PDA

View Full Version : LW 9 content

sudac20
07-13-2006, 11:08 PM
What is up with the lw 9 content download? Most of the sample scenes could be done in lw 7. In years past I felt NT did a great job in supplying bonus content and examples of new features available within the latest release. This “content” is lacking to say the least. I feel as if I am exploring LW 7 all over again:thumbsdow . Show some more examples of what’s new in LW 9.

js33
07-14-2006, 12:58 AM
Perhaps the Content CD will have more up to date examples? Or is the downloadable content the same as what comes on the CD?

Phil
07-14-2006, 01:18 AM
The downloadable content should be the same as that on the CD. I'm a little surprised myself at the content... In particular, I had expected more from Relativity (the content provided for original users of that plugin was substantial and useful) - one scene alone is highly disappointing, given the featureset of this plugin. I would have liked to see the full Relativity content rolled into the package.

Nodal also needs much more content - 5 scenes are not really adequate.

Wickster
07-14-2006, 01:26 AM
As the file name says "Bonus Content." So I'm thinking thats not the full LW9 content that will ship with the media and the box.

mdoyle
07-14-2006, 02:36 AM
I agree I don't think it will be the full amount of content that are on the CD. 130 megs is not a lot of content and considering there were 2 cd's for LW8 I would hope ther ewill be more made available. Am just unsure as to whether order the cd's later for the boxed version

iainbyoung
07-14-2006, 03:09 AM
Some of the content doesn't even work. I loaded a couple of scenes last night (from the cell shading directory, and the tornado example), and the scene files refer to objects that don't seem to be included...

colkai
07-14-2006, 04:12 AM
did you check in explorer to see if the files may have been in a different part of the directory structure and the scene was 'out of date'?
May not help, but it might.

iainbyoung
07-14-2006, 04:29 AM
I did, but only briefly (it was 1am). I will check further tonight when I get home from work.

The tornado example is looking for objects in the personal "documents and settings" folder of the person who made the example. Looks like the example content didn't get much testing before it was released...

Kurtis
07-14-2006, 05:07 AM
The free content included with LightWave is donated by LightWave users, as it has been for previous releases. If you would like to see more content included with future versions of LightWave, please keep an eye out for the calls for content we put out from time to time, and share your creations with the community.

In the future, we will be implementing a new content web site for registered owners of LightWave, that will allow them to access previous content, current content, and new content for free.

iainbyoung
07-14-2006, 05:15 AM
So you don't provide any demonstration materials yourself at all? It is a little frustrating after spending my hard earned pennies, to find that the provided examples don't work (regardless of who created them), and there is nothing to demostrate the new features in action.

Look forward to seeing the new website. Sounds like a good idea :)

starbase1
07-14-2006, 05:30 AM
The free content included with LightWave is donated by LightWave users, as it has been for previous releases. If you would like to see more content included with future versions of LightWave, please keep an eye out for the calls for content we put out from time to time, and share your creations with the community.

In the future, we will be implementing a new content web site for registered owners of LightWave, that will allow them to access previous content, current content, and new content for free.

Now that does sound good.

I think a lot of the most useful stuff is the small stuff anyway - Not had a go with 9 yet, but I was really hoping for well stocked preset shelves this time around. Anyway, let's hope that preset central re-appears in its full glory soon.

I think that some settings would be very handy though, most particularly for new users. What I am getting at is that if you model an object, it's generally not possible to get a decent render until you have a room or outdoor setting to place it in. A few simple but well done 'container' scenes like this would really help the new users get off to a flying start I feel.

Say a simple room and table, a basic outdoors, and a space setting for a minimum...

Nick

Kurtis
07-14-2006, 05:30 AM
So you don't provide any demonstration materials yourself at all? It is a little frustrating after spending my hard earned pennies, to find that the provided examples don't work (regardless of who created them), and there is nothing to demostrate the new features in action.

Look forward to seeing the new website. Sounds like a good idea :)

All of the demo content was tested in advance. If you are having trouble with a certain piece of the content, you want to post to these forums for help, as the content was provided by forum members, or you can contact Technical Support if you are getting error messages in the program.

As to providing materials ourselves, a portion of the content was created for us by William Vaughan, a long-standing LightWave trainer. We've also provided 3 manuals, or about 1400 pages of training material, and 47 demo videos (http://www.newtek.com/lightwave/videos.php) that show new features in action.

As I stated earlier, over time there will be new content posted to the upcoming content site, and we will continue to add training materials to our tutorials section, both by us and by other LightWave users.

Kurtis
07-14-2006, 05:43 AM
You might want to keep an eye on the new Node Library and Workshop (http://www.newtek.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=205) section we've provided in these forums. There are a number of node surface presets provided with the LightWave v9 content, and I believe there are also a number of node presets provided as part of the program installation.

DonJMyers
07-14-2006, 11:36 AM
I donated a hypervoxels scene to the LW 9 bonus collection. Unfortunately there is an unavoidable lag between when newtek requests demo materials and when the product ships. LW 9 was in closed beta when they wanted samples so some of the data was made with LW 8. Now that LW9 is released we'll see a LOT more materials posted on the newtek site. I'm sure by the time LW 9.5 is out the demo CD will be chock full of the best samples.

Kurtis
07-14-2006, 11:41 AM
Ah yes, something I forgot to mention. Thanks for reminding me Don.

I hope to be able to do one or two revisions of the 3rd-Party Sampler/Content DVD during the v9.x cycle. Any new content should be available on the content site I mentioned, and for everything else, the DVD should be available as a convenience upgrade for those who want hard copy and/or changes to the 3rd-party section.

Kurtis
07-14-2006, 01:10 PM
If you are having issues with the content, please make sure first that it's not just a matter of pointing the scene to the appropriate folders for the models, images, etc. With the process of moving files to different machines, zipping, etc., it may have just broken the paths links.

If you make sure the file properties are not read-only, and reassociate the links, then save the objects and scene files, that should fix it.

If you are having issues beyond trying that, please feel free to ask.

ShawnStovall
07-14-2006, 01:15 PM
The FloorTutorial scene is missing(along with the whole ManualExamples folder).

Kurtis
07-14-2006, 01:29 PM
Shawn,

When you say FloorTutorial, are you referring to Parquet.lws?

Where are you being asked for a ManualExamples folder?

ShawnStovall
07-14-2006, 01:41 PM
Manual:LightWave_v9-Surface_and_Render_screen Page: 81 (93 of 542)

(It just makes reference to the ManualExample folder)

wesleym
07-14-2006, 01:42 PM
Yes, I am missing the ManualExamples folder as well.

Kurtis
07-14-2006, 01:54 PM
Ok. So far, these are the specific issues I've been able to verify as something other than just establishing paths.

Scenes/Normal_Maps/LW_ball.lws
Missing image LWlogo_normalmap.png

Scenes/Stick/sticky_pole.lws
Missing object pole_ball.lwo

If you have found a piece of content with which you feel there is an issue, please let me know, and be very specific about file names, locations, and issues, and I will look into it.

Kurtis
07-14-2006, 02:01 PM
Ok. Anything referenced in the manual is a different issue. I will have to look into those on Monday. For this thread, we are speaking about the downloadable content and the items mentioned on the index.html file included with it only.

Kurtis
07-14-2006, 02:35 PM
Ok. One more.

Scenes/Stress/Stress_Pole.lws
Missing plug-in .stressmapChannels

The same person created all three of these scenes. I have contacted him, and I hope to have fixes for you all early next week, as well as the Manual Content.

ShawnStovall
07-14-2006, 08:07 PM
Thanks Kurtis.

inquisitive
07-15-2006, 02:12 AM

an old release of lightwave included a large quantity of fonts, why are those no longer included?

Does anybody remember what version that was? was it 5.6?

Kurtis
07-15-2006, 02:22 AM
Must have been before I came onboard here. I never really paid much attention to the font tools in LightWave until then.

The basic reason we don't include fonts is licensing. Our current policy is to only include content that won't affect the price of the program and is royalty-free. There are so many fonts out there now that there aren't as many people making their own anymore, and those that are are in it to make a living.

colkai
07-15-2006, 03:23 AM
an old release of lightwave included a large quantity of fonts, why are those no longer included?

Does anybody remember what version that was? was it 5.6?
You mean the PSFonts? They are still there.

colkai
07-15-2006, 03:43 AM
By the way, Tornado scene, the requested object is in the content, if you see what the scene is asking for, it is obviously a wrong directory locale.
It can be found in the "AnimateD_Windpath" subdir.

starbase1
07-15-2006, 04:48 AM
I guess you could fill many DVD with free fonts and still not come close to all of them...

A very handy font resource is:
http://www.myfonts.com/WhatTheFont/

Feed it a scanned image, and it will identify the font - very handy for matching those logos for a clueless client!

Kurtis
07-17-2006, 08:20 AM
I am still working on a fix for the one with the missing handler, but here are the files for the two scenes missing files. We will work on a new complete download file today, but for those of you who have already downloaded the content, this should save you some time.

As to the manual content, we have tracked down who wrote that section of the manual and are working to get the content from him now.

Thank you for your patience.

masterchief
07-17-2006, 09:44 AM
Kurtis,

content scene files are looking for objects in file folders that do not exist on my machine... I simply located them for the most part and UPDATED the scene file for my installation. so... the content is NOT set up for generic installation.

additionally, there are missing object and image files...

regards,
Wiliam

Kurtis
07-17-2006, 05:57 PM
Ok. I believe we have everything straightened out now. We will be posting three new downloads tomorrow.

LightWave_v9-Content.zip (129MB) - Full new content download with corrections
LightWave_v9-Content_Addendum.zip (17.6MB) - Corrected files only
LightWave_v9-Maunal_Content.zip (51.9MB) - Content referenced in manuals

The addendum file, when available, should be unzipped over the top of the content folder you already downloaded and allowed to overwrite existing files. If you have a folder called "StressMaps" in your "Objects" folder, please delete it. A new folder named "Stress" will be written to replace it. This should correct all files problems were reported in.

I cannot guarantee what time they will be posted, but I will come back and post a notification in this thread when they are.

Thank you for your patience.

Earl
07-17-2006, 09:37 PM
Kurtis,

Will the Addendum file be needed for anyone who installs LW from the first batch of DVDs?

Kurtis
07-18-2006, 06:36 AM
Yes. The DVDs have already been duplicated and are in-house. This has actually allowed us the opportunity to replace a small amount of the content with newer more robust versions though.

Thor Simpson
07-20-2006, 09:11 AM
Not sure who else has been looking for this, but it appers the new content file is up now (full version)

Kurtis
07-20-2006, 10:33 AM
Yes. The updated full download is posted. I was holding off on the announcement until we posted the addendum and manual content. We're working on some server issues that have delayed them, but should have them up later today or tomorrow.

devin
07-20-2006, 12:14 PM
Thanks Kurtis (and team) for taking an interest in the issues and addressing them so quickly.

papou
07-20-2006, 05:33 PM
I confirm that several scenes have wrong content directory path.
i mean you have to get sources manually.
Contact Technical support for that, is not necessary and surelly unwanted. :P
just resaved that with the new appropriate content directory...

PS: Wha!! forget me, Kurtis.
haven't read all pages.

Nice to see you have corrected all that quickly.

Kurtis
07-22-2006, 04:24 AM
Well, it took a little longer than we had hoped, but all 3 content files are now available for download.

If you downloaded the full content file before Wednesday, the addendum file should be unzipped over the top of the content folder you already downloaded and allowed to overwrite existing files. If you have a folder called "StressMaps" in your "Objects" folder, please delete it. A new folder named "Stress" will be written to replace it. This should correct all files problems were reported in.

Jackal5
07-22-2006, 05:22 AM
Hey guys,

I've been out of the loop for a bit. I have the Vue/LW bundle that was eligible for the LW9 update. How do I get it? Download or will there be a disc? Is it the "LightWave v9 Convenience Upgrade with PDF Manual"?

Thanks.

Jackal5
07-22-2006, 06:25 AM
I found everything when I logged into the NT site. I downloaded the contents zip too. I shouldn't need to do the addendum at this point, right?

inquisitive
07-22-2006, 12:58 PM
Well, it took a little longer than we had hoped, but all 3 content files are now available for download.

If you downloaded the full content file before Wednesday, the addendum file should be unzipped over the top of the content folder you already downloaded and allowed to overwrite existing files. If you have a folder called "StressMaps" in your "Objects" folder, please delete it. A new folder named "Stress" will be written to replace it. This should correct all files problems were reported in.

Please update the date of the files if they are different, makes it confusing now and later when one needs to redownload due to not locating the cd/dvd.

ie. If this is a new file, please update the date from original to recent. Maybe even changing the name of the file to include the date so those that do not read the forum often can tell these apart from the ones they already downloaded - suggestion.

inquisitive
07-22-2006, 01:07 PM

Thank you for the update as well.

Exception
07-24-2006, 01:25 AM
Can we like, reorganise the content?
It is impossible to find anything usefull... I mean, when I am looking for a plant or a car or a robot, where do I go to find them? The sample scenes for now are only useful to just kinda load up and go.. ah... funky... but that's it... it would be far more useful if it was a library style thing with catlogued objects scenes presets and so on...

no?

Kurtis
07-25-2006, 10:50 AM
Please update the date of the files if they are different, makes it confusing now and later when one needs to redownload due to not locating the cd/dvd.

ie. If this is a new file, please update the date from original to recent. Maybe even changing the name of the file to include the date so those that do not read the forum often can tell these apart from the ones they already downloaded - suggestion.

Not sure what happened there. It had been dated 07-19-06. Fixed now. Thanks for pointing that out.

Kurtis
07-25-2006, 10:54 AM
Can we like, reorganise the content?
It is impossible to find anything usefull... I mean, when I am looking for a plant or a car or a robot, where do I go to find them? The sample scenes for now are only useful to just kinda load up and go.. ah... funky... but that's it... it would be far more useful if it was a library style thing with catlogued objects scenes presets and so on...

no?

Thanks for your comments, but we had similar complaints when it was organized the way you suggested. It's a glass half empty type siuation no matter how we do it. The content folders will stay organized by file type and then by scene. If you'd like to get an idea of the files in each scene, please refer to the screen captures on the index.html file.

carrot999
05-08-2007, 04:45 PM

Hi Kurtis, these files were not attachments on this thread that i could see. Is there a specific download place i need to go to get them?

Cheers, Lisa

Kurtis
05-08-2007, 06:14 PM
Login to your product registration account at http://register.newtek.com and look under "LightWave v9.2 and LightWave v9.2 Trial Edition Downloads" on the "My Downloads" page.

carrot999
05-08-2007, 06:27 PM
Great, got it! thanks very much for your help :)