PDA

View Full Version : Lightwave 9 stability?

Tony3d
07-15-2006, 09:55 AM
How are Mac user's finding Lightwave 9"s stability? I'm hesitant to upgrade until I find out the facts. Are there any unexplained crashes?

Chilton
07-15-2006, 11:20 AM
How are Mac user's finding Lightwave 9"s stability? I'm hesitant to upgrade until I find out the facts. Are there any unexplained crashes?

I'm curious, too. We spent a lot of time making 9 more stable across the board, and fixed a number of Mac specific issues along the way. I also went through the archives looking for past Mac bugs that might not have been addressed, but didn't find too many.

So if anyone *finds* a crashing bug, please let us know!

paul summers
07-15-2006, 12:07 PM
Chiton "Here we go"

LW 9 and Fprime Mac

Crashes 50% of the time (only when fprime is installed)

1. Crashes on exit from layout

2. Crashes on loading scenes

LW 9 is a major improvement over LW 8.5 as far as been stable go's
OPEN GL is 500% better now on the Mac with LW 9.

Chiton please look into the Fprime bugs

Thanks

Chilton
07-15-2006, 06:12 PM
Chiton "Here we go"

LW 9 and Fprime Mac

Crashes 50% of the time (only when fprime is installed)

1. Crashes on exit from layout

2. Crashes on loading scenes

LW 9 is a major improvement over LW 8.5 as far as been stable go's
OPEN GL is 500% better now on the Mac with LW 9.

Chiton please look into the Fprime bugs

Thanks

Hi Paul,

When it crashes, it will likely ask you if you want to send a crash log to Apple. Click 'yes', and then on the next screen, copy all of the text in the crash log. Then close the window (it's not necessary to actually send it to Apple).

Paste the crash log info in an email, and send it to [email protected]

Thanks,
-Chilton

Darth Mole
07-16-2006, 09:46 AM
Well it still crashes (albeit less regularly), but my biggest bugbear is that freakin' Hub which never understands that there are no LW apps running and almost always needs a Force Quit.

Chilton
07-16-2006, 10:08 AM
Again, if it crashes, send crashlogs to me ASAP.

The Hub is an interesting beast. I did a bit of tweaking to make it more responsive, but this bug (where it wouldn't quit) crept up at the very end of the development cycle. I can't reproduce it myself, but I suspect it's for the same reason my car never makes weird noises when I bring it in for repairs.

If you can figure out a recipe for reproducing this, let me know! A lot of the how the hub works under the hood will likely change shortly, but I'd still like to figure out what this is.

-Chilton

BazC
07-16-2006, 12:42 PM
Hiya Chilton, I think most of my problems are now to do with the hub. I don't think I've had to force quit it but it NEVER shuts down on it's own and probably 80% of the time when I shut it down manually it insists that there are LW apps still active even though there aren't. I also posted an unreproduceable bug where modeler crashed when it was in the background and I was rendering in Layout. If I get anything like it again I'll send you the crash log.

Quick query about crash logs, does it just record the latest crash? So if I had a crash tomorrow it would overwrite previous info?

Edit: I don't think modeler has crashed since the episode I just described happened though I can't be 100% sure. Is it worth sending you the log just in case?

Darth Mole
07-16-2006, 12:47 PM
Chilton - yes, sure. Crash logs will be winging their way to you wth a description if I'm doing anything weird/unusual (with LW I mean... )

(I've got Unsanity's Application Enhancer running - anyone else get a lot of crashes using that by any chance?)

Chilton
07-16-2006, 02:54 PM
Hi Darth,

Everyone knocks APE when crashes come around, but I know the Unsanity folks, and there's no shortage of genius over there. It's also not in my nature to blame other people for something until I'm absolutely sure it's not my fault. So for the time being, I'll assume all crashes are LW's, though they might not be. If it *is* a problem with APE though, rest assured I'll be in touch with them quickly about it.

A problem for our users, even if it's a compatibility problem with a third party's product, is still a problem for our users, and needs to be treated as such.

-Chilton

Chilton
07-16-2006, 03:07 PM
Hiya Chilton, I think most of my problems are now to do with the hub. I don't think I've had to force quit it but it NEVER shuts down on it's own and probably 80% of the time when I shut it down manually it insists that there are LW apps still active even though there aren't. I also posted an unreproduceable bug where modeler crashed when it was in the background and I was rendering in Layout. If I get anything like it again I'll send you the crash log.

