PDA

View Full Version : Los Angeles Kickoff Party

InfoCentral
07-15-2006, 09:07 PM
Well, I went to Kickoff Party and when the parking attendant said it would be $15 to park my car. I thought to myself, I could get two tickets to see Pirates of the Caribbean: Dead Man's Chest or I could pay this guy and see the Lightwave Kickoff. I told the parking attendant I would park my car back in my own driveway.

Being a resident of Los Angeles it is just unbelievable that NewTek would pick a place like the Spider Club in such a high density area of Hollywood to hold their party. Who ever planned this one needs to be fired! :devil: :thumbsdow :agree: :thumbsdow :devil:

EyelandArts.com
07-15-2006, 10:37 PM
ummm, yeah well welcome to the city. If you are a resident of LA then 15 bucks wont get you a mojito on a monaday afternoon. better get used to it.
A

archiea
07-16-2006, 02:33 AM
$15 was cheap. After the party, when I stumbled out of the club, the price was $25

digital verve
07-16-2006, 02:55 AM
Hardly Newteks fault is it really :confused:

EDIT: I hope this pointless thread gets deleted.

SplineGod
07-16-2006, 03:01 AM
I went. I thought the 15 bucks to park next to the club a good deal seeing as I didnt have a park and walk a few blocks. The party was pretty good and got to see a lot of old friends. Lots of new faces I hadnt seen before. Won a light thingy! :)

LW_Will
07-16-2006, 03:49 AM
Wow... I parked around the corner at a metered spot.

Cost me nothing.

Thanks for not showing up, eh. ;-)

I had great fun... there were alot of people hanging out, having dinner, talking, and speading the love...

LW_Will.. who won NOTHING, but is not bitter... ;-)

Bog
07-16-2006, 05:21 AM
Hum. Can't really sympathise, I'm afraid. These things tend to cost money. $15 is cheaper than a cocktail in most of LA isn't it?

Cageman
07-16-2006, 06:57 AM
Well, I went to Kickoff Party and when the parking attendant said it would be $15 to park my car. I thought to myself, I could get two tickets to see Pirates of the Caribbean: Dead Man's Chest or I could pay this guy and see the Lightwave Kickoff. I told the parking attendant I would park my car back in my own driveway.

Being a resident of Los Angeles it is just unbelievable that NewTek would pick a place like the Spider Club in such a high density area of Hollywood to hold their party. Who ever planned this one needs to be fired! :devil: :thumbsdow :agree: :thumbsdow :devil:

Ehh... so, did you go to the party? How was it? Bad? Good? I mean... if the parkingfee is the only thing you can bring up in this thread, the party must have been dead, like... one guy from NT and the bartender trying to install the LW-dongle on a demo-machine...

:confused:

InfoCentral
07-16-2006, 09:38 AM
Ehh... so, did you go to the party? How was it? Bad? Good? I mean... if the parkingfee is the only thing you can bring up in this thread, the party must have been dead, like... one guy from NT and the bartender trying to install the LW-dongle on a demo-machine...

The party was supposed to start at 7pm and I got there around 7:15. So, I was a little late. I never went it as I sure wasn't going to pay $15 to park. I lived in LA all my life, born and raised, so I leave that to the rest of the suckers here. Some have gotten so used to getting ripped off that they will tell you $15, $20-$25 is a good deal...even cheap!

At anyrate I looked around the parking lot and it was EMPTY. Does that tell you anything??? And I was in a rush thnking I wouldn't find a spot! You know this is why they have companies that do retreat/conference planning.

rurulesunc
07-16-2006, 10:01 AM
Well, sorry you missed a great party. Yeah the $15 was a lot for parking but seeing old friends and making new contacts was well worth it. Plus when you look at the cost of gas out here, just think of the money you wasted getting there and then going home.

Anyway, a big thanks to everyone from NewTek. Lightwave is such a small intimate community of artists that it is nice to go to parties like this. Not sure how big the actual turnout was but it was definitely a good number. So thanks NewTek!

Bliz
07-16-2006, 10:23 AM
Really don't get your reasoning? If there was a party near me (London UK), where I know there would be a lot of industry people worth networkig with, then yeah I'd be there.

InfoCentral
07-16-2006, 10:24 AM
Plus when you look at the cost of gas out here, just think of the money you wasted getting there and then going home.

Not a big deal for me as it was only 10 miles away; the same distance as my work and I ride my bike to that. While I was in the parking lot, the attendent was trying to sell me on staying and saying "what a great deal" the parking was as NewTek arranged for the discount of only $15, I saw 4 cars pull in talk to attendent and then drive off. I can only assume that they heard the price and made the same decision I did.

