PDA

View Full Version : New LightWave v9 Website

Earl
07-13-2006, 12:27 PM
For the most part I think the new LightWave v9 website design looks much better than what was up before. This new one is cleaner (easier to read the different sections).

Before I continue reviewing the new site I wanted to note the following: I strongly suggest making the LightWave v9 specific menu (the one that's totally black) as the main menu at the top (or if you can't replace the main NewTek menu with the LW menu, then at least move it up there beneath the NewTek menu). It just gets lost in the center of the page.

Pavlov
07-13-2006, 04:00 PM
nice but please remove that concrete BG.
Let 9 look professional, not a toy, on the whole line.

Paolo

Signal to Noise
07-13-2006, 04:05 PM
I think NewTek should put on a "Design Our LightWave Frontpage" contest for registered users.

Thor Simpson
07-13-2006, 04:39 PM
I think NewTek should keep their current layout and registered users should start using the software. :lol:

Brian Arndt
07-13-2006, 04:46 PM
This theme fits with the box and new look put out by marketing
I think it is easier to navigate and read than the previous.

Earl
07-13-2006, 04:49 PM
I agree Brian, and I think the design is pretty good (and the packaging looks uber slick). Nice work! :thumbsup:

I do have some suggestions, which I will post when I get them together.

Kurtis
07-13-2006, 05:33 PM
I'd like to acknowledge the large amount of work this took by our Webmaster, Brian Arndt.

Thanks, Brian.

Earl
07-13-2006, 05:54 PM
I bet! I was going through the whole site thinking to myself "this must have taken forever to change all the formatting, colors and graphics."

Oh, and the banner ad for v9 looks looks terrific!! I really hope it gets aired on CGTalk and the other various sites you advertise on.

http://www.agoracle.com/files/lw9bannerad.jpg

Weepul
07-13-2006, 06:00 PM
The black menus are finicky (they flicker rapidly when trying to select items) in Safari 2.0.4 on Mac OS X. The links on the Product Information > Downloads page are nearly impossible to read due to the link color being very similar to the cell background color.

Everything else seems pretty nice. :)

Pavlov
07-13-2006, 06:10 PM
Yes, despite my personal preference for non-illustrated BGs, the site is a huge improvement over previous versions.

Paolo

Cageman
07-13-2006, 06:27 PM
This theme fits with the box and new look put out by marketing
I think it is easier to navigate and read than the previous.

I think the site looks great! Alot better than the previos one! :thumbsup:

However, reading through the FAQ i stumbled across this:

"Will there be a LightWave v9 demo version available via download?
Yes. Now that LightWave v9 has been release,..."

Shouldn't it be released? ;)

colkai
07-14-2006, 03:23 AM
I like this look a lot, yup, I do dat. :D

Kuzey
07-14-2006, 03:49 AM
Any chance on getting a large verion of the cover artwork :D

Also, where are the t-shirts :D

Killer look and the LW box is best!!

kuzey

EyelandArts.com
07-14-2006, 08:51 AM
Vey nice Brian! I really like the new look.
A

Matt
07-14-2006, 09:02 AM
It's better than the Wrestling 'Smack Down' graphics we had before!

;)

jamesthiago
07-14-2006, 10:28 AM
The site looks good and I applaud your web dude for all his work, but I think the boat has been missed on how websites are built nowdays. I know that this is a 3d software forum, but how a site is coded does have an effect on how it is presented, which in turn is how Newtek is perceived.

The lightwave site layout is all coded using tables, which in website terms is 'the old way'. Not sure if the webguy is familiar with CSS stylesheets, but these are the standard set out by the W3C (governing authority for the web) for web page design, and has been for several years now. Every major company (3d or otherwise) is switching to CSS designed websites and those still designing with tables at some point are going to need to catch up. It would have been great to see Lightwave evolving the site not just aesthetically, but on the backend too. This would have been an opportune time to have presented a new site using current coding standards. (end of tirade)

CSS is not only for controlling fonts, but the whole layout. Stylesheets allow you to control how the site is presented when users print from it, or display it on their wireless handheld devices. There are a pile of advantages that stylesheets have over old table code pages, which I won't go into, but goto the W3C site (http://www.w3.org/Style/CSS/) and take a look around. From my experience, a website produced using CSS is easier to manage and is less expensive than working with tables. If it makes you feel better, Modo and XSI are stuck in the 90's when it comes to coding too. Autodesk (maya, 3ds max) however has a site coded with standards in mind.

This concern is only being raised to be constructive to the image of Lightwave, which I follow closely. As everyone can see the new site looks good and does work, but then again the site can be compared to producing versions of lightwave. If Newtek were going to code Lightwave 9 the same way as you did Lightwave 6 then why would you bother?