Quick query about crash logs, does it just record the latest crash? So if I had a crash tomorrow it would overwrite previous info?

Edit: I don't think modeler has crashed since the episode I just described happened though I can't be 100% sure. Is it worth sending you the log just in case?

Hi,

I'm never quite sure how Crash Reporter works. I think the crash you get immediately, in the crash log window itself, is only the latest crash. The earlier crashes are stored elsewhere though, AFAIK, and are accessible from Console.app. Open it (it's in Utilities) and look for the "~/Library/Logs" disclosure triangle. From there, find the app in question (Lightwave, Modeler, or Hub) and click that line. It should show you an appended crash log there.

-Chilton

Chilton
07-16-2006, 03:36 PM
Yes, send any and all crash logs, if it crashes in LightWave.

-Chilton

Yamba
07-16-2006, 10:31 PM
[QUOTE=BazC]Hiya Chilton, I think most of my problems are now to do with the hub. I don't think I've had to force quit it but it NEVER shuts down on it's own and probably 80% of the time when I shut it down manually it insists that there are LW apps still active even though there aren't. I also posted an unreproduceable bug where modeler crashed when it was in the background and I was rendering in Layout. If I get anything like it again I'll send you the crash log.

Hi Chilton,

Ditto the above quote.

Modeller works like a treat with me, but Layout, that's another story. Turn on smoothing crash, load scene 80% chance of crash and load object 80% chance of crash. In the interim I'll stick with 8.3 and chip away at 9 until mac issues are resolved.

Command: LightWave
Path: /Applications/NewTek/LightWave 3D 9/programs/LightWave
Version: ??? (???)
PID: 481
Thread: 0

Exception: EXC_BAD_ACCESS (0x0001)
Codes: KERN_PROTECTION_FAILURE (0x0002) at 0x00000000

Thread 0 Crashed:
0 hwrender9.shlb 0x01219d9c 0x1196000 + 0x83d9c
1 hwrender9.shlb 0x01201f78 0x1196000 + 0x6bf78
2 hwrender9.shlb 0x011eeffc 0x1196000 + 0x58ffc
3 hwrender9.shlb 0x011efa70 0x1196000 + 0x59a70
4 hwrender9.shlb 0x011b8a00 0x1196000 + 0x22a00
5 LightWave 0x004a1c84 0x405000 + 0x9cc84
6 LightWave 0x004f45e4 0x405000 + 0xef5e4
7 LightWave 0x004f44a4 0x405000 + 0xef4a4
8 LightWave 0x004dbb08 0x405000 + 0xd6b08
9 LightWave 0x0050c518 0x405000 + 0x107518
10 LightWave 0x0050bab4 0x405000 + 0x106ab4

mac since IIe and still sane, well almost.
Yamba

Chilton
07-16-2006, 10:54 PM
Hi Yamba,

Please email me a complete log. There's a lot of info in there that can help me track down what is happening.

( [email protected] )

Thanks!
-Chilton

Yacomo
07-17-2006, 01:14 AM
Hi Chilton,

I'm new to LW, just started with 8.5 last year and witnessed the development throughout the beta. I managed to crash 8.5 and the early beta versions of LW9 quite regularly, but as of late I find LW to be very stable.

You are definitely on the right track, keep going that route! :thumbsup:

Only time I managed to crash v9 was when I attempted an FBX import through Autodesks plugin (which is in dire need of an update anyway).

BazC
07-17-2006, 02:22 AM
Thanks Chilton, email sent! :D

Kuzey
07-17-2006, 06:18 AM
Hi Chilton,

I just like to say, I do like this hands on approach...very cool indeed!!!

Ps. LW9 not working on a G3 iBook is not a bug...right :stumped:

:D

Kuzey....the one who had to give it a try :thumbsup:

Yamba
07-17-2006, 07:18 AM
Thanks Chilton.
email is on its way, great to have you onboard and at the coalface.

Yamba

richardsan
07-17-2006, 01:40 PM
this may be a post, that should be a new thread, so here goes.
i'm using the parallels desktop to emulate windows xp. i am having trouble getting the dongle registered with my current windows v. of LW serial number. i've tried to disable and re enable in the device manager [from a post at the parallels forum] but it's 'no dice'. is anyone running a mac intel duo under parallels workstation and has been able to install lw and have it running, normally?
tia,
richardsan

CAClark
07-18-2006, 06:55 AM
I had been impressed with the OSX LW9 stability until today, when it has taken an hour or mor dicking around to stop HUB, Modeller & Layout all crashing on startup, when they had been fine for a week prior. And BTW, how are you supposed to uninstall LW on a mac?