Celshader
07-16-2006, 10:28 AM
I never went it as I sure wasn't going to pay $15 to park. I lived in LA all my life, born and raised...

Next time, check for the nearest subway station to avoid parking lots. I've used the subway systems in both Los Angeles and San Diego to avoid paying outrageous parking fees for events like SIGGRAPH and the San Diego Comic Con. What you do is park in the subway lot for free, then buy a cheap subway ticket to get you within walking distance of your destination.

Last night, a friend of mine parked in the subway lot across from Universal Citywalk for free. Then she paid $3.00 for a round-trip ticket, hopped on the subway and exited at the Hollywood/Vine station...a block away from the NewTek party. She avoided traffic and saved herself $12 in parking fees.

-+-

The party itself was great. I got a chance to talk with folks who I hadn't seen in a long time, and I got to meet some forum folks for the first time in person, too. Good stuff. :)

Carm3D
07-16-2006, 10:31 AM
The party was great! A plethora of nice people, catered food.. Those Spinach & Goatcheese Pizza-Snacks were awesome. Tiffany if you can read this I'm waiting for your call! :heart:

Carm3D
07-16-2006, 10:33 AM
Yes I think meeting you in person was the most pleasant surprise, Cel! You're such a dear in person! Congrats on all your success!

JeffRutan
07-16-2006, 10:45 AM
The party was great! After we parked (driving up from San Diego in a car pool) we also noticed several free spots open along the street.
But who would complain about paying $15 to park when you get a great chance to network with fellow users AND free food and drinks???

Great party! Thanks NewTek for putting this on!

-Jeff

InfoCentral
07-16-2006, 10:58 AM
Next time, check for the nearest subway station to avoid parking lots.

That's exactly what I thought when I arrived. Next time I'll find out what the parking fee is if there is one. I've attended other companies events and this is the first one where the hosting company didn't comp the parking. And I've attended events at the Airport Hilton...always picked up the tab and I have never paid a dime for parking...ever.

Hum. Can't really sympathise, I'm afraid. These things tend to cost money. $15 is cheaper than a cocktail in most of LA isn't it?

Another good reason not to drink, especially at public events.

$15 was cheap. After the party, when I stumbled out of the club...

Now it sounds like a Kickoff Party I'm glad I missed!

The party was great! Lots of nice people...

Either "lots" is a relative term or Scotty was beaming people into the Spider Club. The parking lot had few cars. I drove around the club for 10 minutes trying to find street parking but because it was Hollywood & Vine, the most miserably congested part of the city, I didn't find anything. (I guess you would have to live here to understand). In driving around the block several times, thinking I should have taken the Metro when I noticed that there wasn't any foot traffic. I mean there was lots of foot traffic on Hollywood Bl. but not up the block at the Spider Club. So the parking lot is empty. Cars are pulling in and driving off. There is virtually no foot traffic around the Spider Club. But there were "lots of nice people..." What's wrong with this picture?

Carm3D
07-16-2006, 11:05 AM
But there were "lots of nice people..." What's wrong with this picture?

Alright alright Mr. Negative.. I modified the grammar on my post.

Celshader
07-16-2006, 11:23 AM
It was great meeting you, too, Carm3D! :boogiedow

Either "lots" is a relative term or Scotty was beaming people into the Spider Club.

That place was jam-packed when I arrived around 8:15PM. Next time take the subway and join us for the LW10.0 launch party. :)

manholoz
07-16-2006, 11:36 AM
So where are the pictures?
Anybody take pictures?
Apart from the food and drinks and networking?
Etc?

Bog
07-16-2006, 11:43 AM
Oh heck, yeah - pictures would be great! Bit of vicarious partying for those of us who couldn't be there.

Carm3D
07-16-2006, 12:05 PM
Sure thing... Here's a picture!

http://www.carm3d.net/MySpace/NewTekParty.GIF

It's like you're actually there, isn't it!

Bog
07-16-2006, 12:06 PM
I thought Proton had brown hair? Oh, I'm confused now....

Carm3D
07-16-2006, 12:08 PM
It's a black & white picture. :D

BCazzell
07-16-2006, 12:31 PM
If you live in LA then this should be nothing new to you. However I'd like to point out several things you seem to be unaware of or simply choose to ignore.

A. It costs $10-12 for a movie ticket in LA.
B. $15 for parking to a party with free food, drink, free stuff, prizes, and networking with friends and lots of talented people would be money well spent.
C. Within a 3 block radius of Hollywood and Vine there are numerous free or cheap places to park.
D. The parking lot was not full because people that didn't want to pay $15 chose to park elsewhere.
E. By 8pm the place was packed.

