PDA

View Full Version : Who's coming to SIGGRAPH this year, then?

Bog
07-13-2006, 05:28 PM
*raises hand*

What-ho!

Kurtis
07-13-2006, 06:02 PM
I can tell you that from NewTek, you'll see:

Kurtis Harris (me :D )
Marvin Miller
Deuce Bennett
William "Proton" Vaughan
Ben Vost
Graham Toms
Andy Bishop
Philip Nelson
Paul Lara
Oz Holten
Shay Johnson
Irene King
Donetta Colboch

There will be a few more, but you may not recognize the names.

Bog
07-13-2006, 06:30 PM
Anyone who met me last time at SIGGRAPH '97 won't recognise me, 'cause I won't have long hair, won't have a beard, and will have a gut that could airbag a speeding Lexus. I'll have the same idiot grin, mind ;) It'll be very good to see you lot, mind! Is Andy Bish officially NewTek rather than DarkSide these days, or is he a two-hatter?

BazC
07-14-2006, 01:07 AM
Woah Bog! You're going all the way to Siggraph!? Good on ya mate, have a great time! :D

klanderud
07-14-2006, 11:31 AM
I will be heading to Siggraph as well.
I look the same just a little fatter each year 8/
I will hopefully be at the Newtek and the Boxx party :beerchug:
provided they don't fall on the same dates and if they fall on the exhibit days.

ShawnStovall
07-14-2006, 12:34 PM
Could someone video tape it for me?:cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :( :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:

Kurtis
07-14-2006, 12:38 PM
Since we have several new products to talk about, unlike previous years, this year's SIGGRAPH presentation will be straight demos. We will be recording one of each demo and posting them to the site after the show.

We will also have people taking pictures at tomorrow's event and both SIGGRAPH parties. We will get those posted to the site as soon as we can after we get back.

colkai
07-15-2006, 03:30 AM
Party hard Bog me ole China. :p

..And good luck! ;) :D

pnelson
07-15-2006, 10:28 PM
See you guys there!

dablan
07-16-2006, 09:34 AM
I'll see you there as well!

ShawnStovall
07-16-2006, 12:24 PM
Anyone willing to carpool from Michigan?:D :tongue:

Bog
07-17-2006, 09:40 AM
I love it when the postie comes :)

http://www.flickr.com/photos/bogster/191608678/

Rich
07-17-2006, 01:43 PM
Like I said in another thread this will be my first time to Siggraph so I am very much looking forward to it. :thumbsup: Is Newtek throwing any parties for attendees?

Kurtis
07-17-2006, 07:49 PM
There will be some NewTek sponsored events. We will be announcing the details in the next day or two.

Auger
07-20-2006, 07:30 PM
Just registered! :beerchug: This will be my first Siggraph.

Bog, I saw in another thread that you are looking to find a job at Siggy. That's my main reason for going, too. Well... OK it's for the parties, but I had to tell the wife something. :devil:

Hope to meet some or all of you there.

Jon

pnelson
07-20-2006, 07:47 PM
Wouldn't be cool if NewTek sponsored a Pie eating contest?

Rock on! Proton would win!

Auger
07-20-2006, 07:53 PM
Wouldn't be cool if NewTek sponsored a Pie eating contest?

Rock on! Proton would win!

Not if it was blueberry...

Mmmm pie...

Tzan
07-21-2006, 09:55 AM
I just signed up.
Since I live just 30 min. south of Boston and you made it free, how could I say no. :)

Oh, and I just bought a blueberry pie yesterday while shopping and I'm eating some right now :)

kevman3d
07-21-2006, 10:28 PM
I would love to be there - if it wasn't going to cost thousands of dollars to get there for a few days from the other side of the planet, that is. Next year its in San Diego which I hear expects to see a lot more people going, so I think I'll start saving now - My wife is dying to check out the Zoo there! lol!

Hope people enjoy the show! I went back in 2004 (conveniently on the way home from a holiday) and it was a blast!

Stooch
07-23-2006, 11:40 AM
I shall be there.

p.s. why are there so many websites dedicated to cream pie?

and who is cathy?

ShawnStovall
07-23-2006, 02:49 PM
People LOVE pie.

And as for Cathy my moms name is Kathy.

wp_capozzi
07-24-2006, 12:28 PM
Is Newtek having a party or event at Siggraph this year?

Regards,
Bill C.
Dedicated Digital

BloodQuest
07-24-2006, 12:46 PM
Is Andy Bish officially NewTek rather than DarkSide these days, or is he a two-hatter?

He's darkside. NewTek only have to suffer him a few days a year - we're not so fortunate! :)

Philip - will you still be bald?

Bog
07-25-2006, 05:12 AM
Is Newtek having a party or event at Siggraph this year?

Kurtis says as much on the previous page. There will be NewTek partyage.

Raaah!

BeeVee
07-25-2006, 05:20 AM
As Kurtis says, double partyage!

B

colkai
07-25-2006, 05:36 AM
...Sulks, just checked, STILL not won the lottery so no partyage for me :cry: :cry:

:p

Bog
07-25-2006, 08:00 AM
With the booze, and the dancing girls, and Fonzie jumping a shark on water-skis and BeeVee's fire-eating and the more dancing girls and the snakes on a £$*&^R£(£ing plane....

JVitale
07-26-2006, 11:11 PM
I will be there, though I've just checked weather conditions for the week and......IT'S GONNA RAIN THE ENTIRE TIME WE'RE THERE!!!! AAAAAGH!....
This is my first time in Boston and in the East Coast...For those of you who live in Boston...When it rains in the summer, is it a warm rain or cold rain?...When it rains in So Cal it is always cold....so much for my walking tour, but I'll make the most of it...

