PDA

View Full Version : LW 9.1 at Siggraph 2006?

T-Light
07-16-2006, 07:35 PM
Bold statement I know :hey:

A good few months ago there was something said about LW9 & Siggraph, ie something along the lines of...

Wait till you see what what we've got in store at Siggraph
Loads of speculation followed, and Newtek kept schtum (fair enough :devil: ) :D

What I'm wondering now is, as LW9's just been released, I'm not holding out hopes for 9.1 within a couple of weeks, but what's the chances of the LW team showing us what they've been hiding up their sleeves?

Bog
07-17-2006, 03:40 AM
http://www.fractionalplates.com/images/forearm.jpg

Only with skin!

T-Light
07-17-2006, 05:43 AM
:D :thumbsup:

Rich
07-17-2006, 12:51 PM
I can't wait to see what Newtek has in store for Siggraph. This is going to be my first time going so I'm really excited. :D

Lewis
07-17-2006, 01:24 PM
I can't wait to see what Newtek has in store for Siggraph. This is going to be my first time going so I'm really excited. :D

Hmmm i wouldn't go with too high hopes , 9 just come out so i'd be pretty suprised if they have much new stuff to show that soon to make 9.1 already. I'd love to be wrong but people don't have realistic hopes sometime :).

ufo3d
07-17-2006, 01:36 PM
Didn't NT say that they are gonna show some news stuff in Sig? just a few weeks ago

Rich
07-17-2006, 01:40 PM
Hmmm i wouldn't go with too high hopes , 9 just come out so i'd be pretty suprised if they have much new stuff to show that soon to make 9.1 already. I'd love to be wrong but people don't have realistic hopes sometime :).

Well either way I am still excited to be going to Siggraph for the first time. Even if it's just to see the current version of Lightwave it would still be cool to meet a few people from Newtek. :thumbsup:

Kuzey
07-17-2006, 02:05 PM
Well....if this version was the last beta version, then one could expect to see a 9.1 :lol:

In any case....I hope they rock the place!!

:D

Kuzey

Wickster
07-17-2006, 02:28 PM
I'm with Lewis on this. I'd keep my hopes low. That way there's little chance of disappointment but a way higher chance of shock and excitement when proven wrong.

Safe Harbor
07-17-2006, 02:33 PM
We will be demoing LW9 with VoluMedic in the PNY booth (#626).

Nemoid
07-17-2006, 02:36 PM
I don't expect for a 9.1 at Siggraph, but i hope they will unveil a bit what's next in developing : more modelling tools in Layout ? more integration between modeler and Layout? some start on better CA? unlimited undos in Layout
(hint hint wink wink :D)?
Now that some work under the hood has been made, developing should go faster and even better IMO.

nukemodular
07-17-2006, 02:47 PM
huh...unlimited undos?

Nemoid
07-17-2006, 03:01 PM
nifty!! :)

robewil
07-17-2006, 03:14 PM
I suspect that the new stuff at Siggraph will be VT[5] and SpeedEdit. VT[5] was mentioned but not shown at NAB and SpeedEdit was shown, but was missing a lot of features. Tricaster Pro will probably also be shown, and maybe Tricaster HD.

janoverust
07-17-2006, 03:22 PM
Can't imagine NewTek releasing anything Lightwave related at Siggraph, and they have been relative open about what to come in the 9 cycle.

That the CA tools will be improved in time to come, is a no brainer... :)

Anunnaki
07-17-2006, 06:33 PM
Siggraph=Inspire 3D

Vincent D. Brumback

harlan
07-17-2006, 07:00 PM
Historically, NewTek tends to showcase their video products at the video related expos and their 3D/CG products at the 3D/CG related expos. They usually show their other products at each show as well, but much more subdued than the primary industry focus of the event.

I doubt that trend will be broken at SIGGRAPH... as it'd be pretty wonky to focus their SIGGRAPH presence mainly on video tools.

Considering that LW9 just shipped, I'm quite certain it'll be the main focus of the NewTek SIGGRAPH booth. It is well within the realm of reason that they may show some upcoming features of LightWave as well, but don't expect to see a preview of LW10.