Basically, you have no valid complaint, and you missed a great party.

mattclary
07-16-2006, 12:35 PM
Man, I would have loved to been there, even for a $15 parking fee! One day, one day...

InfoCentral, I see you have been a member since Dec 2003. Of your 6 posts, you wasted 4 of them ranting about a $15 parking fee? Give me your address and I will send you $15 so you can go to the party next time and can post about something more interesting. ;)

And, seriously, you can get two movie tickets in L.A. for $15? I don't think I can do that here in po-dunk, certainly not in south Florida. Kinda makes me doubt you have lived there your whole life.

SplineGod
07-16-2006, 12:43 PM
It was nice meeting Carm, seeing Jeff there, Carpooling with Jen and Dave. It was great seeing Ron Thornton get an award. the place was packed. By the time I left the parking lot was pretty full. Hollywood on a Sat night is a mess. I was just glad to be able to park so close away from the massive traffic just around the corner. Definately being able to see everyone, get some food etc, get convenient parking was well worth it. :)

Wade
07-16-2006, 12:45 PM
LOL I am beside myself - parking fees so sooo sooooooooo what.

Priceless. :)

:grumpy: parking really - can't be for reall.

monstermaker
07-16-2006, 01:45 PM
Sorry I missed it. Sounds like a good time. I was planning on going but felt a little under the weather when the time came. I think the heat got to me. It is true that 15 bucks is a lot for parking but when you factor in the free food ,drinks, and good company it sounds like a bargain.

JeffRutan
07-16-2006, 03:25 PM
I posted a few pictures here:

http://www.newtek.com/forums/showthread.php?t=54081

Please add more pictures to that thread if you got 'em, or start your own thread. This thread is just silly in its negativity.

-Jeff

connerh
07-16-2006, 04:07 PM
Too bad I missed it. Ah, well... maybe I'll make 10, depending on my financial situation.

UnCommonGrafx
07-16-2006, 04:49 PM
Parking... I'm still laughing at the inanity of the thought.

Sounds like it was a good time.

Carm3D
07-16-2006, 06:58 PM
Parking... I'm still laughing at the inanity of the thought.

Sounds like it was a good time.

Yes.... poo-pooing a party because of the cost of a nearby parking lot is like saying Lightwave is bad because it doesn't grill fish.

It was a good sweaty time. It certainly was hot.

naldopr
07-16-2006, 07:12 PM
photos please:beerchug::thumbsup:

inquisitive
07-16-2006, 07:16 PM
Not a big deal for me as it was only 10 miles away; the same distance as my work and I ride my bike to that. While I was in the parking lot, the attendent was trying to sell me on staying and saying "what a great deal" the parking was as NewTek arranged for the discount of only $15, I saw 4 cars pull in talk to attendent and then drive off. I can only assume that they heard the price and made the same decision I did.

sounds like the wrong topic to gripe about.

If you were to say that you were planning to donate those $15 dollars to some food shelter but then you wouldnt be able to because of a parking fee i would understand.

JeffRutan
07-17-2006, 01:17 AM
Again a few pictures here:

http://www.newtek.com/forums/showthread.php?t=54081

DiedonD
07-17-2006, 05:55 AM
I live overseas.
Firstly it would a hellful of an experience to get all the necessary papers in getting a 3 day visa to US, as there are tons of speculations that we always attempt migrating to US. I would need a garantee from NewTek that I surely want to get back after 3 days, my banks account and present working contract. And still, as in most cases, there is no reply from US Office in my capital, until its too late. But lets say Im lucky, and move on further.

Next its the travelling. I have to fly to Rumania or some other big country first, and then to US, and only by First class, cause thats the only one available to us, generously provided to "help" in our long distant travels with "economic" air tickets. So that should cost me around 600$, and would take me probably a whole day of travel. But, lets move on.

Next, I would probably come to US, for the first time in my life I might add, and have a cab, settle on a motel or hotel, if I cant crash to a LW friend of mine, which would also cost me around 150$.

Alas, the time for the party would come, and of course I wouldnt have to pay for parking cause it would be a cab that drove me there with probably even a higher price than 15$.

See how worser it wouldve been for me. And If it wasnt for the visa thingy I wouldnt think twice in going there.

AND YOU!...ARE COMPLAINING ABOUT 15$! :devil:

What the heck is wrong with you! There are two options here. Your either a cheap person by nature, or your in a difficult financial situation. If its the later then Im sorry, but if its the first, then what were you thinking in buying LW in the first place?!
Theres a thread of mine with an interesting phillosophy. A Power Point is attached on it that some friends sent to me. I think you should go through that, cause it speaks about you I think, if its the first option that is.

