nodal
UV Imaginator
FPrime
Sasquatch
Greenbriar stuff
Napalm

[this space reserved for whatever I need or think I need on my next project]

Celshader
07-17-2006, 09:09 AM
Hi everyone, I was wondering what are the best plugins that everyone must own. I'm sure there are a lot, but was wondering what are everyone's top 10 must owns. I know that for architecture and inorganic modeling, LWCAD2 is a must. For lots of particle effects, Dynamics is the way to go, etc.

Because I do a lot of studio work, I try to avoid commercial 3rd-party plug-ins as much as possible. I can't always count on a studio having a given 3rd-party plug-in, and I don't want to build a crippling dependence on tools that may or may not be there for me at studios. Some studios out here don't even let you download and install FREE plug-ins off the Internet. :(

-+-

That said, FPrime's useful for my freelance work, even though I can't count on a studio always having a license of FPrime for me.

I also look forwards to learning LWCAD2.0 for my freelance work, even though studios may or may not have it installed.

-

As good as the above tools are, though, I know I can't live without this:
http://flay.com/getentry.cfm

The Flay.com plug-in search engine is mission-critical, both at home and at studios that allow me to download free plug-ins.

-

I'm also in love with these free tools:
http://www.pictrix.jp/lw/index_2.html
http://f23.aaa.livedoor.jp/~fisjunk/plugin/plugin.php
http://www1.plala.or.jp/Otsuka/graphics/LIGHTWAVE.HTML
http://www.dstorm.co.jp/english/plugin/index.htm

...and I look forwards to someday learning these free tools:
http://d-creation.sakura.ne.jp/plugin.htm
http://homepage2.nifty.com/nif-hp/
http://home.att.ne.jp/omega/tabo/3dlabo/p_junk.html

theo
07-17-2006, 09:33 AM
Um the title of this thread should have been "The Top Plugins for Lightwave Ten".

This way we could have created a digital tsunami ripple through the entire Lightwave coast.

SP00
07-17-2006, 08:12 PM
Hmm, that is a good point about compatibility with LW system that doesn't have the plugin installed. I know the with F-Prime, you can still open the file on system without F-Prime, but I can see LWCAD Nurb system not working without the plug-in. Maybe someone can verify this.

Anyway, I think it would be a good idea to have multiple bundle of LW with certain plug-ins target at certain industry. For example, Architecture and Engineers would have a bundle with LW9+LWCAD. But I can see how opening a scene file that requires a plugin can create problems.

Gregg "T.Rex"
07-18-2006, 10:02 AM
Ten good plugins for my LW?
Sure!
Here they are, in order of importance:

01. F-Prime
02. HD Instance
03. IFW
04. OGO Taiki
05. Modo
06. Maya
07. Motion Builder
08. Real Flow
09. Vue
10. Messiah

All these tools are nice "plugins" for my good 'ol Lightwave...

Cheers,
Gregg

Bog
07-18-2006, 10:12 AM
06. Maya

Coffee all over the keyboard and monitors and it's your fault darnit!

Gregg "T.Rex"
07-18-2006, 10:20 AM
Heh... :D :D ;)

walfridson
07-18-2006, 11:30 AM
sasquatch anyone? :)

poetry in motion, lwcad and kray for me

havent tried dynamite...

KillMe
07-18-2006, 01:32 PM
1. FPrime
2. Bevel++ ( though sadly no catmull clark sds support for the concieable future )
3. C-plane
4. Virtual mirror
5.LWcad
6. no idea from ehre on though i use lots but my mind cant find them right now

hrgiger
07-18-2006, 01:41 PM
1. Fprime
2. Sasquatch
3. JettoBevel (Free)
4. Rope Editor
5. Thickener 2 (Free)
6. LWCAD
7. Fprime
8. Syflex(not available as of yet but certainly will be a welcome addition to Lightwave)

jasonwestmas
07-22-2006, 09:18 PM
Are there any other previewers other than FPrime and Viper for LW?

badllarma
07-22-2006, 11:15 PM
Are there any other previewers other than FPrime and Viper for LW?

