PDA

View Full Version : Writing plugins for OS X LightWave

byte_fx
07-14-2006, 10:28 PM
Maybe this belongs down in the developer area but .....

I'm switching from Intel systems to Power Mac and would like to compile some of my PC Sbinary plugs for the Mac.

So some basic questions -

- does mac lw even support true binary plugs (not compiled lscripts)? I've seen some comments that makes me wonder if it does.

- what compiler would be the best to use?

thanks

byte_fx

Chilton
07-14-2006, 11:03 PM
Hi,

At the present time, you would use CodeWarrior on the Mac. When the transition to XCode is completed, you will need to recompile them in XCode.

Further information about plug-ins will be made available as soon as we have something interesting to say ;-)

-Chilton

jameswillmott
07-15-2006, 12:31 AM
Is there any way of cross-compiling Mac plugs on a PC? or vice versa?

BazC
07-15-2006, 01:17 AM
Further information about plug-ins will be made available as soon as we have something interesting to say ;-)

-Chilton

Now that's an intriguing statement! I hope it means what, err, I hope it means!

byte_fx
07-15-2006, 09:19 AM
Hi,

At the present time, you would use CodeWarrior on the Mac. When the transition to XCode is completed, you will need to recompile them in XCode.

-Chilton

Thanks Chilton !!

Now that's an intriguing statement! I hope it means what, err, I hope it means!

Precisely my thought. :)

byte_fx

byte_fx
07-15-2006, 09:31 AM
"As of May 1, 2006, Freescale's Developer Technology Organization (Formerly Metrowerks) will no longer sell CodeWarrior Development Studio for Mac OS v10."

Back to the drawing board so to speak.

Other options?

byte_fx

Chilton
07-15-2006, 11:24 AM
I really don't get why Freescale did this. They could have continued selling it as an unsupported app, on the cheap, and turned a nice (if small) easy profit. Who knows.

At any rate, I'll give you a solid answer on this probably later this week. As in, this week starting tomorrow.

byte_fx
07-15-2006, 08:32 PM
Thanks Chilton.

It's refreshing to see someone make a commitment of this nature.

Most of the plugs were written for LW v7x and have been at least partially (if not completely) superseded by v8 features.

But a few remain for v8 that might be worthwhile to convert - and maybe tweak a bit in retrospect.

As for v9 - I haven't even had a chance to really look at it yet. So I don't know if any will need to be converted. On the other hand - I also don't what posibilities may be newly opened.

Best regards.

byte_fx

Chilton
07-16-2006, 06:43 PM
As for v9 - I haven't even had a chance to really look at it yet. So I don't know if any will need to be converted. On the other hand - I also don't what posibilities may be newly opened.

If you (anyone) can think of a plug-in or something that needs to be updated for 9, and which is not already a feature of 9, and which has been abandoned by its author (so as not to step on any toes), let me know, and I'll see if I can be of assistance to its author.

-Chilton

BazC
07-17-2006, 04:46 AM
Samir Kaatchi (AKA Katachi (http://www.newtek.com/forums/member.php?u=61203))is a plugin developer for Cinema 4d, I spoke to him some time ago about the possibility of porting his plugs to Lightwave and he was very interested. He went as far as buying LW and an upgrade to LW9 to investigate the possibility of writing his DPIT plugin suite for LW. After meeting some problems he seems to have gone off in a hufff because he didn't feel he was getting the support he needed from NT.

DPIT would be a MAJOR asset to LW if he could port it. It started as a tree and plant generator but has become MUCH more. he has added landscape generation, instancing, shaders and is now developing polygonal hair.

DPIT homepage (http://www.dpit2.de/)

Hair video (very early development stage from sep '05) (http://www.dpit2.de/download/dpit_hair.avi)

Jeffers
07-17-2006, 05:10 AM
Chilton,

As posted on the Beta forum, I have a minor problem with Dynamic Realities NFX2 under LW9 on Mac. Text input boxes turned from dark grey in LW8 to white in LW9 making the text unreadable. Andy from DR has not replied to my email.... I believe it's OK on a PC? Something must have changed in LW9 development to cause this - like I say, minor problem but very annoying!
Any help welcome.

byte_fx
07-17-2006, 12:20 PM
If you (anyone) can think of a plug-in or something that needs to be updated for 9, and which is not already a feature of 9, and which has been abandoned by its author (so as not to step on any toes), let me know, and I'll see if I can be of assistance to its author.

-Chilton

Thanks once again Chilton.

From the outset Ligtwave has been a good core program that also allows 3rd parties to provide enhancements. Even thru ARREX scripts for early versions running on Amigas.

Some may be free, others may be commercial, but real support for 3rd party developement is very important.

byte_fx

Ambival
07-17-2006, 02:26 PM
I really don't get why Freescale did this. They could have continued selling it as an unsupported app, on the cheap, and turned a nice (if small) easy profit. Who knows.

At any rate, I'll give you a solid answer on this probably later this week. As in, this week starting tomorrow.
Because even if CW has some nicer project management and layout features, you still can't beat the price of XCode 2. :)

jeremyhardin
07-17-2006, 08:22 PM

-Chilton

Hiya Chilton,

OpenEXR was abandoned by Rainmaker and the source given to Newtek for inclusion in 8 and making cross-platform. I don't believe it ever made it in.

How about that one? :D

LSlugger
07-18-2006, 02:33 PM
"As of May 1, 2006, Freescale's Developer Technology Organization (Formerly Metrowerks) will no longer sell CodeWarrior Development Studio for Mac OS v10."

Back to the drawing board so to speak.

Other options?

If you can't get your hands on CodeWarrior, you can use MPW, available free of charge from Apple. Personally, though, I would wait until LightWave can handle Mach-O plugins.

Jeffers
07-18-2006, 02:44 PM
I would like to see OGO_Taiki for the mac.

parm
07-19-2006, 03:23 AM
TreeCage (http://perso.orange.fr/dpont/plugins/TreeCage_Lscript.htm) hasn't worked on the Mac since 7.5.

It would be wonderful to have C4 (http://www2.informatik.hu-berlin.de/~goetsch/C4/#) working on the Mac platform.