PDA

View Full Version : New to this Forum

davedunn
07-14-2006, 08:31 AM
Hello everyone,

I have been using Lightwave for just over a year. Prior to that I spent over a decade as an active member of the POV-Ray community, both on AOL and over at povray.org. As a recovering hand-coder, I was pleasantly surprised to find that formulas can be entered in any numeric field <g>; I am also interested in looking at L-Script (old habits die hard...sigh). No WIPs to share at this time - still in learning mode, but who knows... Anyway, just thought I'd say howdy.

Dave Dunn

colkai
07-14-2006, 08:47 AM
Howdy doody.
Povray, ahh, memories. :)
I wouldn't worry about lack of Wips, I don't think I've posted one in a very long time. ;)

Welcome aboard! :D

Earl
07-14-2006, 08:54 AM
Welcome to the forums!

davedunn
07-17-2006, 06:15 PM
Colkai and Earl,

Thanks for the welcome. Finally getting past the "Dan Ablan" phase and into my own projects. Pretty much recreating a few of my old POV scenes to get a feel for stuff I already know pretty much how to do. First WIP is a breakfast scene that I may post (Is there a Pathetic Newbies Gallery, I wonder?) if I can ever get that darn fork looking right.

Dave

Bog
07-17-2006, 06:55 PM
Welcome aboard, Dave.

The lovely thing about LightWave is that the tiger you've got by the tail has a throttle - you can just use is Simplex, using the visual feedback cues, or you can go nuts and fold open on the panel structre beneath and hold the thing at a gallop.

We're always here for the new user.

Catch you on the Wave :)

BazC
07-18-2006, 12:56 AM
Welcome aboard Dave!

Kuzey
07-18-2006, 03:00 AM
Welcome aboard...I'm looking forward to those wips!!

:thumbsup:

Kuzey

ThriJ
07-18-2006, 05:07 AM
Hey, I know someone who did a lot of stuff with POV-Ray.

Anyway, welcome to the forum!

davedunn
07-18-2006, 07:21 PM
Not to belabor a point, but one of the reasons I abandoned POV was that the development team abandoned the broader user base in terms of feature requests and general inclusiveness. The forum over there has shrunk to a mean-spirited clique, and a new user would not, in the current atmosphere, have received the warm welcome I got from you folks here at the LW forum. I still think POV-Ray has an amazing renderer, and it's freeware to boot, but overall, I am happier starting over in LW. Thanks again for the early support.

warrenwc
07-18-2006, 11:12 PM
I messed with POV a lot back in the days of CompUServe.
Welcome!
I personally think LW is more fun.:lwicon:

Tiger
07-19-2006, 12:33 AM
Hi Dave!
The thing I like the most about here at NewTek Forums
is that I dont have to dance :D

Welcome!

Brian Arndt
07-19-2006, 08:25 AM
Welcome to the forums davedunn!
Dont let these guys scare ya ;)

Exception
07-19-2006, 08:46 AM
Hello person with fun avatar in the shape of a crab!

Welcome and many years of pleasure are sent your way now though ehm... ups. :)

Looking forward to see what you WIP up.

davedunn
07-21-2006, 10:44 AM
Hello person with fun avatar in the shape of a crab!

Welcome and many years of pleasure are sent your way now though ehm... ups. :)

Looking forward to see what you WIP up.

Actually, it's the Flying Spaghetti Monster. The avatar is just a standin until I can get around to modeling the LW version. More information at: http://www.venganza.org/

Sarford
07-21-2006, 06:47 PM
Welcome aboard mate,

Hope you have as much fun as I do with this new version 9, just looks like a whole new shiny piece of software to me... and boy, do I love new software!

GandB
07-22-2006, 07:08 AM
Welcome to your new home, Dave; glad to have you here.:)

-Keith