Cheers!

Chilton
07-18-2006, 07:38 AM
Hi Chilton,
LW9 not working on a G3 iBook is not a bug...right :stumped:

Hi Kuzey,

I'm not sure if it's a bug or not. But I don't think you'd be happy with the performance anyway ;-)

-Chilton

Chilton
07-18-2006, 07:43 AM
I had been impressed with the OSX LW9 stability until today, when it has taken an hour or mor dicking around to stop HUB, Modeller & Layout all crashing on startup, when they had been fine for a week prior. And BTW, how are you supposed to uninstall LW on a mac?

Cheers!

Hi Craig,

You are not supposed to uninstall LW on a Mac. It is too awesome. However, I believe the LW installer might have an uninstall feature.

Regarding the crashes though, I've seen a number of posts where people suggest trashing the prefs files for one reason or another, and that generally clears things up. If you don't mind, prior to trying that, please send me your prefs. They're in ~/Library/Preferences/ and look for anything with NewTek or LightWave in the name. Zip those and send them to [email protected]

I'm trying to ascertain just why this trick works. Obviously, understanding that would help me track down just what isn't working right.

-Chilton

Kuzey
07-18-2006, 03:35 PM
Hi Kuzey,

I'm not sure if it's a bug or not. But I don't think you'd be happy with the performance anyway ;-)

-Chilton

Ahhh...yes, I forgot about that....there always has to be a catch to these things :)

Kuzey

Chilton
07-18-2006, 03:43 PM
FWIW, I know the tech support guys here have a G3 they were testing something on earlier. It might have been an earlier version of LW though. I'll find out.

-Chilton

Kuzey
07-18-2006, 04:00 PM
Ok..that made my heart skip a beat :eek:

It must be an earlier version....I was in heaven for just a second there :D :D

Kuzey

BazC
07-19-2006, 01:40 AM
I used to run LW7.5 on a 400MHz G3 iMac, it ran reallly well too! :D

Regarding stability etc. I discovered that once you've had a crash stability and communication with the hub can be poor to non existant :D Rebooting your machine sorts it out.

PeteS
07-19-2006, 01:50 PM
Chilton,
Just wanted to thank you for being the "on call" MAC guy. It's really good to see someone from Newtek in constant contact with us MAC guys. :-)

Thanks buddy!

Chilton
07-19-2006, 01:50 PM
Hi,

The official word is that no, it don't run no how on no G3. Those of you who are fans of logical word games will undoubtedly find a blunder there, so to reiterate, it will not run on a G3.

-Chilton

Chilton
07-19-2006, 01:51 PM
How's that for response time? Less than 1 minute ;-)

mike_stening
07-20-2006, 03:40 AM
hi chilton, just wanted to reiterate the thanks for being on hand here to trouble shoot for the mac side, much appreciated.
just a quick one on the prefs, would it be down to lightwave getting its pref files so that they don't match up so on start up modeler LW and hub have different settings they are trying to load? so that when you remove them a fresh set gets written that does match up?

would also be interested to know why layout has a habit of bombing when you hit F9 but can work when you actually click the render frame button.

anyway nice to have you around. :thumbsup:

Kuzey
07-20-2006, 04:19 AM
Hi,

The official word is that no, it don't run no how on no G3. Those of you who are fans of logical word games will undoubtedly find a blunder there, so to reiterate, it will not run on a G3.

-Chilton

I thought as much...oh well, begins the shopping process :)

Kuzey

BazC
07-20-2006, 04:20 AM
would also be interested to know why layout has a habit of bombing when you hit F9 but can work when you actually click the render frame button.

I've not had that problem but I would think a crash log would be a big help in figuring it out.

Cheers - Baz

mike_stening
07-20-2006, 07:14 AM
problem seems to happen when i'm doing alot of test renders and afteer a while "boom". and it seems that once it's started doing it it carries on but pressing render frame instead seems to work ok, weird
when it does it again i'll send the crash report.