15 bucks...Jeesh!

Exception
07-17-2006, 06:06 AM
We need a European launch party too...
Ben, you just been sitting at home?
I can arrange a castle near the Hague for free :)

manholoz
07-17-2006, 07:38 AM
I am just shocked with the cost of parking and movie tickets in Los Angeles. Here, a movie ticket is about US$2.5 before 3pm, US$3.5 after 3pm, and US$2 on Wednesdays.

Parking tickets, depend. From US$1 for 24 hours on some places, to about US$1 per hour on congested places.

And I feel ripped off!

Anyway, it certainly looks as if it was a nice event.

WilliamVaughan
07-17-2006, 09:59 AM
I thought it turned out great. I always love getting ot chat with everyone and meet people that I have chatted with online for years....always a blast.

hunter
07-17-2006, 11:12 AM
Well,
We we're supposed to go but my daughter's iguana escaped and we spent the whole weekend looking for him. Stupid Lizard! I bet it was fun and were the drinks free? If so, food and drinks for $15 is cheap date. :)
Sorry i missed it.

archiea
07-17-2006, 06:40 PM
The party was supposed to start at 7pm and I got there around 7:15. So, I was a little late. I never went it as I sure wasn't going to pay $15 to park. I lived in LA all my life, born and raised, so I leave that to the rest of the suckers here. Some have gotten so used to getting ripped off that they will tell you $15, $20-$25 is a good deal...even cheap!

At anyrate I looked around the parking lot and it was EMPTY. Does that tell you anything??? And I was in a rush thnking I wouldn't find a spot! You know this is why they have companies that do retreat/conference planning.

Kinda harsh, dude.. Newtek fronted the bar, the food, not to mention the club $20 enterance fee once you were done waiting on line for the folks who stayed. An evening out in LA for $15, and you are calling us suckers? You drove all the way out there just to turn around over $15? Welcome to Hollywood, LA native or not.

I thought we were harsh on Newtek because of Fprime!!!:D Man are we spoiled!

Bog
07-17-2006, 06:47 PM
archiea +1

archiea
07-17-2006, 06:51 PM
I live overseas.
Firstly it would a hellful of an experience to get all the necessary papers in getting a 3 day visa to US, as there are tons of speculations that we always attempt migrating to US. I would need a garantee from NewTek that I surely want to get back after 3 days, my banks account and present working contract. And still, as in most cases, there is no reply from US Office in my capital, until its too late. But lets say Im lucky, and move on further.

next time just come up through Mexico.. its less trouble...

AND YOU!...ARE COMPLAINING ABOUT 15$! :devil:

Welcome to america... Where we complain about everything, take everything for granted, and are consistantly pissed off that we aren't famous and rich like all of the other losers we love to make fun of on TV.. :D

Bog
07-17-2006, 06:59 PM
Welcome to america... Where we complain about everything, take everything for granted, and are consistantly pissed off that we aren't famous and rich like all of the other losers we love to make fun of on TV..

S'funny. I'm leaving the UK as soon as I can, because... well. You know Aristotle's definition of happiness?

"The exercise of vital powers, along lines of excellence, in a life affording them scope".

There's not a lot for me in the UK. I'm proud of the abilities I've built up over the last 13 years. I wish to use them to the fullest extent.

The UK is not the place to chase a life of excellence and reward for it, it reallly isn't.

America sounds pretty good to me.

Cesar Montero
07-17-2006, 07:14 PM
Man, that phrase is brilliant.

Bog
07-17-2006, 07:20 PM
Aristotle was a smart person.

monovich
07-17-2006, 09:54 PM
I went to the party, but didn't know anyone so it sucked. There, I added to the negativity! :)

seriously though, there was plenty of street parking, and since we're all creative people here (right?) people should've been able to figure that out for themselves.

I was to shy to jump in on any conversations, so I dipped in, looked around, and took off after about 45 minutes. It was a cool lookin' party, though. Thanks to Newtek for putting it on!

JeffRutan
07-18-2006, 10:38 AM
I am not very good with crowds either, but I am forcing myself to get in there because people networking is vital to making a living in this industry. Thanks to NewTek for providing a great opportunity for that!
-Jeff

BCazzell
07-18-2006, 11:28 AM
You'll find that most people in this industry are generally pretty nice people. Just walk up and say hi. I had some good conversations with a bunch of people I didn't know.

And you guys had it easy. I'm the one who had to get up there in front of everyone and present an award. :eek: