PDA

View Full Version : Congrats - Anyone ?

Lewis
07-15-2006, 04:22 PM
Hi !

I'm reading forums while i render and setup some scenes in brand new LW9 and i can't believe what i'm seeing here :)? Are LW users so angry/unpatient to always bit*h about something (why no worley update, why no better this, why no that..) that they forgot to CONGRATULATE NewTek team for making Best LW ever ? I'm with LW since 3.5 (first standalone version on Amiga) and for me 9 is really stable and most useful version, especially modeler what I use most of time (I'm modeling 7 days at week and sometime 10-12 hours by day). Yes it have some quirks and smaller bugs but in general for me it's most stable version of LW so far and definitely fastest :).

One more time my sincere Congratulations to whole LW DEV team and i wish them many many more easier and faster updates in future :).

cheers

KillMe
07-15-2006, 04:35 PM
oh they did a great job no doubt - but would still like those links for fprime

Bog
07-15-2006, 04:36 PM
Not being funny, but my issue with Worley Labs is no issue with NewTek.

LW9 from LW8 is like stepping out of an F-104 and strapping a lithe new YF-22 to my bum. It's brilliant.

Thanks, NewTek. I'm good for a drink for any one of you whenever you run across me.

KevinL
07-15-2006, 04:45 PM
:agree: I would like to say thanks as well. This cycle has born much fruit. I also am confident that the 9.x cycle will do right, based on what I have witnessed so far.

Yes I would like further integration of LW and F-prime, but for me that had nothing to do with what I was expecting from this cycle. I am happy I spent the money and (beta) time.

Newtek development team, and support staff: Thank you.

Sincerly,
Kevin

PS "If you are unhappy with the software, buy something else or write your own, afterall it's a reasonably affordable country :) "

Kurtis
07-15-2006, 04:48 PM
We have actually had a large number of people offer a generous amount of kind words for us on the release of LightWave v9, both on the various forums and by direct phone and email messages. Thank you to you all. It is appreciated by everyone who put so much time into this endeavor, from LightWave Development and Marketing to Operations, MIS, Sales, Customer Service and Tech Support. As they say in Oscar speeches, the names are too numerous to list.

tyrot
07-15-2006, 05:20 PM
dear lewis

thanks for posting this thread.

This is my 10th year with LW. And this year i have so much more confidence, clear vision about future of Lightwave.

This year i will get more licenses and LW will make me dead rich when others only complain about that or this or about industry standarts or all other bla blas. I care about my pocket standarts and LW is the greatest way to make money and create something naturally.

Thanks for "Jay and the newtekers" you guys will rock this year. ANd i m so happy to see you are taking bold steps. I am happy that you are not letting yourself compromised by LW's somehow dramatic past.

BEST

3DBob
07-15-2006, 05:27 PM
I've also been with LW since 3.5 on the Amiga. I'd like to pitch in and say thanks too, stirling work - there are things that are so good with lightwave 9 - It makes me giggle with delight. It really is a massive advancement and worth the upgrade fee (I upgraded my second seat a couple of days ago - even considering upgrading my seat with my VT when I go to VT5).

WELL DONE NT.

- now fix THE BUG please ;-)

3DBob

Earl
07-15-2006, 05:37 PM
I have never been more excited and happy with a LightWave release than I am with version 9.0. Not just the "big" features, but all the small improvements they've made. The difference between 8.0 and 9.0 is truly remarkable. And that's thanks to none other than NewTek! I have confidence that whatever they're cookin' up next for LW (9.x...10.0), it will be even greater. :I_Love_Ne

oh and... :lightwave :lwicon:

Martin Adams
07-15-2006, 05:56 PM
Yes, I agree that NewTek deserve a big congratulations and thank you. I think the open beta was a fantastic idea. It worked in two ways; people got to play with the new features that they were eager to get the hands on, and NewTek could open up the testing to a wider audience, making a more stable product. Plus, people were less impatient for the actual release.

I was over at the Luxology site for the Modo 201 release and that was buzzing with activity anxious for the release. Having the beta allowed NewTek to focus on stability. The Friday updates on the Luxology site also worked extremely well in keeping the users informed.

I'm really looking forward to playing with the new features of LW9. Already I've noticed a scene I'm working on render in 2/5ths of the time than LW8.5. I think that's because LW9 has better object optimisation.

Not to mention the Vue Infinite 5 bundle for the upgrade! That was a truely awesome deal, just like the DFX+ bundle before.

I'm already looking forward to LightWave 10 :o)

I know I'd love to see improved fluid dynamic and hair (like Cinema 4D's one). But even so, LightWave rocks in my view :)

GraphXs
07-15-2006, 06:15 PM
:lwicon: :thumbsup:

Great Job Newtek! LW9 is a great product! Looking forward to all the great things planned! Reborn and rock'n!

cresshead
07-15-2006, 06:44 PM
cheers to all the peep's at newtek!

nice work!

ivanze
07-16-2006, 12:09 AM
Great work ppl. Congratulations!!

digital verve
07-16-2006, 01:22 AM
Congratulations. Work well done and best release in a long time, but still plenty to do to compete with other apps. Looking forward to the upcoming new modeler opengl, history, instances, fast radiosity, worley friendly sdk and more workflow enhancements.

:lightwave

Kuzey
07-16-2006, 02:20 AM
LW9 from LW8 is like stepping out of an F-104 and strapping a lithe new YF-22 to my bum. It's brilliant.

Go ahead, make a guy who can't use LW9 (yet) feel worse why don't ya :thumbsup:

But, I did enjoy watching the beta progress of LW even if it was from the sidelines...very cool indeed!!!

Well done NT team.

Kuzey

DogBoy
07-16-2006, 03:40 AM
I'm pretty dang happy with 9. I'm sure it'll take a good while to finally harness the power i've been given. I'm surprised how little people seem to appreciate the work that has been done.

I for my part wanna say: Way to go NT, sweet build and look forward to how the rest of the development goes.

lardbros
07-16-2006, 03:56 AM
Yep, a BIG thankyou is in order!! I enjoyed using LW8 anyway, but LW9 is making me grin even more by the day. Despite the arguments over icons and stuff, i'm loving the latest colour scheme of website and icons! Also big-up to Jay, Chuck, Kurtis and Deuce for your ever present faces in these forums, makes a HUGE difference.

Good work guys!

(Now i'm wondering if the LW9 upgrades will be beta tested too?? That WILL be cool!!)

colkai
07-16-2006, 07:20 AM

Thanks, NewTek. I'm good for a drink for any one of you whenever you run across me.
Likewise from over here.
Now see, THIS is why Newtek should hold a lunch party in the UK, we'd be buying them beer all night hehe. :p

If ever there was a good argument for summat, that's one for sure. ;)

Oh and Yeah,
Newtek? Ya done good, regardless of what the very vocal minority are saying. Tough work, start of a long road, some of us get that, so Bravo! :newtek:

messiah
07-16-2006, 08:03 AM
Likewise from over here.
Now see, THIS is why Newtek should hold a lunch party in the UK, we'd be buying them beer all night hehe. :p

Uhm Im not sure I want to attend a lunch party that turns into a allnighter, that would be some wicked lunch ;)

Bog
07-16-2006, 08:36 AM
Uhm Im not sure I want to attend a lunch party that turns into a allnighter, that would be some wicked lunch

Well, seeing as so much of London shuts down around midnight, we need to start early, y'see.... ;)

Hey, messiah - if I recall correctly, aren't some of the new cameras what started as Tuff Little Unit's "Vodka" tools? If so, then bloody good job!

T-Light
07-16-2006, 08:45 AM
Excellent work NewTek, biggest and best so far. :lwicon: :thumbsup: :) :thumbsup: :lwicon:

LW Lunch? If we can make it an 8:00am Breakfast that'll give us a good 16 hrs of pubbing :), or are you going to say London pubs don't open till 11?

JBT27
07-16-2006, 08:51 AM
:agree: Yes, it's a great start - congratulations to all at NT!

I'd point out though that the bitching is almost certainly down to alot of us caring about having it working and very highly competitive in the marketplace - it already is the latter, but it needs more.

9.0 is a first step to making LW what it should be and deserves to be.

Julian.

dgon64
07-16-2006, 09:53 AM
I also wanted to say thanks Newtek-great job! This feels like Christmas in July. I wish I got this kind of stuff in December. From reading some other posts though I can understand why Kurtis looks like he does in his avatar. That's why Newtek's staff get the "big money" I guess but seriously THANK YOU very much for all the effort.

JeffRutan
07-16-2006, 11:18 AM
This kind of software is some of the most complex and leading edge technology in the computer industry. It is an enormous job to do and even bigger job to make changes without breaking existing stuff or alienating the large established user base.

Congratulations are more than deserved for NewTek making such a big leap in the right direction with the release of LightWave 9.0! We all have areas that we wish were better and more complete. Some of us are disappointed that we still have to wait for the features that are most important to us. However, NewTek is on the right track and committed to bringing it all together. I believe they understand what we want, they pay attention to user needs and wishes, and the future of LightWave will continue to get much brighter and more complete with each point release.

After talking with some NewTek folks at the launch party, I am even more confident that they are sincerely focused on the important issues we all want addressed and they will deliver as soon as they can all the major features we need.

Thank you NewTek!

-Jeff

Tiger
07-16-2006, 12:27 PM
A Big Thank You to all at NewTek!
History has been made!
Congratulations :thumbsup:

Intuition
07-16-2006, 12:33 PM
Yes, totally agree.

Thanks to Newtek and its best achievement yet with Lightwave 9.

Lightwave has been my bread and butter since August of 1995 when it came to the PC from amiga (4.0).