BazC
07-20-2006, 07:31 AM
problem seems to happen when i'm doing alot of test renders and afteer a while "boom". and it seems that once it's started doing it it carries on but pressing render frame instead seems to work ok, weird

I've found that a crash can destabilise the app no matter how many times you open it. Rebooting your computer seems to set things right again. Might help a bit! :D

Chilton
07-20-2006, 08:18 AM

This is why I'm suspecting there's something wonky in the prefs. That should be the only thing carrying over from one run of the LW app to the next.

As BazC pointed out, Crash Logs are gold, man, GOLD!

-Chilton

eblu
07-21-2006, 07:32 AM
haven't been following the thread, this is more of a response to the subject.

I've found lw 9 to be VERY quirky. as it approached GM it got seriously quirky.

crashes increased about threefold, and now seem to happen as often or more than 8.5
The HUB just stopped working at all (even with deleting prefs the hub is Less reliable than it was at any point in the past)
Modeler slows down for no apparent reason (no high poly count no texture issues, etc...) a relaunch shows that modeler Can go much faster,but why should I have to restart modeler?
and now theres this really annoying "feature" where Lightwave does not read the mouse state, after you release it. so lets say your moving an object, and you get it exactly where you want it... let go of the mouse, and drag the mouse over to a tab to move on... and what? the object rockets out of the view port! same thing happens to ANY function that has you clicking in a viewport... what gives?

Tony3d
07-21-2006, 07:50 AM
I thought people were saying how stable Lightwave 9 is. I think I may hold off for the first revision.

CBronson
07-21-2006, 08:54 AM
Here's one that has been getting to me. Yesterday I worked on this object and when I went back to it today it says that the object is "read-only" and I cannot modify anything about it. I tried saving it under a new name but that didn't work. So I try copying the geometry and pasting it into a new object and that crashes the program everytime with the attached error. I would just go back to 8.5 which is still on my machine but I'm using those awesome Catmull-Clark subdivisions. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Chris

mike_stening
07-21-2006, 09:01 AM
have you tried doing a get info on the object and checking its ownership prefs as this can sometimes get screwed on save, had a similar thing happen with indesign docs before. but also had the same problem with 8.5 doing something similar though quitting and restarting cured it.

CBronson
07-21-2006, 09:18 AM
have you tried doing a get info on the object and checking its ownership prefs as this can sometimes get screwed on save, had a similar thing happen with indesign docs before. but also had the same problem with 8.5 doing something similar though quitting and restarting cured it.

I checked the ownership info and all is in order there, I also tried to reboot my machine but that didn't help either. Any other suggestions?

Chilton
07-21-2006, 10:03 AM
I checked the ownership info and all is in order there, I also tried to reboot my machine but that didn't help either. Any other suggestions?

Hi,

Can you email me the object? This looks like a perfect chance to nail this bug, if it is a strictly LW bug (which it sounds like it could be).

( [email protected] )

-Chilton

CBronson
07-21-2006, 10:26 AM
Hi,

Can you email me the object? This looks like a perfect chance to nail this bug, if it is a strictly LW bug (which it sounds like it could be).

( [email protected] )

-Chilton

I went ahead and sent it. :) And here it is as well.

Chilton
07-21-2006, 10:40 AM
Well, while you're feeling generous, if anyone else can reproduce this as well, let me know!

-Chilton

mike_stening
07-21-2006, 11:09 AM
opened fine on my mac in 8.5, if thats any help:rolleyes:

CBronson
07-21-2006, 11:20 AM
opened fine on my mac in 8.5, if thats any help:rolleyes:

When I open it in 8.5 any of the parts of the object that use Catmull-Clark subdivisions do not appear to be there, also I cannot modify anything once it is opened in 8.5. I get the same "read-only" error.

jat
07-21-2006, 12:05 PM
no problems here either but I did have the same error happen before where it said read only. Did you by an chance have this file saved on an external drive with another user account/password?

jat
07-21-2006, 12:09 PM
select that file and go the get info box and take a screen shot of the perrmissions on the bottom - expand ownership and permissions and details so that we can see what you have...

CBronson
07-21-2006, 12:15 PM
select that file and go the get info box and take a screen shot of the perrmissions on the bottom - expand ownership and permissions and details so that we can see what you have...