Stooch
07-27-2006, 06:36 AM
feels like monkeys pissing on you from the trees of the amazon delta.

Tzan
07-27-2006, 09:19 AM
I dont think I would have put it that way :)

Its been very hot lately so I would expect any rain to be warmish.

BeeVee
07-27-2006, 11:16 AM
Woohoo! Excellent, see you there Jessica, but be optimistic. Weather forecasts past two days are incredibly unreliable.

B

Bog
07-27-2006, 01:16 PM
Yeah. We may have locusts!

I've just realised that the moths have had the lining out of my brownish-coloured coat :( It's going to have to be a black one.

Bog
07-29-2006, 10:03 AM
It is a glorious day here in downtown Boston, with temperatures in the low 30s (celcius, dunno about your funny numbers), I've been playing "Spot the Animator" in the Boston Marriot's foyer, and it turns out that SIGGRAPH's Sandbox Gaming Thing is here.

There are Katamari, Halo and Guitar Hero 2 tourneys on Thursday.

I've got broadband, my mobile animation station on my (sumptuous, coffee-maker equipped) desk, and had a Decent Size Breakfast.

I'm in heaven, and the conference hasn't even started yet :D

dablan
07-29-2006, 10:04 AM
Awesome. See you there on Monday!

BeeVee
07-30-2006, 05:19 AM
I'm here too now and I just love the contrast with LA:

* Green stuff growing without needing to be watered 24/7
* People actually walking!
* The architecture
* The fact that once you're over Canada, you're nearly at journey's end rather than only being halfway...

I'm sure there's more but first impressions, you know.

B

Bog
08-02-2006, 07:51 AM
Totally failed to meet Dan at the party last night - bummer, I owe him beer for all those Inside LW books... ;)

Cracking time, though! And two days to go. (Including this one)

pnelson
08-02-2006, 08:06 AM
Awesome party last night!! It was great hanging out and meeting everyone!

I hope to see you guys at the F-1 racing party tonight!

Bog
08-03-2006, 08:10 PM
Best. Gorramn. SIGGRAPH. EV-AR.

HUGE props to Donetta for being the Queen of Party Planning, and to the whole NewTek crew for making it, frankly, utterly brilliant. A more friendly, knowledgable and helpful bunch you could never hope to meet. I love you guys - you are, frankly, the absolute best. Also manic party animals.

Who was that bloke who looked just like Matthew McConahey anyway?

And I'd have said that even if I hadn't won a full copy of Speed Edit! I can't wait to get my hands on it. Dribble.

Astounding. It's gonna take a month for my feet to even reach the floor.

colkai
08-04-2006, 02:47 AM
Never mind all the gushing praise old bean, did it pan out for you? THAT is the big question. ;) :)

dablan
08-04-2006, 09:32 AM
Best. Gorramn. SIGGRAPH. EV-AR.

Who was that bloke who looked just like Matthew McConahey anyway?

That would be NewTek's own Philip Nelson.

Bog
08-05-2006, 03:00 PM
Never mind all the gushing praise old bean, did it pan out for you? THAT is the big question.

In many ways. I flubbed it a teeny bit by not including a shot-breakdown with the first two reels I dropped (Weta and Dreamworks), but a nice lady called Barbara at the Rhythm and Hues stand was checklisting me on things when I tried to drop with them (they worked on Serenity, of course they were an early visit!) and so I scampered back to the hotel and enumerated quite what a short time I had to work on each clip ;) - as does everyone else who got a reel. TBH, I'd far rather work with someone like R&H or Digital Domain who use LightWave in-house, because I keep giving Maya and XSI a quick play-with, and just prefer LW, the same way I like dark-coloured shirts with collars more than I like T-shirts. It just suits me better :) Just a shame Zoic didn't have a booth there.

So at the very least, I've got a tolerably strong set of material out there with people - given the short timescales I've had to work to these last few years.

But quite aside from anything else was the simple fact that at SIG, I felt like I belonged. I was among peers, and even better among people who knew scads more than I do. There was a real sense of Belonging, wandering through the Sketches and the Guerilla Studio, spending time with the various booth-holders, talking about the projects they've worked on and swapping observations, and even being sat in my hotel bar and ending up having an involved conversation about gait-changes depending on moods.

It was really proper. Hard work, for sure! I was working the floor, then networking and stuff for a lot of time, but I also got to spend time with really good fun folk, and just kicking bag, glugging some beers and being a bit darft.

Also, to my unending surprise, I won a copy of Speed Edit, so I shall be putting on black jim-jams, building a pyre in my backyard, putting the Jedi March on slow and loud and ritually incinerating my copy of Premiere Pro. ;)

pnelson
08-05-2006, 03:03 PM
Glad you won SpeedEDIT! Couldn't have happend to a nicer guy!

It was great meeting you!

Bog
08-05-2006, 04:55 PM
Cheers, Phil! I'll stop foaming at the mouth any day now.

Yup. Any day. Soon, now.

Yup.

*froth*

wp_capozzi
08-08-2006, 05:25 PM
Just wanted to say thanks to everyone at Newtek for the great parties at the aquarium and F1. It was a lot of fun, and great to see everyone. Certainly a good Siggraph convention this year. I'm home from Boston safe and sound with good memories and new inspiration.

Best regards,
Bill C.
Dedicated Digital