PDA

View Full Version : modeler hanging and crashing on start up

KillMe
07-14-2006, 06:04 AM
ok title says most of it - but i will add that when i take the dongle out it starts jsut fine ( in disocvery mode though )

layout works fine

and i have uninstalled both the sentinel drivers and lightwave and reinstalled to no effect

so basically at the moment i cant model anything - this is not good - infact its something of an impending disaster if i dont get ift fixed within afew days

any suggestions welcome

DiedonD
07-14-2006, 06:22 AM
Do state which version is crashing down on you, KillMe?

Cageman
07-14-2006, 06:22 AM
Hmm... have you tried removing all the configfiles? Other than that, I really don't know whats going on. No problems starting Modeler here.

Ive got LW8.3, 8.5 and 9.0, all starts and quits without a hickup...

KillMe
07-14-2006, 06:24 AM
lw 9 latest version though the last beta was doing the same too

i think the problem must be being caused by something else but i have no idea what could be doing it - as the previous beta was working then stopped but i cant think of anything i did that would ahve caused this change

virus scan showed nothing either so i dont knwo what to do - considering a reformat at this stage =/

yeah i got rid of the configs too =/ didn't work

DiedonD
07-14-2006, 06:48 AM
I suggest you go for TechSupport rightaway!
I would hate to hear that even after format you still have the same problem!

KillMe
07-14-2006, 07:02 AM
yeah i guess if the reformat doesn't work thats what i will have to do

IMPERIAL
07-14-2006, 07:20 AM
just thinking,

usualy firewall programs can create such a problem, but then, why its working with the dongle off?

Cageman
07-14-2006, 08:19 AM
The strange thing is that Layout works, but not Modeler... strange endeed...

KillMe
07-14-2006, 08:19 AM
good idea but no avail - just killed the firewall long enought o try and nope still not going

BazC
07-14-2006, 08:25 AM
just thinking,

usualy firewall programs can create such a problem, but then, why its working with the dongle off?

The hub is disabled during Discovery mode (running without dongle) which would support the firewall idea?

WilliamVaughan
07-14-2006, 09:18 AM
It has to do with the Hub and Windows.....I killed the Hub on some of the systmes at School and it works just fine....we are trying to work out why some systems at the school have the issue and some dont..

KillMe
07-14-2006, 10:03 AM
ah haaaaaa your right - it is the hub =/ - had to rename the file to kill it though as it kept restarting itself

JAW
07-14-2006, 10:37 AM
Do you run Nortons anti-vir software by chance? cause if I dont disable mine, both modeler and layout both hang then crash, even in discovery :thumbsdow

-Nortons had me bangiing my head against the wall, since ive found out in trial and error, it doesnt like to play well with others.

KillMe
07-14-2006, 10:56 AM
nope no norton - learnt that lesson quite a while ago =) - problem is defeinatly the hub though - so at least i can model again though i would like the hub to work again - if a solution is ever found

mj3
07-14-2006, 11:09 AM
do you let your config files install to the default <documents and
settings/your name> location?

Pavlov
07-14-2006, 11:36 AM
same here. Just a hub issue, nothing can help BUT disabling hub. Problem is i use HUB massively in my daywork.
So wont use 9 until this is fixed or a workaround is found... cannot be so difficult, it has always worked.

Paolo

Nemoid
07-15-2006, 09:36 AM
It has to do with the Hub and Windows.....I killed the Hub on some of the systmes at School and it works just fine....we are trying to work out why some systems at the school have the issue and some dont..

It could depend from TCP/IP protocol setup in Winzoz ?

Pavlov
07-15-2006, 09:44 AM
maybe. since they're ok for my lan and web connection, i cannot change them unless it's something lan+web compliant.
Since previous releases worked, i cannot understand why this doesnt.
Again, it seems related to plugins... when i open Lw after installation it works. now that i installe dmy plugins, it gives this problem. Notice i did the same in previous RCs and it was ok.

Paolo

Nemoid
07-15-2006, 12:46 PM
so the only solution i see, is to add manually plugin after plugin and see what causes thiis annoying problem.