The best is yet to come :thumbsup:

Yet to be released PIM :D

My list

HD_Instance
Maestro
LWCAD
FPrime
Xfrog
Vue 5.0

RedBull
07-22-2006, 11:55 PM
1)FPrime
2)Sasquatch (It's now too expensive and old for the price point)
3)XDOF II
4)HD-Instance
5)Taiki & Hikari
6)LWCAD1/2
7)Bevel++
8)IFW2/IFWNodal
9)InfiniMap Pro
10)Mesh Paint
---------------------------------------------------------------------

The ones used most often out of them are FPrime, IFW2, XDOFII and Bevel++.
(I'm also eyeing off several of Truarts plugins including the OGL loader)
(WOW i just realised that LW cost me more than XSI..) EEK!

Top Ten Free Plugins/Scripts

1) Darktree - Simbiont for LW.
2) Dponts RMan collection.
3) All of TB's (Yu's) plugin collection
4) Unreal Celshader
5) QV4
6) Picky Color Picker
7) Merge TrigonsX
8) Qemmloss3
9) All of Fi's plugins, like LoeStoe Pack and UVChalk.
10) Way to many others to count!!!!!!!

So many other Lscripts and Plugins i rely on to make LW as good as it is.

I would say i depend more on free scripts and plugins in Modeler, but most of my commercial plugins are mainly used in Layout.. Interesting.

gareee
07-23-2006, 07:09 AM
Maybe there should be a forum sticky, with the most popular free plugins and links?

The new uv unwrap one is a god send, and I've noticed a few free ones mentioned here I don't have yet.

Heck, maybe a whole forum topic could be free pligin posts, rather then sift through all the forums looking for them.

(The zbrush forums have a similar "resource" forum.)

soioartist
07-23-2006, 07:17 AM
G2 is still one of the best!

GandB
07-23-2006, 10:01 AM
I didn't see it here; but does anyone remember the name of a plugin that creates instant nuts/bolts/screws? I know I saw it somewhere, but I'm noot sure if it's compatible with LW.

-Keith

Tiger
07-23-2006, 10:17 AM
GandB, here is one-quickBolt, not for free-just a demo.
http://www.iemedia.co.uk/graphics/p-plugins.htm

GandB
07-23-2006, 10:21 AM
That's exactly what I was looking for. I've got an idea for a game we'll do later on, and this was going to be a great timesaver. Thanks.:)

-Keith

Tiger
07-23-2006, 10:32 AM
I found it on www.flay.com
Great place!

GandB
07-23-2006, 11:01 AM
I remember seeing it a month or two ago, but I didn't have a use for it at the time. Thanks again.

-Keith

zebrafish
08-01-2006, 10:20 AM
As good as the above tools are, though, I know I can't live without this:
http://flay.com/getentry.cfm

That link goes to the flay.com main page, and if I put in getentry
or getentry.cfm, if comes back with nothing. What is it, and where
can I get it?

Thanks!

Celshader
08-01-2006, 10:31 AM
That link goes to the flay.com main page, and if I put in getentry
or getentry.cfm, if comes back with nothing. What is it, and where
can I get it?

Thanks!

The search engine itself is my favorite LightWave companion. To quote my post above: "The Flay.com plug-in search engine is mission-critical, both at home and at studios that allow me to download free plug-ins."

Any time I run into a task that seems mechanical or that seems like something that could be offloaded onto the computer, I visit the Flay.com search engine. Given the right keywords, I almost always find a free utility that helps me out. :thumbsup:

Plakkie
08-01-2006, 10:41 AM
"Poetry in Motion"? I see that name much the last few days. Tried to find out what it is, but no luck. What is it? A realtime viewer of some sort??

Wickster
08-01-2006, 10:44 AM
I'm more focused on to modeler so here are my list.
Sp_Move3
UVMake_Edit (newly discovered)
LWCad
JWTools' EdgePack
Pp_Clone and Dp_Clone
PICTRIX's whole set of modeler plugins.
Texture Guide 2
UVimaginator

Seraph77
08-01-2006, 03:48 PM
hmm... I haven't found FIOExtender here... very useful, especialy for subdivision modeling: poly-by-poly, helps to increase modeling speed, and Fprime of course, and LW cad is good too, and I like asPolygonColoring as well - helps to make wireframe-clay renders of subdivided models - see attachement

cheers

Seraph

CAClark
08-01-2006, 03:58 PM
Vertibevel2
KW Edgesmooth
New Dimensions 2
Sel Same Surface
Normal Move & Rotate
UV Quadmapper

FI'sOExtender would have been there, but extenderplus does the same now.

