PDA

View Full Version : what would you do?

old fashioned d
07-14-2006, 09:49 AM
Hi all,

I need some advice. I just completed a big illustration job for a client of mine that will net me about $7,000. I used a combination of LW ( for the product modeling and rendering) and did their catalog cover illustration using Photoshop.

I'm seriously considering using the money to get a new Quad G5 and 23" Cinema display. I did this job using my 20" iMac and while it worked just fine i'd LOVE the speed increase of the Quad system. The only thing holding me back is the new Intel machines that will arrive eventually but I understand that there has not been any real info as to when Newtek will be releasing a Universal Binary version of LW.

What would you do? Should I just wait it out?

Also, can anyone tell me just how powerful the Quad machine really is while using LW? How much better would it be than my 20" iMac (with 2.5 gigs of ram and wimpy 128 graphics card)??

Thanks for any advice!

Chilton
07-14-2006, 10:08 AM
Hi,

If Apple does not release the Woodcrest based Macs at WWDC (Aug 7-11), it will most definitely be released for the Christmas season, or at MacWorld San Francisco. The back-to-school season is too close to WWDC for them to wait for that. Also, Jobs likes to put on shows to intro new hardware, and the WWDC was where the Intel switch was first mentioned. I'd be really, really surprised if he doesn't at least announce it at WWDC.

So I'd suggest waiting one more month, and see what happens at WWDC. As I understand it, early developers who bought the developer machines from Apple were given Pentium based Macs, not Core Duo. The Core Duo was only available when the first started shipping as consumer products.

-Chilton

Chilton
07-14-2006, 10:13 AM
Oh, and it will be exactly 832% more awesomer than whatever Jobs compares it to.

You can go here to compare the speeds of various machines on LW renders...
http://www.blanos.com/benchmark/

byte_fx
07-14-2006, 10:15 PM
While Apple may introduce tower Intel Macs sometime this year don't expect them to be anywhere near top of the line.

Intel doesn't currently have a cpu that beats the 3.6 Xeon and won't have until early 2007 at the best.

http://www.dtek.co.uk/mac_quad.htm has a comparison of quad vs. dual PPc systems.

You can draw your own conclusions as to the comparitive increase you will see.

The original of the above test also had comparisons of LW on some dual 3.6 Xeon boxes.

The quad was faster in LW than all but two of those systems - a top of the line hp workstation (the quad trounced the other hp workstations) and an AMD graphics wotkstation with four of the latest Opterons and marketed toward use in a heavy production environment.

Both cost roughly twice what a quad costs and were, at the most, less than 50 seconds faster.

In fact that test prompted me to switch from my Xeon dualies to a Power Mac.

I was tempted to go with the Quad but - considering decent Intel towers should be here (and past any original build problems) by fall 2007 - not 2006 - I went with a dual core 2.0 Power Mac instead.

It'll serve me well for at least a couple of years - probably longer - while giving me a chance to learn the ins and outs of OS X.

byte_fx