PDA

View Full Version : Any major probs with Catmull_clark

adrencg
07-13-2006, 03:35 PM
I wanted to switch over to CClark SubD and add some details to a character I'm working on. Will it screw me later when I try to animate it later, with maybe bone deformation or other things like texturing and weight mapping?

Switching over to 9 tonite. Very excited.:)

ericsmith
07-13-2006, 04:17 PM
A couple of things you should know.

1. If you plan to use weight maps, make sure that you set the value of the map for all appropriate polys to 0% (instead of blank) first, then create the weight map values you want. CC doesn't like to blend from a value to none accross a mesh.

2. The one gotcha about CC for me is that when editing in modeler, you can't grab the isoparms like you can in subpatch mode. I've gotten so used to this that it's almost a deal breaker for me. It's funny, because we didn't have this ability until 7.5 I believe, but I can't imagine how I survived without it now. The good news is that we will likely see this addressed soon in a point upgrade.

3. This isn't so much an issue, but something that may confuse some. Edge weighting in CC isn't done the way you're used to, using Subpatch weight. There's a new tool called Set Sharpness that sharpens selected edges. It's also important to note that CCs can only do edge weighting, not point weighting.

Eric

-FP-
07-13-2006, 04:48 PM
Dumb question from a 7.5 user:

The CC sub-Ds - how are they better than the previously available sub-Ds, as implememted in Lightwave 9?

Earl
07-13-2006, 04:57 PM
Dumb question from a 7.5 user:

The CC sub-Ds - how are they better than the previously available sub-Ds, as implememted in Lightwave 9?
CC sub-Ds use a different smoothing algorithm, which produces nicer meshes in many instances. They also support polygons with more than 4 sides, which is not possible with LW's native subpatch.

DogBoy
07-13-2006, 05:08 PM
They also support polygons with more than 4 sides, which is not possible with LW's native subpatch.

Though using 4pointed CCs is usually best, as you will notice a bigger slow down wi' ngons at the moment.

lots
07-13-2006, 11:18 PM
Additionally, 4sided polys are ideal for character animation anyhow...

Now, if you're modeling some hard body type object (car) you can use as many ngons as you like, since there will (usually) be no deformations.

Now, you could use CC Subds to get the rough layout of the mesh, and then work the flow down to just 4sided polys and switch to the old subd method (which is faster...) for animation.

hrgiger
07-14-2006, 03:25 AM
Additionally, 4sided polys are ideal for character animation anyhow...

A common misconception.

Ngons are perfectly fine for character animation, you just have to be aware of your placement. There are many places on a character that will probably never be deformed where you can use Ngons to reduce mesh density from high to low. The back, sides and top of the head, the ears, the nose, teeth, gums (which are barely visible anyway), the top of the foot, certain parts of the limbs, etc...

lots
07-14-2006, 09:57 AM
Good point, but it still stands that quads tend to deform in a more predicatble way, and are thus better suited for the areas where your mesh needs to deform.

lilrayray77
07-14-2006, 11:22 AM
I have experienced so wierd things with CC. I would reccomend you use 3-4 side polys when ever you can.

ShawnStovall
07-14-2006, 11:24 AM
I have experienced so wierd things with CC. I would reccomend you use 3-4 side polys when ever you can.

:agree:

jbarker
07-15-2006, 08:44 AM
A couple of things you should know.

1. If you plan to use weight maps, make sure that you set the value of the map for all appropriate polys to 0% (instead of blank) first, then create the weight map values you want. CC doesn't like to blend from a value to none accross a mesh.

2. The one gotcha about CC for me is that when editing in modeler, you can't grab the isoparms like you can in subpatch mode. I've gotten so used to this that it's almost a deal breaker for me. It's funny, because we didn't have this ability until 7.5 I believe, but I can't imagine how I survived without it now. The good news is that we will likely see this addressed soon in a point upgrade.

3. This isn't so much an issue, but something that may confuse some. Edge weighting in CC isn't done the way you're used to, using Subpatch weight. There's a new tool called Set Sharpness that sharpens selected edges. It's also important to note that CCs can only do edge weighting, not point weighting.

Eric

I'll be %$#^% if I didn't read this thread on 2 different occassions then post a new thread asking this question that I had read the answer to - twice.

I think I'll insert a good ol' fashioned Homer Simpson "D'OH!!!" now.