RedBull
08-01-2006, 04:02 PM
LW Modeler has an Extender Plus these days, that i believe is better than FI'sExtender tool... I think David Ikeda's EP works on points, polygons, subpatch and symmetry modes.... So you may like that better these days.

And i bought KWedgesmooth for LW5.x And it still works today.. (freaky!)
Although Richards Rounder is likely better.

Edit: CACLARK beat me to it.... :)

ericsmith
08-01-2006, 04:39 PM
Unless I'm mistaken, none of the native LW extenders allows you to select a mess of points, and it will automatically find just the edge points and extend them in an intelligent point order. FI's extender does this perfectly.

Eric

StereoMike
08-01-2006, 04:53 PM
@Plakkie
Poetry in motion:
www.pimtools.be

It will be groundbreaking.
Though people often ask why there aren't any news about it, you can be sure, there has been and still is constant development going on. Right now PIM's capabilities have improved very much on various aspects of the tool.
I can't say anything detailed, perhaps there's a news update after siggraph (just a guess without any basis...or better: I know there's a lot of news, but I don't know when they can go public).

Mike

zareh
08-02-2006, 01:06 AM
1. FPrime.
2. infiniMap Pro.
3. LWCAD 2.0

bryphi7
08-02-2006, 01:55 AM
Pim does look great! It would be a real shame if it doesn't work with nodal...:(

StereoMike
08-02-2006, 02:23 AM
Hi bryphi!
Don't jump to conclusions.
Nodal doesn't make much sense for PIM. It isn't something like a renderpreview. Though you can use it very well to adjust your timings during animation setups, cause it has a blazing fast realtime engine that will handle your heavy models with ease.
It is no shame if it doesn't work with nodal: Do you think, it's a shame that e.g. unreal engine doesn't work with nodal? PIM is an integrated application development tool and there's no need for cpu intense textures in a realtime environment. PIM can display everything from normal maps to multipass rendering in realtime. Texturing objects like everyone does for game engines won't harm the workflow and will maintain high fps counts.
Though you can program own shaders.
In short: With PIM you can build your own games, kiosk systems, archviz etc and use it in realtime (send an .exe to your client to let him walk through his new facility). It's full compatible with javascript, works great inside lw (it will never crash lw) and uses cutting edge technologies.
I really look forward to the day, when you creative people will get your hands on it and start to post cool little games and tech gems.
Mike

bryphi7
08-02-2006, 02:35 AM
I saw the site, and they had my money months ago... Pim will be wonderful for what I do on the web and for disk. I want NOW!!!
I am just getting tired of having keep track of all the different features that don't work together, but this is one I will be happy to deal with...
I didn't see nodal on the site anywhere. I new if I typed my last post I would get a quick answer to my question.

unreal engine doesn't work with nodal
Does work with nodal, their nodal...

simonlion
08-02-2006, 02:41 AM
Offcourse, Fprime, I would say also, XDof, But there is no Tutorials for XDof
dose any-one knows where you can get any tutorial for XDof

StereoMike
08-02-2006, 03:10 AM
Unreal "Does work with nodal, their nodal..."

As I said, you can write own shaders. But really PIM isn't meant to replace the renderengine. It will open up a whole new universe for LW users.

Just don't focus on a specific feature you think you will miss.
If you don't have been working with PIM yet, you will be blown away.
Focus on the possibilities you will gain with PIM.
:)
Mike

gabrieloy
09-14-2006, 06:36 AM
FPrime
FPrime
FPrime
G2
plg_Make_UV_Edit

jasonwestmas
09-14-2006, 07:13 AM
F-Prime-not a "must have" but man, It rocks :thumbsup:

I think any previewer is a must have, especially the ones that work better than Viper. In my opinion that is the most frustrating thing about some 3D apps are their previewer incapabilities.

gareee
09-14-2006, 07:43 AM
I'd add the plg uv relax, and uv pack plugs as well.