PDA

View Full Version : How are European Customers supposed to register?

Damian Dowling
07-14-2006, 04:00 AM
The title says it all really. I am going around in circles.

The newtek-europe site directs me to the newtek site, which when I enter the Lightwave 9 Pre-Order serial number directs me to the newtek-europe site. I am sure I am missing something simple here.

Any suggestions?

Regards
Damian

Damian Dowling
07-14-2006, 04:08 AM
got it, I knew it was something simple.

just click on the picture below the "register now" button. It is the one "Lightwave 9 now available click here for more info".

<Edit> That is on the newtek site after you have created an account.

Mattoo
07-14-2006, 10:30 AM
got it, I knew it was something simple.

just click on the picture below the "register now" button. It is the one "Lightwave 9 now available click here for more info".

<Edit> That is on the newtek site after you have created an account.

LOL, that's bloody awful, that's not clear at all!! I was in exactly the same situation. I should have known better playing all the those point-n-click adventures back in the day.... if in doubt, start clicking on every **** thing in site.

Mattoo
07-14-2006, 10:35 AM
oh jesus, this things censoring the word **** now.... I never realised I was so much of a swearer until coming here. :(

Martin Adams
07-14-2006, 11:12 AM
if in doubt, start clicking on every **** thing in site.

Pretty much what I did.

If I recall correctly, this is the general process that I did:

1. Go over to NewTek Europe (http://www.newtek-europe.com) and click this banner:
http://www.newtek-europe.com/uk/banniere/Lw9now150x80.jpg
This takes you here: http://www.newtek-europe.com/uk/products/lightwave/index_lw9.html

2. Click the http://www.newtek-europe.com/images/products/lw9/download.jpg button under "The FREE LightWave v9 electronic upgrade is available" which takes you here:
http://register.newtek.com/

3. Now, I already had an account so I logged in, then you should be able to create one. This is where I can't quite remember the exact process.

4. Select LightWave 3D and click 'Register'.

5. Enter the serial number, in my case, the I believe was the pre-v9 upgrade on the Vue Infinite CD case (10-digits long)

6. When successful, I think you get the chance to enter your dongle ID. But you also get the chance to download everything under the 'my downloads' menu.

7. When you download and install LW9, run the 'Register Lightwave 3D 9' application. This tells you your dongle number.

8. Now, this bit I can't quite remember as I started clicking everything. But there is a page in this account that asks for the dongle number/Lock ID. Enter that and you get your serial number. Try the 'My Products' menu to see if it asks for the details under the LW9 product.

9. Enter the serial number in the registration application and you're good to go.

If you're using Windows, I'd recommend using IE, because Firefox completely crashed on me. Hence how I lost the page asking for the dongle ID after I registered.

Don't bother with the NewTek Europe Online Registration (http://www.newtek-europe.com/register/reg_user.asp) as this didn't have anything to do with LW9 official release for what I could tell.

Good luck...

[Edited to fix my poor grammar and spelling]

Martin Adams
07-14-2006, 11:14 AM
... or read this PDF file (http://newtek-europe.com/pdf/NewRegistrationInstructions.pdf) from this thread (http://www.newtek.com/forums/showthread.php?t=53957) as I just found out.

Would have saved me a bit of typing if I'd seen that sooner...

Aegis
07-14-2006, 01:20 PM
Hmm... when I enter my serial no. it tells me that it has to be registered with Newtek Europe... Ben?? :help:

*Edit* Ah, OK - I got it - geez NewTek - you coulda made it a little more obvious :D

colkai
07-15-2006, 03:29 AM
A 'enter your VUE CD code via this link' is all that is needed on that front page.
The banner stating your download is available is misleading, it's natural to assume you don't follow that particular link when you haven't even entered your code. :)

Thanksfully, the more places this info is spread around, the less confusion others will have.

Kurtis
07-15-2006, 09:00 AM
Unfortunately, what seems perfectly obvious to one person, doesn't necessarily seem obvious to another person. Both a paid product by download and worldwide registration through a single site are new implementations, and we're learning what to do different in the future. Thanks for your patience.