Celshader
07-17-2006, 07:06 PM
Me, I hope they demo SpeedEdit! :heart: :boogiedow :heart:

EDIT - Hey, SyFlex for LightWave will get demo'ed at SIGGRAPH, too, according to Flay.com. This should make the larger LightWave houses happy.

Bog
07-17-2006, 07:22 PM
Cel, (Can I call you Jen?)

Does this mean you're coming to SIGGRAPH?

Kurtis
07-17-2006, 07:33 PM
No. We won't be showing LightWave v9.1. We will only be showing LightWave v9, SpeedEDIT, 3D Arsenal and TriCaster. Nothing else.

I NEED REST! NO NEW QUESTIONS ABOUT FUTURE LIGHTWAVE!

Seriously though, I'm not aware of any announcements that will be made between now and SIGGRAPH. Based on past experience, if we're going to show anything new at SIGGRAPH, we won't show it until SIGGRAPH.

So, feel free to speculate all you want, but I'm not telling you anything new for two more weeks. :neener:

(For those of you who aren't sure, yes, I am using large quantities of sarcasm here.)

Celshader
07-17-2006, 07:34 PM
Cel, (Can I call you Jen?)

Does this mean you're coming to SIGGRAPH?

"Jen" is fine. :)

I'm not going to SIGGRAPH this year, since Boston's too far away for me. I look forwards to NewTek's video broadcasts, though, and I also hope to attend future SIGGRAPH conventions held in San Diego and Los Angeles.

Bog
07-17-2006, 07:35 PM
Tsk! I'm coming from London! LA is no distance! Get Dave to drive, I hear he doesn't like drinking anyway ;)

*runs away quickly*

Anyway, if all goes well, I'll be living in your area by years' end - it would be ripping to catch up with you guys.

T-Light
07-17-2006, 08:39 PM
Bog-

Anyway, if all goes well, I'll be living in your area by years' end
You've planned an escape? Have you placed this through Big 'X', there'll be repercussions mark my words.

Darth Kurtis-

So, feel free to speculate all you want, but I'm not telling you anything new for two more weeks. :neener:
"Obi-Wan never told you what happened to your father" :D

Bog
07-18-2006, 03:05 AM
You've planned an escape? Have you placed this through Big 'X', there'll be repercussions mark my words.

Hollywood or bust, baby :) I've been freelancing for almost 12 years now, and am he11-bent on signing up with an actual studio. I'm really bored of being the most knowledgable LightWaver in the room (ego, ego) - I want to learn from someone else for once!

ThriJ
07-18-2006, 04:39 AM
Hey, I am always the most knowledgeable LightWaver in the room.

Yes… this is because I am the only person in the room.:p

And sometime when someone is in the room I am still the most knowledgeable LightWaver!

Yes… I am the only LightWaver in about a hundred-mile radius from here.:(

No. We won't be showing LightWave v9.1. We will only be showing LightWave v9, SpeedEDIT, 3D Arsenal and TriCaster. Nothing else.

Someone give poor Kurtis some tranquilizers. 8~ ;D :sleeping:

Bog
07-18-2006, 05:58 AM
Yes… this is because I am the only person in the room.

There's that too! It's not conducive to creativity if I don't have someone else's cerebral skirting board to bash my mental Dinky toys into!

Bytehawk
07-18-2006, 08:15 AM

Seriously though, I'm not aware of any announcements that will be made between now and SIGGRAPH. Based on past experience, if we're going to show anything new at SIGGRAPH, we won't show it until SIGGRAPH.

(For those of you who aren't sure, yes, I am using large quantities of sarcasm here.)

You almost sound like kosh, just with more words
and also a lot like a mutual friend we have, his name begins with A and ends with I.

TSpyrison
07-18-2006, 08:42 AM
Hey, I am always the most knowledgeable LightWaver in the room.

