PDA

View Full Version : Problems Saving

rtl114
07-15-2006, 06:39 PM
Has anyone had troubles saving. I was working on an existing model for about 2 hours, saving along the way. I truned off lightwave, went to the store, eat dinner, came back to work some more and the model was where it was when i started early in the day.

Has anyone else had Lw not save there work?

Kurtis
07-15-2006, 06:53 PM
When you saved each time, did you notice if the asterisk in the file name field next to the layer buttons went away?

Were you using File/Save Object, or one of the keyboard shortcuts?

rtl114
07-15-2006, 07:11 PM
I did not notice the '*'. I was using the 's' shortcut.

Kurtis
07-16-2006, 05:01 AM
Please try using the "s" shortcut, seeing if the asterisk goes away, and if the model is actually being saved. If you are still having trouble, please try the File/Save Model and File/Save Model As functions as well, to see if you get the same results.

If only the "s" shortcut fails to save the object, please also check the Edit Keyboard Shortcuts panel to make sure the "s" key did not somehow become unassigned.

If there is a failure at any one of those points, please contact Technical Support tomorrow at [email protected] or 1-210-341-8444. They should be able to assist you further. If you can try the options above before calling, this will give them more information to assist you.

rtl114
07-16-2006, 05:58 AM
Please try using the "s" shortcut, seeing if the asterisk goes away, and if the model is actually being saved. If you are still having trouble, please try the File/Save Model and File/Save Model As functions as well, to see if you get the same results.

If only the "s" shortcut fails to save the object, please also check the Edit Keyboard Shortcuts panel to make sure the "s" key did not somehow become unassigned.

If there is a failure at any one of those points, please contact Technical Support tomorrow at [email protected] or 1-210-341-8444. They should be able to assist you further. If you can try the options above before calling, this will give them more information to assist you.

Hey Kurtis, Thanks for your help. Turns out it was user error. I found the file I was working on. It was under eve_v004. I completly forgot that LW made versions and only tried to load the file thru the 'Recent Files' option under file.

Kurtis
07-16-2006, 06:13 AM
Ahh. Yes.

Glad to hear you got it sorted out.

stib
07-18-2006, 03:51 AM
Tell me, why is it that Layout won't prompt you to save a scene before closing? It asks if you really want to quit, which is what programmes used to do back in the DOS days, but it asks that whether you've saved or not, which means after a while you either automatically always hit return after quitting, or get paranoid and go into a loop of incrementally saving, then quitting, getting the dialog asking if you are sure, thinking "did I save everything?" aborting, saving quitting, aborting, saving quitting.... Especially after a long night session when there's clients who want to see renders in the morning.

A simple "the scene file is not up to date, would you like to save it?" dialogue followed by a "some objects are not up to date, would you like to save them?" dialogue would not only be polite, it would also make Lightwave feel more like a professional app, and less like somebody's visual basic homework project. Compared to all the other great changes, it can't be that hard, and it would save untold hours of frustration and anger for your users. Put the work experience person on to it..

And while I'm griping, if you hit @ for revert, there is no warning whatsoever. Too bad if you meant to hit 2 or #. It's gone to the place where hard work that you didn't save goes, and it aint coming back. Who designed this sort of UI, Josef Mengele?

zapper1998
07-20-2006, 08:18 PM
been there done that also. myself

Kurtis
07-21-2006, 06:43 AM
Tell me, why is it that Layout won't prompt you to save a scene before closing? It asks if you really want to quit, which is what programmes used to do back in the DOS days, but it asks that whether you've saved or not, which means after a while you either automatically always hit return after quitting, or get paranoid and go into a loop of incrementally saving, then quitting, getting the dialog asking if you are sure, thinking "did I save everything?" aborting, saving quitting, aborting, saving quitting.... Especially after a long night session when there's clients who want to see renders in the morning.

A simple "the scene file is not up to date, would you like to save it?" dialogue followed by a "some objects are not up to date, would you like to save them?" dialogue would not only be polite, it would also make Lightwave feel more like a professional app, and less like somebody's visual basic homework project. Compared to all the other great changes, it can't be that hard, and it would save untold hours of frustration and anger for your users. Put the work experience person on to it..

And while I'm griping, if you hit @ for revert, there is no warning whatsoever. Too bad if you meant to hit 2 or #. It's gone to the place where hard work that you didn't save goes, and it aint coming back. Who designed this sort of UI, Josef Mengele?

On that, the best suggestion I can make is [email protected] I can't guarantee you'll get a reply, but I do know they get read. I talk to the person that reads them regularly.

stib
07-21-2006, 07:50 AM
Thanks Kurtis, I bumped it on to them. I'm expecting great things for LW9.1! Perhaps they'll even get it to ask before opening a new scene file before saving the old one, another favorite way to trash hours of hard work..

dmurallo
10-07-2006, 09:10 PM
I have a scene with a few models in LW9. I modify a surface and save an object. If I close layout and try to open the scene, that object comes up saying "can't open object". I can't open it in modeler. It says "Error loading...".

I can load that object in layout by itself, once I get to load two others, I start getting the "Can't open object".

I openning the object in LW7.5 and resaved it. Then I could use it in LW9.0 again.

I think it is a memory problem. I have a ton of RAM and a decent dual monitor card. Tech suppport doesn't have any answers.

Anyone been running intosomething like this? Any suggestions?