PDA

View Full Version : LWCad, impressions

connerh
07-13-2006, 06:42 PM
So, what does everyone (well... everyone who got the upgrade) think so far of LWCad 2.0? I love it, personally. The only issue I have thus far is that sometimes I get some quirkiness in the snap tools (like, it seems to toss the grid off slightly and won't line up with my initial point, but I can usually get it sorted). Here's a little 10 minute model, no textures (other than some AO). Honestly... it's incredible. Those who haven't purchased the upgrade, do so. To everybody who has: post your learning curve doodles!

lots
07-13-2006, 11:14 PM
I recently upgraded to LWCAD2 and have been very impressed with the tools that it brings. I can see some definate places to make use of it (your example being one of them)

I may post some pics once I get some time to seriously sit down and fiddle.

I do have to ask though, have you had any problems importing dxf files via LWCAD? I seem to crash modeler every time i load a dxf file through LWCAD... Of course, it is a DXF file from an older version of ACAD.. so something could be up with that... I'll have to check what version dxf this is...

colkai
07-14-2006, 03:45 AM
Missing the polygin tool from LWcad1.5 - but apart from that, very powerful, well worth the upgrade.

gjjackson
07-14-2006, 06:22 AM
You could've left the original LWCad there and still use it.

colkai
07-14-2006, 07:06 AM
hehe, actually, I did, just wondered why they chose to leave it out of LWCad2 :)

Bliz
07-14-2006, 08:43 AM
Connerh - That looks very interesting. I haven't upgraded to LWcad2. Can the model you've done be done in LWcad1.5? i.e. what's the big functionality that v2 brings to the table?

connerh
07-14-2006, 10:19 AM
Well, the big thing about 2.0 is that it's completely interactive. The realtime drill/booleons are incredible time savers, and things like the pattern drill, engraver, and profiler are also great time savers. I can't remember all of the functionality in 1.5 as I didn't do all that much work with it when I first downloaded it.

Lewis
07-14-2006, 10:36 AM
Engraver and Profiler are in 1.5 also :).

KillMe
07-14-2006, 10:39 AM
yeah the interactivity of lwcad2 looks cool but i'm not sure its worth it if you have lwcad 1.5 - i wanna see what you can do with it you cant do with 1.5 then descide if its worth upgrading or not

Penforhire
07-14-2006, 10:56 AM
LWCAD2's snap functions are pretty impressive. Projected snaps make me all warm and fuzzy inside!

aidanodr
07-14-2006, 11:18 AM
In a Word - LWCAD 2 is the Dogs ********. You get the idea. This alone enhances LW through the roof. Best $90 upgrade I have spent on any thing.

Love it and highly recommend it,

Cheers
Aidan
Carrigaline, Co. Cork, IRELAND

Celshader
07-14-2006, 11:23 AM
yeah the interactivity of lwcad2 looks cool but i'm not sure its worth it if you have lwcad 1.5 - i wanna see what you can do with it you cant do with 1.5 then descide if its worth upgrading or not

For what it's worth, watch these demo videos:
http://www.wtools3d.com/index.php?p=3&content=online_help

...and the videos of the mansion tutorial:
http://www.wtools3d.com/index.php?p=4&content=tutorials

The realtime stuff looks convenient. :)

creativecontrol
07-14-2006, 11:57 AM
Has anyone tried the fillet tool? Does it have a real 3D fillet feature?

UnCommonGrafx
07-14-2006, 12:02 PM
Nurb curves.
Booleans that leave clean geometry.

For building ANYTHING, lwcad2 will make the task faster.

(Why do we get on here and leave messages as though we are 'paid spokespeople'? Because we want the joy we feel to be felt by our fellow 'wavers.)

JBT27
07-14-2006, 02:11 PM
I'd really like the curve knife back - being able to set a width and then slicing through a CAD plan is great....not quite so straightforward in 2.0 - you can slice, but then you have to Trim the curves you don't want. Little bit of a backward step perhaps.

Julian.

GregMalick
07-14-2006, 03:06 PM
It is very impressive. :)

One thing I would love to see (you'll think I'm crazy - or lazy - for sure) is that when you boolean a wall - it automatically bridges the poly's. That would feel so natural in the workflow. :D