PDA

View Full Version : LWSN nodes not outputting anything

stib
07-17-2006, 12:02 AM
Just updated to LW9, and switched all my render machines over. However, when I go to render, I get.. nothing. If I look at the CLI the node just says it's freeing up its frame buffer, and straight on to the next frame. Not even a .flx file to show for my troubles.

I noticed that the default start lwsn.bat file that came with the install had the configs set to a file called "lw3.cfg". I can't find that file in my install. My config files are all in a shared folder, which all the nodes can see, and the startup .bat file points to this folder. (Question: should I include the backslash at the end of path names? I'm a *nix kinda guy so this DOS stuff confuses me. Fancy not being case sensitive..)

Has anyone else had problems with network renders in LW9 or have I just plugged the wrong wire into the wrong socket somewhere.

stib
07-17-2006, 12:27 AM
OK I'll work through my personal problems in public, it might help someone else.

My guess is that the nodes aren't loading up the imagesaver plugins. I tried adding a plugin to the file to see if it would throw an error, and it did. So my LWSN nodes aren't seeing my plugins folder. ..? this setup worked without a glitch in 8.5, what's changed?

here's my startup commend for the nodes:

path "C:\Program Files\LWSN_nodes\"
LWSN.exe -2 -dY:\content\ -cX:\config9\ x:\command\job22 x:\command\ack22

X: is my shared lightwave folder, which contains a folder called config9 whuich has all my config files in it, Y: is the shared folder with all my content in it.

Anyone spot the obvious error? I sure can't.

stib
07-17-2006, 12:31 AM
Oh ok, I got my old 8.5 lwsn bat files out of the recycle bin and had a look, there was no trailing slash after the path to the config files. That seems to be the problem (I'm _sure_ I tried that already, but there you go, they don't call it SCREAMernet for nuttin).

dballesg
07-26-2006, 07:51 AM
Hi stib,

I just had your same problem, and your post help me to solve it.

Thanks a LOT.

Best regards,
David

BloodQuest
07-28-2006, 03:22 PM
Haven't checked this at home yet so I may be way off here but the startup line you've shown is for node 22.

By default ScreamerNet looks for 8 nodes, so the job and ack numbers need to be 8 or less

Try [blah] X:\command\job2 X:\command\ack2

Simon

pureandapplied
07-29-2006, 05:52 AM
No, it was the trailing slash that did it. I'm jus not as good at DOS as I am at *nix.

You can easily tell Screamernet how many nodes to look for, it's right there in the network render panel IIRC. Otherwise you could only ever have 8 nodes in your farm. (I don't have 22 nodes (I wish) I just have a couple of nodes on each machine, and for a while I was numbering them 11 12 21 22 31 32 etc with the first number being the machine number and the second the node. But I gave up on that malarky.

drano
09-15-2006, 01:06 PM
Brother! Thanks!

I just ran into this problem myself, and this thread nailed the solution first try! Thanks for posting!

arsad
09-15-2006, 05:56 PM
And don't forget to make the lwext9.cfg write only! (once you have the right
references to your x: drive)

Because otherwise each time you start LW it will rewrite them with the reference to c: (the drive you installed LW on)
This is broken since early beta of 9, but alas many posts and bug reports in open beta, NT doesn't react!

stib
09-17-2006, 07:52 PM
*titter* I think you mean read-only. Reminds me of the prank I read about somewhere (http://www.catb.org/jargon/html/W/write-only-memory.html), where some boffin put in specs for Write Only Memory to be approved (They did).

I find that LW doesn't overwrite the configs each time you start, but only every now and then the file gets. Hadn't thought about making them read-only. The only problem with that I can see is if you change any configs, like your keyboard shortcuts etc.

arsad
09-18-2006, 02:17 AM
*titter* I think you mean read-only. Reminds me of the prank I read about somewhere (http://www.catb.org/jargon/html/W/write-only-memory.html), where some boffin put in specs for Write Only Memory to be approved (They did).

I find that LW doesn't overwrite the configs each time you start, but only every now and then the file gets. Hadn't thought about making them read-only. The only problem with that I can see is if you change any configs, like your keyboard shortcuts etc.

Yep I meant read-only!

But in the meantime BeeVee jumped in another thread about the same problem.
the solutions is uncheck "autoscan plugins" in the general options.
And if you change keyboard shortcuts that doesn't matter because
they get written in another config file anyway. the reference to the
plugins gets written into the LWEXT9.cfg, this is the important file for
Networkrendering!

Phil
09-18-2006, 07:48 AM
*mutter* It wouldn't be that hard to make LWSN insensitive to trailing slashes - this would strike me as common courtesy, to be honest. I'll file a bug report if noone else beats me to it.

stib
09-18-2006, 06:02 PM
Oh, but that would be making it easy. That's not the way NT do things.

Kinetik
09-19-2006, 04:13 PM
i must be doing something wrong then because i can only get the local node to save files :/

i have 2 nodes set up, 1 on the master pc and another on a second pc. all the config stuff is in the /programs/configs folder and the entire lightwave folder is shared with full rwx rights to any other networked pc.

the 2nd node is some crappy laptop and in a folder called screamernet on c: also shared.

node1 (master pc) starts with:
E:\LightWave_3D_9\Programs\lwsn.exe -2 -ce:\Lightwave_3D_9\Configs e:\Lightwave_3D_9\Programs\command\job1 e:\Lightwave_3D_9\Programs\command\ack1

node2 is started with:
\\offworld\Lightwave_3D_9\programs\LWSN.exe -2 -c\\offworld\Lightwave_3D_9\configs \\offworld\Lightwave_3D_9\programs\command\job2 \\offworld\Lightwave_3D_9\programs\command\ack2

the first node works fine...the second renders (it seems to anyway)...but doesnt send the end result back to me. what am i doing wrong? :/

stib
09-21-2006, 05:58 AM
What's happening is that your scene file specifies an output path that is on the main machine, but which doesn't exist on your node. So the scene file will tell it to save to E:\Lightwave_3d_9\Renders (or wherever), and there is no such directory on the node. Instead of sending an error message, like you'd expect from a professional level application, it does things the Newtek way and carries on rendering regardless, sending the results into wherever files that are lost forever, never to return go.

Ok, you should to share the lightwave directory on your master machine and then map that network drive to the _same_ drive letter on both machines. What this means is that the output path will be the same on all the machines. Say you've mapped your lightwave folder to drive Z:, then where your scene file specifies it's output it will say z:\renders instead of E:\Lightwave_3d_9\renders\ (you will have to re-save your scene file of course, with the mapped drive as the output path)

As well if your config files are on machine one in E:\Lightwave_3d_9\configs\ you can instead write Z:\configs, and all the machines will look in the same place to get their configs.

I actually have an X: for my lightwave folder and an R: drive for renders, as well as a P; drive for my projects file (source images, AEPs references, script breakdowns and so on). They're not physical drives, just shared folders that I've mapped. I save my renders outside the lightwave folder because then I can do daily backups of the lightwave folder (it's unwieldy doing it with renders that might be several gigs)

Kinetik
09-21-2006, 10:58 AM
hm...

well ive been planning to do a format and repartition my drive again for a some time now..guess ill sort that out first and try your solution from a clean install. currently the node has lwsn on the c: drive while the host has it on e:. i didnt think that would matter much..guess it does.

ive followed like 5 different tutorials so far without success. any reason as to why its such a hassle?

why dont they make it so you just install some client prog to each node and then just hit render on yer host pc instead of creating odd network paths manually and moving config files around and editing those and then ending up with stuff still not working? :/

oh well...ill get it to work eventually...i dont give up easily :D