Yes… this is because I am the only person in the room.:p

Hey, can I steal that line? :D

nutman
07-18-2006, 09:51 AM

So who do you think you are, do you think they'll let you in on everything?
(Sarcasm back at you :D)

T-Light
07-18-2006, 12:10 PM
Bog-

Hollywood or bust, baby :)
Best of luck old man :thumbsup:

hrgiger
07-18-2006, 01:43 PM
Wasn't it Jay Roth or Proton, I can't remember which who said wait until you see what we have to show off at Siggraph? So, I'd be lying if I said I wasn't a little hopeful for some good news from Siggraph this year...

Lewis
07-18-2006, 01:59 PM
Wasn't it Jay Roth or Proton, I can't remember which who said wait until you see what we have to show off at Siggraph? So, I'd be lying if I said I wasn't a little hopeful for some good news from Siggraph this year...

They said that 'coz they were sure that LW9 will be "late" so they said wait till Sigg ;) :) :D (Sarcasm again ;))

janoverust
07-18-2006, 02:56 PM
Last year at Siggraph they said: "Grab 8.5 on your way out...".
I don't see that happen with 9.x.

If NewTek says ANYTHING about 9.x, people stop using 9.0 and start posting like mad.

Miles
07-18-2006, 10:29 PM
"Obi-Wan never told you what happened to your father" :D
http://map-media.com/vaderluke.gif

Wickster
07-19-2006, 12:30 PM
Since LW9 has just been released I would think NT would be demoing a Numeric+Alpha release...say LW9a more that a point release. Demoing, but not releasing to the masses.

But I'd like to be wrong on that assumption.

Bog
07-19-2006, 12:36 PM
At a wild guess, I'd expect them to be demoing 9.0.0.0.0.0.000000, plus VT[4], TriCaster, and possibly a soupçon of SpeedEdit.

If we saw 9.anything, I'd be very surprised indeed. NT tend to make the best Point Oh releases they can, and save the Point Somethings for either critical bug problems or a slew of new features.

Given the length and meticulous nature of the Beta process, I doubt there are any showstopper bugs that'd require an immediate 9.1.

amigo
07-19-2006, 07:20 PM
Usually I just lurk here and read, but I'm going to bite the bullet and post here my own (educated) speculations:

- NT will either release 9.x which might include some things that couldnt make it in the final 9.0 release, as well as fixes for any non-critical bugs and glitches that were not resolved before the release of 9.0.

- If we do not see 9.x then we will see 9.0 Mach-O and UB for Mac OS X. This would be a milestone release, signifying a change in the LW Mac core and switch to Mach-O as well as support for Intel Macs.
This will be a strategic release on the NT part (both business and technical) coinciding with Apple's release of Mac Pro's the week later (at WWDC'06). Many people waiting to upgrade their Power Mac's will jump on the Apple Mac Pro Intel ship and grab the single or dual cpu dual core Woodstocks (Xeon) which might also boost the sales of LW on the Mac due to availability of the UB version.

- SpeedEdit will ship and might be bundled with other things from NT, with some small discount, let's call it the SIGGRAPH promo till mid or end of August :)

- My own "pipe dream" would be seeing SpeedEdit in both Windows and Mac OS X UniBin flavour released at SIGGRAPH. This would truly be a "chess master" tactical strike on the NT part, especially with what I said about Apple's Mac Pro's being released the week later.
Offering a truly non-linear solution (according to NT) in the area where Final Cut Pro has dominated for years could really make some waves among Apple users. Again the affordable price tag for SpeedEdit is another important factor that could shake the FCP throne.

Of course, none of this might happen from NT, and we'll just see Cpt.Proton and the gang on the webcast showing-off LW 9.0, handing out free copies of LW, t-shirts, tutorial DVDs and books...
I'm at least hoping we'll have the webcast, for those of us who cannot make it to SIGRRAPH, to give us a small taste of how it's like being there :)

Bog
07-19-2006, 07:42 PM
to give us a small taste of how it's like being there

Take three thousand dollar bills.*

Throw them on a fire.

Drink yourself stupid for four days, eating only cold Sbarro pizza.

It's the SIGGRAPH experience, baby!