Here is what the permissions box says. And I always worked on it locally.

jat
07-21-2006, 12:20 PM
almost forgot...check the application permission settings and see if that's messed up as well.

jat
07-21-2006, 12:23 PM
finally, for the fun of it...try booting off the install CD and repair permissions.....if that doesn't work, burn the machine and while on fire throw it out the window............lol..... good luck

jat
07-21-2006, 12:33 PM
what are the permission settings for the folder that its in?

jat
07-21-2006, 12:45 PM
try this as well

try opening another LW document - if thats fine then log in as a different user and try opening the document -if it still doesn't work then its a LW problem (that never happens :) or the application support files/prefs might be messed up. See what Chilton says when he gets back to you

CBronson
07-21-2006, 01:42 PM
try this as well

try opening another LW document - if thats fine then log in as a different user and try opening the document -if it still doesn't work then its a LW problem (that never happens :) or the application support files/prefs might be messed up. See what Chilton says when he gets back to you

Ok, I tried all of those things and still no luck. I don't know if its related or not but the Hub seems confused. For some reason it sometimes launches 8.5's modeler when I am in layout 9 and vice versa. This might be something stupid I'm overlooking but not sure.

jat
07-21-2006, 01:53 PM
have you tried looking at the directory?

CBronson
07-21-2006, 01:59 PM
have you tried looking at the directory?

Yup, the directory is fine.

Kuzey
07-22-2006, 02:58 AM
Here is what the permissions box says. And I always worked on it locally.

On mine the Owner and Group settings belong to the same user, on your's the Group is owned by admin. I'm thinking that's the problem, have you fixed the permissions ?

Here's a quick test...zip the file and then unzip on the desktop and try to use it then..see if that works.

Kuzey

Kuzey
07-22-2006, 04:06 AM
I did a quick search and these might be helpful in regards to permissions :

http://www.osxfaq.com/Tutorials/LearningCenter/UnixTutorials/ManagingPermissions/index.ws

http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=106712

ok...It appears fixing permissions only works on system files etc. and not the user home folder or it's contents.

Just make sure you are infact an Admin, by checking "accounts" on the System preferences.app

If you are, then it must be something else.

Kuzey

avkills
07-22-2006, 04:20 PM
I am getting the same instability issues while using very large images as texture maps. Any ideas? I converted them to PNG because someone said they were more stable for LW. However, I may go back to TGA. Image sizes are around 21600x10800; around 300MB each.

Machine is a dual 2 G5 with 3.5GB RAM, X800. I am pretty sure my RAM is good since no other applications seem to be so finicky.

-mark

Kajico
07-22-2006, 11:45 PM
New user to LW, just got my copy of 9 yesterday.

Yeah the hub seems buggy as ****. I'm having problem synching files between Layout and Modeler. When I synchronize, the object does not update in Layout, when I go into modeler and modify it, send it to layout it will not update either.

When I select the object in layout, and go to Replace/Object and select the same object file (which i just saved in Modeler) it crashes right away.

I disabled hub, and I just tried the Replace/Object and it didn't crash, worked just fine.

I will turn hub back on, recreate it issue and send crash report.

I also have a problem, that somehow now everytime I load up Layout after it initially crashed, the view by default appears through the camera, instead of perspective. Is there a way to reset this?

Kajico
07-22-2006, 11:54 PM
ok n/m after turning the hub back on, it seems to be working again. Although F12 won't bring up modeller (even if I click on the button), and it still won't synchronize the file from modeller to LW, but it will send the modified object.

If I get another crash report i'll mail it in.

parm
07-23-2006, 01:18 AM
The only way I've managed to get Layout and Modeler to connect with each other. Is by launching the Hub first.

Every time I start from Layout or Modeler. The Modeler switch button does not appear in Layout and the Layout switch options are greyed out in Modeler.
But the Hub does launch automatically and appears in the Dock. Although Layout and Modeler appear not to be connected to the Hub in this case.
Any attempt to quit the hub gets the error dialogue:

"Lightwave applications are still active quit Layout and Modeler in order to exit the Hub"

Everything seems to work OK here as long as the Hub is launched first

Kuzey
07-23-2006, 06:43 AM
Hi CBronson,

I didn't have a problem with your file as well.

Have you tried using the zip version you uploaded...download it and see if that works.

I kinda remember that if you zip a file then all permission settings are lost.

Best of luck,

Kuzey

mike_stening
07-24-2006, 02:58 AM
might be worth you running Onyx on your mac (if you haven't already got it)
here's a breif description:
'Product Description:
Mac OS X. It allows you to run misc tasks of system maintenance, to configure certain hidden parameters of the Finder, Dock, Safari, Dashboard, Exposť, Disk Utility... to delete cache, to remove a certain number of files and folders that may become cumbersome, to see the detailed info of your configuration, to preview the different logs and CrashReporter reports, and more.'

you can grab it here

http://www.versiontracker.com/dyn/moreinfo/macosx/20070

worth running this after every install and every couple of weeks.might help you out.

