PDA

View Full Version : dynamite v1.1b is released

ufo3d
07-15-2006, 01:33 PM
http://www.cantarcan.com/v11/html/main.html

guys, take some rest and forget about Fprime and nodal system:devil:

Intuition
07-15-2006, 01:47 PM
Yeh, I'm actually downlaoding it now and will be playing with it today.

loki74
07-15-2006, 01:55 PM
Ahh, still another month before the Mac release!

This is definately something I'm looking forward to.

Intuition
07-15-2006, 02:31 PM
Well, there are no setup tutorials for the Fluids so if anyone can help out with a basic setup I would be ever thankful. :D

I added a basic ball and tried applying the fluid to it.

It then creates a box around the ball and says "no data for previewer".

So I press calculate and I cant seem to get anything to show up with any settings. Do I need two objects? An emitter and fluid box? WHen I move the sphere it also moves the fluid box.

I am assuming a fluid box defines where the fluid shows up and you need an object to move through it taht emits the fluid smoke, fire, dust.

Am I assuming right?

ufo3d
07-15-2006, 02:34 PM
yes, I think you need 2 objects.

go to fluid/Grid/Simulation Objects/ increase the value of density. click "calculate" button, you should see something on the viewport

and also, you should have a html format help file in the dynamite folder

jasond
07-15-2006, 02:51 PM
I've been messing around for a bit with the fluids.

At the top of the Dynamite window, select "Fluid" from the dropdown list.

Add a null to your scene. Add that to the objects list. This will make the grid area of the fluid simulation.

Go into "Simulation Objects" and add the object that will be on fire (the source of the fluid). Here you can set the "flammable" characteristics of the thing to be on fire. It'll need some density to show up, I think.

Make sure that the "on-fire" object is inside the grid area (you can see the box in the preview).

If you preview this you'll see the voxel effect on your object.

From there you define the characteristics of the fluid. I've found that checking "thermal calculations" and adding Convection is making a quick result.

So far this is sweet!

KillMe
07-15-2006, 03:05 PM
looks cool but - hard to see through that noise to tell how cool it really looks

edit take that back make the image abit bigger and throw on some aa and you can see the fire nto to bad even through the noise - looks sweet as **** and its fast

and i think the speeded up the particle too

Intuition
07-15-2006, 03:54 PM
Thanks for the help guys. Thats the info I needed. :D

Bog
07-15-2006, 03:55 PM
I say quite literally:

"Fire in the hole!"

One door closes, another door opens. I think I'm about to have a Jayne moment... :D

*edit*

Ordered... 189 Euros? Crikey O'Reilley, rude not to!

kfinla
07-15-2006, 04:41 PM
sweet, will have to try the mac version in a month.

Bog
07-15-2006, 04:42 PM
Should have bought a real computer ;)

Plakkie
07-16-2006, 06:16 AM
Hey guys,

can you tell me: is it worth the money? It certainly looks like that and I have got a lot of explosions to do. But I would like a second opinion...

Bog
07-16-2006, 08:38 AM
Just got my full version... it could *really* do with some docs or demo scenes. I'll keep you posted....

cagey5
07-16-2006, 08:39 AM
Wow.. no docs? That sure needs addressing.

Bog
07-16-2006, 08:41 AM
There's one HTML page that's less than illuminating (pardon the pun)

I've only just installed it, so I'm just having the most simple of plays. I'll re-visit the website to see if there's more info.

One page of docs just giving a slightly lengthier explanation for each widget's a bit thin for computational fluid dynamics, mind... :/

erikals
07-16-2006, 08:42 AM
Plakkie, from what I've seen it looks like great smoke, but the fire-examples are so-so.. Stockfootage might be a better solution for explosions if one is going for realistic fire/explosion. That said, I haven't tried it :) Will be cool to see what people come up with..

Bog
07-16-2006, 09:00 AM
Hmm. It's not actually very hard to figure out at all, once you realise that you've got to create a "host" object for your fluid emitter object to work within.

I just crashed it, but I think that's my own ham-handedness brought on by a 3-year-old deciding that 0430 British Summer Time is a smashing wake-up time...

Bog
07-16-2006, 10:01 AM
http://www.atomicfish.co.uk/images/burn1.jpg

2mins 27 seconds, 4 pass PLD through a Perspective camera, Noise Reduction and all settings at Max. HT Pentium 4 @ 3.2GHz, 1Gb RAM. It's only a shop-bought Compaq, so nothing special in terms of RAM or bus speed.

Crikey O'Reilley...

It took about 5 mins to pre-calc the volumetric globbyness, but those voxels are all there in OpenGL in all viewports.