Lightwave is a way of life for me. Thanks guys.

Bog
07-16-2006, 01:42 PM
OK, so it's more Dynamite than LW9... what can I say? I like setting light to things... :D

Anti-Distinctly
07-16-2006, 02:15 PM
I've said it before and I'll say it again, keep up this momentum guys :) And a big thank you for all the effort thus far. It's not been overlooked.

Cesar Montero
07-16-2006, 02:27 PM
Many congratulations to Brian Arndt for making the LW9 page so much better.
It takes a load of time to make it, and as far as I know, he made it all by himself. Congratulations!!!

Gianmarco
07-16-2006, 02:53 PM
user since version 5.
Thanks a lot . Great job.

BRAVI !

blabberlicious
07-17-2006, 02:33 AM
http://www.milartgl.com/Images_b/b_charge_of_the_light_brigade.jpg

(except in this case, they rode THROUGH the valley of death - whipped their asses, then had a beer in downtown LA.)

Well done Team.

Keep your powder dry for LW 10!

starbase1
07-17-2006, 03:19 AM
I chose not to be on the beta, and I have still not tried most of the new features - (not least because I still have a huge project to try and finish, and that means less time to play).

But I have already found many exciting new things in there. (Normal maps would top my list...)

UK based wavers - us London lot get together in a central pub quite often anyway, everyone is welcome so lets have an unofficial LW9 launch party, and talk over all the cool new stuff!

Nick

colkai
07-17-2006, 03:50 AM
Aye, been a long time since the North West group got together, and from what I can tell, there are a few new folks around the NW.

We should have a party in each locale to celebrate the work done and to have a laugh with the new toys. :D

digital verve
07-17-2006, 03:55 AM
We should have a party in each locale to celebrate the work done and to have a laugh with the new toys. :D

I agree :thumbsup:

Tiger
07-18-2006, 03:43 AM
Cheers!
http://www.bobdob.com/images/bob.dob.cheers.jpg

Rayek
07-18-2006, 06:15 AM
From someone who cross-graded 7 months ago: thank you, thank you, thank you! I've been modelling in the beta 9 since the beginning and it went from strength to strength. I hardly model anything anymore in other packages. This also holds true for Layout.

It just 'feels' right, especially in combination with a Wacom. Every day I actually enjoy starting up Lightwave. Pah, sometimes I just start Lightwave up for the heck of it.

Thank you Newtek!

KSTAR
07-18-2006, 03:21 PM
User since I abandoned Turbo Silver, and Scult 4D for Videoscape & Modeler with a hollowed out 68010 Amiga 2000 going click......click......click.......click.......clic k......click. So I have been along for the whole ride, and I have to say LW 9 is the best by far. Not only the new features, but LW Cad 1.5 and Vue 5 for free! Not to mention the incredibly low price of the LW upgrade itself. I read the forums daily, and it amazes me how much b*tching and whining goes on around here. I sometimes wonder if some of the users really know how good they have it. No software is perfect, no software company is perfect, but Newtek has given an opportunity through price and features with their software, that I dare say ANY other computer company has even come close to. Thanks for sticking to your Amiga roots in that respect. There is a whole generation in this industry who owe their start to Newtek, because of accessability through price and performance, and that is just as true today possibly more so. So I will step down off my soapbox, Im going to go fire up my Digiview! (for all you youngsters look it up) ;)

Great Job Newtek I cant imagine being in this industry without you!

Nicolas Jordan
07-18-2006, 03:40 PM
I have been using Lightwave since version 6 and I am very impressed with the advancement of Lightwave on version 9. To everyone that played a part in making Lightwave 9 you have done a great job, Thank You! :D :thumbsup: :lwicon:

Tesselator
07-19-2006, 06:43 AM
User since I abandoned Turbo Silver, and Scult 4D for Videoscape & Modeler with a hollowed out 68010 Amiga 2000 going click......click......click.......click.......clic k......click. So I have been along for the whole ride, and I have to say LW 9 is the best by far. Not only the new features, but LW Cad 1.5 and Vue 5 for free! Not to mention the incredibly low price of the LW upgrade itself. I read the forums daily, and it amazes me how much b*tching and whining goes on around here. I sometimes wonder if some of the users really know how good they have it. No software is perfect, no software company is perfect, but Newtek has given an opportunity through price and features with their software, that I dare say ANY other computer company has even come close to. Thanks for sticking to your Amiga roots in that respect. There is a whole generation in this industry who owe their start to Newtek, because of accessability through price and performance, and that is just as true today possibly more so. So I will step down off my soapbox, Im going to go fire up my Digiview! (for all you youngsters look it up) ;)

Great Job Newtek I cant imagine being in this industry without you!

Ditto on every point. Even the Turbo Silver and SA4D!

Well done guys!

Brian Arndt
07-19-2006, 08:24 AM
Thanks Cesar! :D