CBronson
07-24-2006, 08:34 AM
Hi CBronson,

I didn't have a problem with your file as well.

Have you tried using the zip version you uploaded...download it and see if that works.

I kinda remember that if you zip a file then all permission settings are lost.

Best of luck,

Kuzey

Hey,
I tried those things and downloaded the zipped version I posted and it loads fine in lightwave 9, I just can't modify anything. I'm not sure but it really seems like a Lightwave error rather than a Mac error. Any other ideas would be appreicated.

CBronson
07-24-2006, 08:42 AM
Well, I can now edit my object, I think it is a problem with the hub because the way I got my object to stop giving me "read-only" errors was to close out of layout and modeler and open the hub first, then launch modeler from there and I can now edit my object.

Anyone know if this is a weird bug in the program or could I of done something stupid while installing it. Still doesnt explain the hub weirdness of sometimes launching 8.5 when I'm working in 9 though....

mike_stening
07-24-2006, 09:16 AM
that sounds more like a problem being written into your prefs files from the Hub, can't think of another reason for it launching 8.5 while working in 9 though never had 8.5 launch v7. or could the hub be 'seeing' both sets of pref files for 8.5 and 9?
you could try zipping your pref files for 8 and see if the problem goes away, the hub may be seeing your v9 files as 8's or something like that or launching v9 and trying to use v8 pref files. kinda guessing now:hey:

avkills
07-24-2006, 10:03 AM
I just had a weird issue today. Layout seemed to crash everytime I opened a scene. I thought maybe I did have bad memory, went back to just 1.5GB and the problem still persisted.

So I put the memory back in, opened layout, closed layout, opened it again, but only used the layout GUI buttons to load the scene and it works.

I wonder if there is something weird with the Mac standard open/load functions.

Another weird thing that happened is I launched LW8 and the hub for 9 stayed opened up instead of the one from 8 launching. I wonder if I should purge all previous versions of LW from my Apps folder.

I've deleted all the preference files also to see if that was the issue, it still crashed after I did that.

-mark

mike_stening
07-24-2006, 10:11 AM
open up the hub for LW 9 and have a look at what it says next to Launch Processes, it should say what program folder it is looking at and prefs.
you could also try launching from the hub like bronson did and see if that fixes it/or not.
Chilton has the Hub changed much from version 8.5? (sounds like it may have not)
We still haven't upgraded to 9 yet though i am trying to get it through for sign off to upgrade and buy another seat. so am very interested in fixing these bugs before we get just in case i run into the same stuff. :thumbsdow :thumbsup:

Chilton
07-24-2006, 10:20 AM
Hi guys,

The Hub is currently under investigation for being mean. In the event you suspect the hub has been mean to you, please email me and let me know. ( [email protected] )

-Chilton

mike_stening
07-24-2006, 10:24 AM
rofl :ohmy:

Chilton
07-24-2006, 10:35 AM
The problem is that the hub is increasingly becoming the prime suspect for stability issues. I am, of course, hesitant to do anything drastic until I know for a fact that it's the problem though.

I will now mumble incoherently, back to my lab. But I am serious about wanting to know if hub activity is tied to any specific issues LW's users are encountering.

-Chilton

mike_stening
07-24-2006, 10:45 AM
lol, sorry not having a go there, just liked the 'mean hub'.
one thing i have noticed with teh hub in 8.5 is that it doesn't always 'talk' to the other programs properly, so say you are working in layou on a scene with modeler open with the models from the scene in and you want to make a chnage to a model, if you update that model layout doesn't update when you switch back to it, yet if you send object to layout it goes straight in you just end up with dupes, easily ammened just deleate the dupe layers and keep the new ones. and sometimes a save all objects from layout doesn't seem to save the objects properly so that little * by the object name in modeler doesn't go away. along with the hub being convinced that programs are still open wether they have crashed or not. the hub can sometimes behave like a petulant child. and with the hub deactived everything apart from cross program communication works fine (saving files).

avkills
07-24-2006, 11:01 AM
So disabling the Hub again? How does one accomplish this?

