PDA

View Full Version : creating an uphill path, on the side of a mountain

gazdg
07-15-2006, 04:35 PM
Hi all,

Ok, i`m creating a landscape scene but I want to have an uphill path going alongsiode the mountain and this is causing me grief beyond belief! Firstly, whats teh best tool for creating the path? Im trying teh rail extrude but it just doesn`t seem to fit the bill, although i`m probably just doing it wrong.

Secondly, is it best to create it as a separate object and then boolean them together later on or create the landsape and extrude the path within teh mountain range itself?

All help greatly appreciated!!! And thanks in advance!

JBT27
07-15-2006, 04:41 PM
I would tend to create this by starting with a spline patched object. Use curves to rough out where the path goes, other curves to define the slope of the mountain, patch it all together, then apply a weightmap to the path. You can then use transforms, and displacements in Layout, using the weightmap to prevent any modification to your path.

So you need to build a kind of spline cage that outlines your mountain, complete with path, patch the curves, build the weightmap for the path, then start adding detail to the mountain using the weightmap as a block to keep the path intact.

HTH!

Julian.

gazdg
07-15-2006, 05:00 PM
hmmm, I think I know what you mean. Thanks. i`ll give it a try. Althoguh any further assistance would be great too :)

JBT27
07-15-2006, 05:08 PM
If you can build a good cage it's certainly a clean way to get the model started - if I get a bit of time I'll put one together and post it, but I've had enough for today....all this LW 9.0 excitement......:D

Julian.

gazdg
07-15-2006, 06:14 PM
hmm, thanks that would be great. Any help would be useful at this point!

JBT27
07-16-2006, 08:22 AM
There you go - it's not pretty but it may help get you started. You have a spline cage, a patched version, and a frozen SubD with weightmap (path) version, each in separate layers in the lwo.

Julian.

gazdg
07-16-2006, 01:52 PM
fantastic thank you! I`ll be honest. i`e never used splic cages before and when you mentioned them I did a tonne of research regarding their usage.

where have they been all my life!!!!

gazdg
07-16-2006, 05:56 PM
A quick question though.

In regards to the spline cage, did you basically just expand the original spline cage "tube" into the shape of the mountain?

Karmacop
07-16-2006, 10:44 PM
There is a motion plugin called sticky (and sticky surface) that comes with LW9 that will do this. You apply sticky surface to the mountain, and sticky to the object, and then the object will follow the surface of the mountain.

gazdg
07-17-2006, 01:35 AM
If I had LW9 I would be really happy about this! lol :)

gazdg
07-17-2006, 04:19 AM
One thing. When joining splines and i then TAb to transform, the areas often contain curves which don`t join. the only way around this i`ve found is to weld the joiints together. Is this the correct way?

Cheers!