James
web . print . 3d

If anyone here cares to find out more about CSS design (which you shouldn't because you should be cranking out stuff with the fantastic new LW9), here are some resources:
http://zeldman.com/
http://alistapart.com/

Brian Arndt
07-14-2006, 10:35 AM
only 1 web person, 1200+ web site pages, 6 products = not enough time

CSS coding of columns is a nightmare as well. I have converted a lot more to CSS on the site than it originally had before i got here (which was basically none). But i dont have the time to code it all in CSS.

Kurtis
07-14-2006, 10:38 AM
We'll be chaining Brian to his desk shortly, so we can get more work out of him. :hey:

Seriously though, Brian has improved our website by leaps and bounds since he got here. Once we get past all the product releases and SIGGRAPH, I'm sure you can expect to see him implement even more improvements.

mj3
07-14-2006, 10:43 AM
I think the new 9 site looks great. Good work Brian!

Wickster
07-14-2006, 10:54 AM
Might want to consider the fact that CSS doesn't like to make itself look the same on different browsers and might end up writing different CSS files for each possible browser a user might use. which is counter productive since CSS was suppose to be "one CSS file that controls all." but outdated browsers and still off-standardized implementation of CSS in each of the browsers makes it hard to have everything look similar on all computers.

And if Brian (you have the best name ever :D) is using Dreamweaver or GoLive, to create CSS, that's even worse since you lose some form of control over your CSS file. And pretty much launch Notepad to re-edit the mess it made.

I'm a XHTML+CSS addict but it is kinda hard to go all standard and advanced when the mass hasn't caught up yet.

Just a thought

- Brian

Nemoid
07-14-2006, 11:13 AM
I love it tooo !! :thumbsup: :lwicon:

Mr_Bester
07-14-2006, 11:15 AM
The black menus are finicky (they flicker rapidly when trying to select items) in Safari 2.0.4 on Mac OS X. ...

No problems for me on Safari 2.0.4 on OsX. Although the Adobe website reaks havac on this thing.

BTW, Like the new layout.

Brian Arndt
07-14-2006, 12:27 PM
im using dreamweaver, however i do have to spend a lot of time in code-view fixing "dreamweaver code" as it likes to make things "not work". Helps learning HTML in notepad before even touching programs like dreamweaver :thumbsup:

gjjackson
07-14-2006, 12:33 PM
I haven't used dreamweaver, instead I've used Visual Studio. I've found it to be a breeze.

Earl
07-14-2006, 12:51 PM
Seriously though, Brian has improved our website by leaps and bounds since he got here. Once we get past all the product releases and SIGGRAPH, I'm sure you can expect to see him implement even more improvements.
Truly the new LW site he's made is the best design LW has ever had. I can remember back to the 5.0 days when the entire LightWave page was a giant forever-scroll list. 8/ But even that was okay...cause it made me a customer. :D

And in the end, you can't please everyone.

By the way, I retract my comment about thinking the black menu bar should be moved beneath the NewTek menu. I photoshop'd a mockup to help myself visualize this and it didn't look very good - so I'm now in agreement with Brian's choice. :thumbsup:

Kuzey
07-14-2006, 01:05 PM
And if Brian (you have the best name ever :D)
- Brian

Ahhh...two Brians are better than one :thumbsup:

:D

Kuzey

blabberlicious
07-14-2006, 02:22 PM
I'm sure you can expect to see him implement even more improvements.

Hey Brian: I would really like to see RSS feeds for major threads - it's got to be the way to go.

Well done on the launch - slicker than a wet thing dippped in grease!

archiea
07-14-2006, 08:05 PM
It's better than the Wrestling 'Smack Down' graphics we had before!

;)

well put!!

congrats Brian Arndt, and thank you. I like the polished look NT, and congrats on the release of 9 and the innovative beta testing.. It really eases the introduction to the new features, and I believe brings the software makers closer to their customers., one of NT's assets over other companies.

inquisitive
07-15-2006, 02:07 AM
We'll be chaining Brian to his desk shortly, so we can get more work out of him. :hey:

chain a raise to his paycheck too :)

Hope you guys save some pizza and sodas for the guy, nothing like showing up at the lunch room after tweaking a website and finding out all the food is gone lol

Earl
07-15-2006, 12:56 PM
Just saw the new banner ad on CGTalk for v9. Looks great! Very professional. :newtek:

Beaker
07-15-2006, 02:52 PM
My only complaint would be the menu bar at the very top. I don't think they should use the concrete texture on those buttons. Makes them a little hard to read.