-mark

avkills
07-24-2006, 07:28 PM
Okay, I disabled the Hub and Lightwave has been rock solid so far. It seems to me there is something conflicting in the Hub. Even my huge image maps for my hi-res earth are working fine.

-mark

Chilton
07-24-2006, 07:40 PM
Hi Mark,

The hub is under the scope at this very moment. I'm hoping to get this resolved quickly, because it appears that removing the Hub from the equation seems to fix things for most people.

-Chilton

avkills
07-24-2006, 08:35 PM
Chilton,

Glad to hear you and the team are on the case. Makes me feel a bit better knowing something is up under the hood of the Hub.

-mark

mike_stening
07-25-2006, 03:30 AM
disabling the hub has been a good fix for some time now if things have got screwy just disable it, but it's good that instead of recommending to diable the hub that a fix could be due, would be a shame to loose something which is potentially very good and is inherent to the way that lightwave works.

hope you nail it chilton. :goodluck: :compbeati

Kuzey
07-26-2006, 03:14 AM
Hi Chilton,

I have a crazy idea...... :hey:

It is possible the hub either opens the file itself or sets it's flag as open (in use), there by making it read only for modeler?

Say, if you have the same image open in two different programs at the one time, edit the image in one program "so it's in the computers memory" and then try to edit the other one, wouldn't that make it read only.

There have been times when I viewed an image in preview or whatever, closed the window but not the program and then tried to delete the image...I would get an error like "this file is in use and can't be deleted".

Yes..I told you it was crazy :D

Kuzey

cbreton49
08-01-2006, 02:25 PM
I tried opening that ferris wheel and it worked fine on mine then I tried one of my own that has given me that error message and it worked fine. This is what is so frustrating, sometimes the error message shows up and other times it dosen't so it's not the object as I feel it is the finicky LWv9 -
and crashes, I can't seem to open modeler and click on 'o' to go to a project without it crashing on me as well.
there has to be answers out there somewhere and hopefully soon.....
cbreton49

Chilton
08-01-2006, 02:41 PM
Hi Sarah,

I'll have an answer for you very soon. And thank you for the emails, they're quite helpful.

-Chilton

Phil
08-01-2006, 02:41 PM
What puzzles me is that I only saw it once and yet you are seeing it so much. I'm half wondering if there is a collision with antivirus or similar. What programs are you running in the background? Task manager has a process list; if you are comfortable posting a screenshot of this, it may shed some light.

The fact that is so intermittent really makes me think this might not be a LW issue, but more OS/background program related.

cbreton49
08-01-2006, 02:42 PM
Well, I can now edit my object, I think it is a problem with the hub because the way I got my object to stop giving me "read-only" errors was to close out of layout and modeler and open the hub first, then launch modeler from there and I can now edit my object.

Anyone know if this is a weird bug in the program or could I of done something stupid while installing it. Still doesnt explain the hub weirdness of sometimes launching 8.5 when I'm working in 9 though....
I tried that and it did NOT work for me, if that's any help to anyone...
cbreton49

cbreton49
08-01-2006, 02:51 PM
What puzzles me is that I only saw it once and yet you are seeing it so much. I'm half wondering if there is a collision with antivirus or similar. What programs are you running in the background? Task manager has a process list; if you are comfortable posting a screenshot of this, it may shed some light.

The fact that is so intermittent really makes me think this might not be a LW issue, but more OS/background program related.
I'm not sure who you were addressing, but since I am having that similar problem I am posting my screen shot as well. If you hadn't meant me, please excuse. I took norton out and that still didn't fix any of my lw9 problems.
cbreton49

cbreton49
08-01-2006, 05:08 PM
well, I downloaded that OnyX and did a system cleanup and maintenance and I have now tried to replicate the crash, the hub, and the 'o' problem in LWv9 over a dozen times and it won't do it, I won't say it has cleared up the problem as yet, since it was so unpredictable but I will keep an eye on it and see what happens and let you all know.
cbreton49

wahoorob
08-02-2006, 06:43 AM
Have been using LW9 since downloads became available.

So far, no crashes while using, but occasionally when I exit Layout it gives me a "you've crashed" message...but it's always as I'm exiting.

cbreton49
08-02-2006, 10:21 AM
day two and still not more problems with 9 - (after using the OnyX program-free download) might be worth a try - if it clears up the problems for you it was a computer cleanse not a 9 bug, which sounds good !!
Carol