PDA

View Full Version : sound files in LW?

swanman
06-03-2003, 12:38 PM
please -
i need to animate motion very "tightly" to a music track. i'm not aware of a way to do this in LW.

thinking of switching to Cinema4D because of this single feature - but i just can't believe this is necessary.

aside form Magpie (for speech synch), is anyone aware of a method (plug-in or work around) to import sound files in to LW for this purpose?

much appreciated,

the swanman

electroNIX
06-03-2003, 01:24 PM
dont change... believe! ;)

Here ...from the new online helpfile...

...The Scene Editor gives you the big picture. Here you can see a list of all of the items in your scene arranged hierarchically. You can see all of the individual enveloped channels, perform global edits on keyframes, and change hierarchy. Here, you also set the wireframe colors, change visibility modes, and even load a reference sound file.

Adding Audio

You can sync your animation to sound: from the Audio pop-up menu, load a reference audio file (WAV format) that you can hear when you play the scene. A simple waveform is shown behind the time slider on the main interface. You can scrub though the audio by dragging the timeline slider or preview the audio by selecting Play Audio. Use the Clear Audio option to clear the audio from the scene.

The Fixed Frequency option keeps the audio from changing pitch when you scrub the frame slider.

You can delay the start time of a loaded audio file by selecting Audio Start Time from the Audio pop-up menu. The value you enter into the dialog is the delay amount in seconds (e.g., if Frames Per Second, on the General Options tab of the Preferences panel, is set at 30, entering 1.0 starts your audio at frame 30).

swanman
06-03-2003, 01:39 PM
electroNix,

this is nothing short of a miracle - it's getting very warm in here - i want to believe and remain among the faithfull!

from whence come these quotes? you're certain this is true for mac not pc? (noting the .wav reference)

in a swoon,

the swanman

electroNIX
06-03-2003, 04:21 PM
uuu... well, its hot here too... ;)

it should be in the online help... do a search for " sound "...

riki
06-03-2003, 06:18 PM
I'm on a mac and I use .wav files in Flash. Should be okay

swanman
06-03-2003, 06:40 PM
thanks riki,

have you ever brought sound files into LW? - does electroNix's quote sound familiar to you?

riki
06-03-2003, 06:56 PM
No I've never tried it but it would be easy for you to test. What's your email address, I can send you a tut that my be helpful. I can't publish it here becuase it's not my tut.

swanman
06-03-2003, 07:35 PM
alas, i 'm at the decision point of purchase, i learned and used version 5 at my former company's site - do not have the current version on my computer.

Paul Goodrich
06-03-2003, 09:42 PM
Yes it works, not only that - it works on a Mac.
Daniel Oates (see the newest 3D World Magazine for some of his work in the Gallery) and I loaded a .wav file into Lightwave and it not only played back but was scubbable as well. You click on the scene editer button and inside there's is a audio menu. Use load audio and make sure fixed frequency is checked. Voila!
Paul Goodrich
NYCLightwave.com (for the NYC LW users group)

swanman
06-03-2003, 11:07 PM
many thanks, my friend paul. this is very good news and i appreciate the time you took to reply.

and at this time i would like to include a response from a LW Technical Support Analyst on this issue. i believe this lays the question to rest. thank you all for your interest.

the swanman

["The ability to use sound files was added to LightWave with version 6. As long as the version you are using is 6 or later, you should be able to use this feature. On the Mac, you should also be able to make use of some Mac sound file formats, in addition to WAV."]