PDA

View Full Version : VT2 locking up

bobby
06-03-2003, 09:01 AM
What are some remedies to prevent our machines from locking up? I'm recording court sessions for tv and really can't afford for my machine to lock up. It's not consistent, but I'm not sure what to try to alieve this problem.

I'm using a Dell Precision 530, dual 2.2 Xeons, plenty of free space recording in RTV format and my throughput is about 125 MB/s using 3 striped SCSI drives.

It's a bugger. It'll be solid for a while, then all of a sudden, complete freeze. Ctrl-Alt-Del does nothing, and I have to physically unplug the machine and plug it back in to get going again. Of course in doing so, I've lost everything I've recorded thus far.

I realize there could be a variety of anomalies, but is there anything apparent I could look at? Thanks.

bobby
06-03-2003, 09:09 AM
Man, this sucks....twice within one hour now...

RayLarson
06-03-2003, 09:46 AM
Had that problem early on but I added a UPS and have not had it again.

May be a power issue. I know it was for me

Paul Lara
06-03-2003, 09:47 AM
Hard screen lockups are frequently an indication of a corrupt graphics driver. Try uninstalling your graphics card (nvidia?) driver and install the latest reference driver from nvidia.com

wvp
06-03-2003, 09:24 PM
Also I would make sure settings in preferences are correct.
Check the settings that have to do with PCI speed, CPU bandwith, DDR resources, etc.

bobby
06-04-2003, 08:47 AM
I'll try those suggestions and see what happens, thanks. I do have my machine on a UPS, so I don't think it would be a power issue. I have an ATI card and I haven't been successful in getting my dual-monitors to work correctly, so maybe that's the culprit. I'll keep messing with it.

James Moore
06-04-2003, 02:50 PM
is the ati card pci or agp? The VT card used to have a problem if it sat in the first slot which is shared with the agp slot. I'm not sure if this is still a problem, but if you have an agp graphics card you may want to make sure that he VT is not in that first slot. If it is a pci card, that could interfere with the data transfer on the pci bus.

SBowie
06-04-2003, 04:03 PM
I would suggest losing the ATI card...

bobby
06-17-2003, 11:06 AM
I guess it is that ATI card...disabling the 2nd monitor and only using one today, not a single lock-up...Think it's time to go to NVidia...Thanks guys.

irfan
06-23-2003, 02:23 PM
Which NVIDIA card did you end up getting?

bobby
07-01-2003, 10:04 AM
I haven't yet, I'm researching now to decide on a card. Got any recommendations? I was looking at the PNY Quadro FX1000 128MB DDR AGP Dual DVI. At $850, that should be on hell of a card. Are there others I should consider for dual DVI?