*modulo not having to spend 1,400 dollars on a flight from the UK

Kuzey
07-20-2006, 03:48 AM
An xcode/UB version of LW would be super cool, but I think that would be out as soon as Newtek is happy with it's rock solidness :D

Kuzey

Bog
07-20-2006, 05:27 AM
(I was kidding by the way, I'm really jazzed about going to SIG :D )

Kurtis
07-20-2006, 06:11 AM

Throw them on a fire.

I've never heard it described better. :D

ThriJ
07-20-2006, 06:53 AM
Hey, can I steal that line? :D

Sure.

I don’t think there are too many who can take the line “Yes… I am the only LightWaver in about a hundred-mile radius from here.” So I guess that one remains safe with me.:oye:

Phil
07-20-2006, 07:41 AM
Linux x86 and 64-bit ports of LW....well, one can dream.

Verlon
07-20-2006, 08:17 AM
Sure.

I don’t think there are too many who can take the line “Yes… I am the only LightWaver in about a hundred-mile radius from here.” So I guess that one remains safe with me.:oye:

Well, living within 100 miles of Newtek, I certainly can't claim that.

I just don't live within 100 miles of a Lightwave User Group.

Imagine that.

mattclary
07-20-2006, 09:20 AM
Well, living within 100 miles of Newtek, I certainly can't claim that.

I just don't live within 100 miles of a Lightwave User Group.

Imagine that.

Just go hang out at the office, they won't mind. :thumbsup:

amigo
07-20-2006, 05:56 PM

Throw them on a fire.

See I never understood that, I'd go to SIGGRAPH for the show not the boozing. If I want to drink I can go to many pubs around here, much cheaper and the effect is the same. Yes, I understand drinking with fellow artists has that camaraderie effect, but after so many drinks are you really coherent enough to know the difference? ;)

T-Light
07-20-2006, 06:15 PM
amigo-

but after so many drinks are you really coherent enough to know the difference?
No, that's the point, that's why I'm saving for 2007.

Bog
07-21-2006, 05:37 AM
See I never understood that, I'd go to SIGGRAPH for the show not the boozing. If I want to drink I can go to many pubs around here, much cheaper and the effect is the same. Yes, I understand drinking with fellow artists has that camaraderie effect, but after so many drinks are you really coherent enough to know the difference?

*Chortle* You're takin' me a little seriously, feller! I'm really looking forward to the conference. Been sat here with my Palm scribbling in bits and pieces of interest, things to go to, studios who I want to talk with (and pimp m'self to)... definately gotta go see the teapot exhibition ;)

But yeah, I'm really looking forward to the parties. It makes a **** of a lot of difference when you can rattle on about how cool it is that we can do computation fluid dynamics on the desktop, how rocking it is that GI is quick enough to use in desktop animation, where the industry's going, what the next cool things are. Especially for someone like me, who's been freelance since the year Dot, and I hardly ever get to spend time around folks who aren't, frankly, muggles.

Besides, my blackout point with alcohol is phenomenal. Irish DNA trained up by working in London, boozehound capital of the Universe. Bwhahahaha.

amigo
07-21-2006, 09:58 PM
Well dang, I don't drink so I wouldn't know or have any tollerance whatsoever and some people tell me I'm "missing a lot" by not drinking (though I'm not so sure) :)
On the other hand, I'm sort of kicking myself for not taking a week off and going this year, especially since it's much closer to me than usual (I'm up in Toronto, CAN).
Maybe some day they'll bring the conference here, it would be nice... ;)

Sande
07-22-2006, 03:07 AM
I know what they are up to - they will announce Lightwave 10!
That new Lightwave will be released in Q4 2006 and pre-ordering is available couple weeks after Siggraph. ;)

Fineprint: Actual release date may vary

Bog
07-22-2006, 04:26 AM
I'm hoping that they're going to launch a USB TENS machine that will stimulate and exercise my muscles to help make up for all the exercise I don't have time to do while I'm using LightWave. Maybe an under-desk stairmaster as well... *chuckle*