As with anything, there are going to be some people for whom the system won't work without the assistance of Customer Service. For those of you experiencing this, we apologize for the inconvenience, and NewTek Europe will be getting back with you as soon as possible when they return to work on Monday.

colkai
07-15-2006, 10:28 AM
No worries Kurtis, there should be enough occurences of how this is done now, you'd hope everyone had an idea by now.

Mattoo
07-15-2006, 10:33 AM
No worries Kurtis, there should be enough occurences of how this is done now, you'd hope everyone had an idea by now.

You might be surprised how many users aren't really that web-savy. I know a lot of pro's that don't go anywhere near forums and the like.

Kurtis
07-15-2006, 03:58 PM
Agreed. This is why I made the statement about things making sense to one, but not the other. It's always hard at a more experienced level to think of everything those at a lower experience level will run into, especially in a field of computers as advanced as this one. I'd like to think we learn from our experience and get better every time though.

On the same note, it's important to remember that a reatively small portion of our user base participates on the forums period. Yes, there are some who have not been able to get up and running even with all of us participating in the forums from NewTek and those in the community offering the high level of assistance this community has come to be known for. For those that have been held up by the long weekend in Europe, the timing is unfortunate, but I think releasing sooner rather than later was the right call, especially for all those that are up and running, and I have no doubt NewTek Europe will be able to get the rest up and running in short order. Overall, considering all the changes implemented for this release, what our MIS and Customer Service teams have accomplished here has been a great success, and has given them a lot more information to make it even more so in the future.

cresshead
07-15-2006, 05:51 PM
okay got registered and now downloaded lw9...installed..up'd sentinel drivers
...now are we surposed to be runningin discovery mode even though we had a serial number....still waiting for my liecence code to come back...

what happened to the 15 day grace period?

Kurtis
07-15-2006, 05:54 PM
Under normal circumstances, you should receive 14 days. If you were a part of the Open Beta, you have already used this period, and will need to input your permanent license key.

Bytehawk
07-15-2006, 05:58 PM
did you unplug the dongle ?

I got my license code instantly with the new registration procedure. Overall a pretty painless experience.

Martin Adams
07-15-2006, 05:59 PM
....still waiting for my liecence code to come back...

Mine came back instantly with the new registration site. Did you register on the NewTek Europe registration page which requires someone to check the details?

Maybe someone can clarify if the process is now 100% automatic or if there's some manual involvement required by NT.

cresshead
07-15-2006, 06:08 PM
yeah..registered on newtek europe...opps!
but also registered on newtek usa for getting the lw9 download..tis a might confusing just WHERE we should be going....no biggy...will wait for email on monday!...from europe

cresshead
07-15-2006, 06:12 PM
re lw 9 just been playing and 'text layers' in modeler is ACE!

also note hide windows in layout doesn't work with motion mixer panel [tab key short cut]

also still not able to load a image from the image world panel if there's no images already loaded into lightwave...other areas will allow you to load an image in from their respective panels and NOT need you to go to image loader main panel...

i like the render globals panel..makes much more sense to have radiosity etc in that area...and cleans up the light panel as well!

over all pretty good so far!

cresshead
07-15-2006, 06:21 PM
i wasn't on the beta..so something must have happened...interesting...i'd like to hear if others didn't get a 14 day period either...

my dongle IS plugged in and IS being detected as it says so on booting lw9 up...and has a small splash screen with the hardware dongle numer displayed...note i also upgraded the sentinel drivers as requested by the installer on getting lw9 up n running

other than that..things are looking good.

blindsided
07-18-2006, 01:54 PM
no grace period for me either!!

zealott
03-08-2007, 01:09 AM
Hmm... when I enter my serial no. it tells me that it has to be registered with Newtek Europe... Ben?? :help:

*Edit* Ah, OK - I got it - geez NewTek - you coulda made it a little more obvious :D

Hi, I see this thread is a bit old but...
I'm trying to register my VUE/LW 8.5 including 9 upgrade and also get a messages saying that my serial should be registered with newtek-europe. (I live in europe yes :)

I have sent e-mails to [email protected] but have not received any answer yet. Any ideas?

zealott
03-08-2007, 01:19 AM
ah, ok...press the *banner*... =)