This is lovely!

Plakkie
07-16-2006, 10:11 AM
I know enough; I'll buy this and incinerate all I've got!! :D

Bog
07-16-2006, 10:15 AM
*sings*

I want to set the wooorrld on fiiire....

http://www.atomicfish.co.uk/images/burn2.jpg

As ever with volumetrics, render-time goes up expontially with the amount of screen they fill and how close the camera is to the burnination. That frame was about 10 minutes - same point in time, just with the camera looking up the pillar of flame.

Sweet, cleansing flame.

Bog
07-16-2006, 10:21 AM
Now at v1.12b - I've just had an update in my email.

Already, these guys are getting my respect and making me very happy. What a fantastic weekend this is turning out to be!

Bog
07-16-2006, 10:23 AM
Sorry to keep wittering, but for those interested in the compositing aspects:

http://www.atomicfish.co.uk/images/burn3colour.jpghttp://www.atomicfish.co.uk/images/burn3alpha.jpg

MrWyatt
07-16-2006, 11:55 AM
I find it hard to get my head around new plugins that have no documentation at all. do you get one with the purchase or not?
second thing is, Is there a limitation to the Grid resolution in the demo? because when I crank the grid resolution way high up to over 800 it crashes LW everytime. and same goes if I crank the cellsize way down to 10 mm instead of the default 100 mm. I know that increasing the resolution or decreasing the cellsize simulates considerably slower than leaving it at default, but crashing is not an option for me. would it help to add more grids to the simulation or does that crash too?

any hints?
I am still pretty much sold on this one, just cannot afford it right now and I want more opinions before buying it plus some video walkthrough's would be sice, you know the ones that are so popular nowadays, where people get to see the plugin in action, like the vids for LWCAD2 for example.

anyway, cool stuff, very promising.

Intuition
07-16-2006, 07:25 PM
Ok, I've had some nice results with Fluids so far but I can't seem to get them to light a scene.

I am using rayleigh shading and have turned up many of the values to well past %5000 and do have mante carlo turned on. I still get barely any light in the scene.

Any thoughts?

duke
07-17-2006, 03:19 AM
Did you get a changelog with the 1.12b update?

Plakkie
07-17-2006, 05:57 AM
Playing around with the demo until I may download the full deal. I tried to use some collision objects to alter the fluid effects, but had no luck. Tried it with ordinary objects, but no luck either. Ideas anyone on how use collisions with this (or wind emitters) ? On the site there is a picture showing objects blocking the fluid stream it seems...

Bog
07-17-2006, 07:10 AM
Sorry, I'm a little confused. This new one may just be a replacement 1.1b rather than a 1.12b or ... oh ****. I have to idea... I'll have a look for a changelog.

Haven't tried bouncing fluids yet, still having entirely too much fun just blowin' stuff up. These really knock particle-driven voxels into a cocked hat if you're in any way serious about makin' stuff 'splode.

Digital Hermit
07-17-2006, 10:28 AM
Haven't tried bouncing fluids yet, still having entirely too much fun just blowin' stuff up. These really knock particle-driven voxels into a cocked hat if you're in any way serious about makin' stuff 'splode.

Ooooh! Show us some 'splodin' stuff! :D

Bog
07-17-2006, 10:51 AM
I just sent a stream bouncing off a sphere (just added it in the Grid tab/Simulation panel and enabled Object Boundaries.

Then I sent a sphere through the volume like a bullet through a lump of ballistic jelly.

Darn, this is so much FUN! Ahahaha!

I have to stop playing with this, gotta write me resumé before Siggraph... might do it tomorrow... heehehheee....

Bog
07-17-2006, 10:57 AM
Just a quick toast test... :)

http://www.atomicfish.co.uk/QT/burninate.mov

The impeccable fine-art background wot I did is included free of charge as I am all heart, and am a natural giver.

CoryC
07-17-2006, 12:09 PM
Just a note - A few sample fluid scenes have been added to the download page (http://www.cantarcan.com/v11/html/download.html)

Plakkie
07-17-2006, 04:01 PM
Haha! Bog, you are the Burninator! :D
Just installed the full plugin... it is midnight, the house is quiet, the stars are out... time to SET THINGS ON FIRE!!!
I'm currently doing a lot of explosions for some shots I'm making. When the workload has eased a little I'm thinking that it would be fun to create a big Lightwave Explosions Thread/Tutorial/Website, so that everyone can share his particular explosion, fire and smoke techniques and learn hot tricks.

But now for some fun. Can told me he is already working on a new version of his plugin, so I think we can expect new developments in the future, and new ways to TORCH THE WORLD!! :devil: