PDA

View Full Version : Video Toasters as rare as good weather in UK!

JonnyGritt
06-03-2003, 08:45 AM
Now I've decided to jump in and get a VT, it seems that the dealer network is pretty rare and largely unhelpful in the UK. There doesn't appear to be many (any?) dealers that sell the product and have convinced me that they know what they are talking about! The most common reaction seems to be 'surprise' followed by "let me look at the price list".

I'm already a LightWave user so I don't need LW, but I would quite like DFX+.

It frustrates me further to know about the 'show special' upgrade to LW 8 with DFX+ that you get over the pond!

Anyone got any suggestions to what’s available and any good experiences with UK dealers? I'd even consider buying a PAL VT from the US if the cost was the same, as the support seems to be much much better.

Aegis
06-03-2003, 09:20 AM
Something that really bugs me is that most of the supposed VT[2] dealers on the NewTek Europe website have no mention of the 'Toaster on their own sites. www.onevideo.net seem to have a fairly slick online presence (although they're still advertising 'Toaster offers that expired in March... On the bright side though - if you buy a VT[2] now you'll get 3 for... well... free :D

What's killing me is this BetaForce gig - eveyone's keeping schtum about whether there'll be a UK/Europe VT[3] BetaForce programme - I wanna get my VT[3] & LW[8]... [!]
:D

kleima
06-03-2003, 10:44 AM
There is no "PAL" Toaster. ALL Toasters are both NTSC AND PAL!! :cool:

Aegis
06-03-2003, 11:05 AM
Well I'm not sure about now, but when I bought my Video Toaster NT you had to buy a "Dual Standard" VT 'cause the US one was NTSC only (The duals cost a bit more...)

JonnyGritt
06-03-2003, 11:07 AM
Unfortunately OneVideo’s website has the wrong details on also.
Makes me wonder why we can't get this product right in the UK. Most people just aren't interested in it. Everything seems to revolve around mass market Matrox, Canopus an Pinnacle products all of which do consumer, semi and professional products.

Paul, what do you think about this situation?

kleima
06-03-2003, 01:26 PM
Buying the PAL version for more was the case originally with the T[1], but that is no longer the case. All T[2]'s are now dual standard, PAL & NTSC. :) Enjoy! (BTW, PAL and NTSC clips can be mixed in the timeline and all will play back in real-time!! You can also use the Toaster as a standards converter by putting all PAL clips in the timeline, for instance, and then outputting to NTSC, or vice versa.)

chribba
06-03-2003, 02:42 PM
I know there are people in London that are betatesting VT[3]...;) Have just been on a demo of VT[3] with a man from UK.....

JonnyGritt
06-04-2003, 03:03 AM
Waaaahey - Chuck just replied - and there is a god!

Check out http://www.newtek.com/news/releases/06-03-03a.html - we can all get the LW & DFX+ upgrade - for this month anyway. Fewer modules than the VT package, but still a great freebie never the less. Good on ya Newtek.

Chribba who demo'd VT3 for you in London btw?

Wouldn't it be great if SafeHarbor or one of the other pro Toaster companies opened a branch in the UK to support Europe? An initiative that I'm sure Newtek would support ;-)

chribba
06-04-2003, 02:57 PM
Let me get back to u who it was.....the demo was in sweden but the man that had the demo was from London, and was betatester for VT3. I just forgot the name...have to ask a friend.

brb
:)

Aegis
06-05-2003, 07:47 AM
It wouldn't have been Andy Bishop by any chance would it?

ise
06-14-2003, 02:30 PM
At my workplace we have been Using our VT2 for about 9 months. We purchased it from Onevideo (mentioned earlier in the thread). Their service and support have been excellent, and I would recomend them to anyone in the UK thinking of buying a Toaster.. Hopefully we will continue to use them as we upgrade our VT.

Ian

JonnyGritt
06-16-2003, 03:30 AM
Hasn't OneVideos Toaster guy left? Are you still in touch with them? I'd like to buy from a company via recommendation and if your experience is good then that helps me.

Thanks,

John

ise
06-16-2003, 08:43 AM
My Initial contact at Onevideo, Stewart has left, but their technical guy Simeon (who built our Toaster system) is, as far as I know still working for them and I spoke to him about four weeks ago. We have needed very little tech support, but when we have Simeons been excellent. If you are realy worried about dealer support drop an email to Newtek Europe (Ben Vost possibly) and get their opinion.

Aegis
06-17-2003, 03:15 AM
Gotta give credit where it's due - Symeon at OneVideo.net has been great - I only recently got my 'Toaster [2] up 'n running and have been deluging him with questions, most of which he's been able to answer straight away.

I've just ordered my LightWave 7.5 / DFX+ / LW8 upgrade from OneVideo based purely on their tech support & and I'll most certainly use them to upgrade to T[3] when it's available.

(T) 3 Cheers! :)

chribba
06-17-2003, 05:45 AM
Yes it was Andy Bishop that help the demo in Sweden.

Chribba

JonnyGritt
06-20-2003, 08:58 AM
Thanks for your help Guys. It’s so good to here of half decent VT support in the UK.

I got a VT2 demo with Andy Bishop when he was helping out another company at last years Production Show. He was so enthusiastic about the product, if he had been a sales guy I think I would have ended up re-mortgaging to get one!

The Toaster could do with a few more followers on this side of the pond. It’s a great product, but I think it's ‘seen’ as far too niche for serious interest. Even though we all know its not!

John.

vanguard
06-23-2003, 08:14 AM
While I am not in a position to comment on the status of the VT in the UK, I can comment on the weather.

In all my time in the UK (a coupla years...) I cannot say that I have ever seen a raindrop strike the earth.

I have seen them hit the sides of buildings, cars, people, and objects only to run down them onto the ground.

I expect that if the UK were smooth with nothing to catch the rain, it would in fact, be a desert.

So thats my .02

Cheers

madgitty
07-01-2003, 06:42 PM
I have just bought a system from IMaginary Graphics, and it rocks, great service and great machine, the guy used to work for techex/onevideo and do all thier training and demos, theres not much he does not know, guy's name is Simon and IMG's number is 01344-449694

Eirkey1
07-02-2003, 04:10 AM
As someone who has been around the Lightwave/Toaster Scene for about 7 years now in the UK.

There is plenty of Support for the Lightwave and the Toaster in the UK, but it is a case of who you know.

Andy Bishop was the original importor of Lightwave into the UK when he was at AMG FX and now runs his own Animation Company called Darkside Animations.

The Toaster is the best kept secret in the UK.

if the right piece of Hardware it flies, its AuraVT is faster than After effects or any other NLE i've ever used, and I've been round Multimedia and broadcast editing for about 10 years.

The trouble with the UK is that most companies are just box shifters with no technical knowhow or market exprience.
In general these guys are only selling a box and will only want to shift brand names and like any other salesperson they this their 5% knowledge of a field makes them an expert.

I have always dealt with people who use the tools themselves,like Andy and after he left AMG went on to deal with One Video who have always been first class.

The more people that use the Toaster in the UK the better 'cause then we can start up the sort of user group that makes lightwave and the Toaster Rock in the US

madgitty
07-02-2003, 04:23 AM
Try IMG, they have been great, the support is outstanding and he was the guy who would train everyone in the UK including the dealers and works with Andy as well. Used to work for One video and did most of their tech support and demos.

Eirkey1
07-02-2003, 05:32 AM
Is Simon the Guy that used to work at AMG FX with Andy Bishop?
I

madgitty
07-02-2003, 10:21 AM
No that would be Simon Percy, Simon Hedges is the guy at IMG.

Aegis
07-02-2003, 04:00 PM
I used to tech-support LightWave (as did many of the animators) when I worked at AMG FX - We had pretty close ties with NewTek at that time - we were LightWave beta-testers, we had Aura when it was TVPaint Animation and even a Frame Factory (the VT "prototype").

It was a pretty cool place to work - Simon Percy has the most encyclopedic knowledge of any LightWave user I've ever met (including me :D) - the only downside was that the studio was used like a showroom - we'd be hip-deep in projects and have to drop everything to give prospective LightWave/Aura/VT purchasers demos - not an issue unless you'd been at your desk for three days straight and sleeping in your chair (which happened quite a bit)...

Sadly AMG FX was saddled with a large amount of debt inherited from the parent AMG (Advanced Media Group) company. AMG went down the toilet and Andy managed to convince the group to keep 'FX running as a separate concern - the millions that AMG owed the group crippled the company though leading to its eventual collapse. Several of the animators (myself included) left and the few that stayed on saw the company reborn sans the NewTek sales as "The Hive".

Darkside is run by Andy Bishop and Simon Percy along with Bob Twitcher (and last I heard Nick Webber was freelancing there) and they're still carrying on the AMG tradition of innovative and cost-effective 3D graphics work.

Andy still helps NewTek out as a VT evangelist but I don't think he's involved in the sales side any more.

Eirkey1
07-03-2003, 02:07 AM
Andrew,

Thanks for the news, its good to know where every one went to.

Richard Bailey
09-11-2003, 02:09 PM
Hi guys !

Cheers for all of the support for OneVideo!

Im now running the site along with Sym of course.

I thought I ought 2 take this opportunity to say that things have changed for the better and we are now completely up2date (Including VT3)!!

If u like us keep shouting ;)

Ps – Hi Simon

Rich

09-12-2003, 06:58 AM
Yes it is true to say Stewart in sale's has left onevideo !
But i'm still here working hard to try to answer any & all newtek questions.
As for the points about our website having out of date offers etc, that was down to a serious database problem we were having, all should be fixed now !!!
Any other bugs or poor information on the site please send an e-mail to me [email protected] or place a note on our forum http://www.onevideo.co.uk/forum !!

It is true to say its very hard to get good help in the UK when it comes to Newtek products, but i do pride my self on getting a honest, quick as posible answer to any question that is asked regarding onevideo's product range.
After all i do have to live up to the 30 year history that onevideos parent company has.

Symeon @ Onevideo