PDA

View Full Version : finally getting broadband, need help with a decission

lilrayray77
07-13-2006, 12:26 PM
Alright, well verizon finally offered us a deal that we could just not turn down. We are switching from dial-up to 15mb/sec fiber optic cable. The question I have is this. Verizon allows oyu to choose between a yahoo package and an MSN package (or none at all). Is yahoo anti-virus/anti-spyware any good? Right now we are using norton and McAfee which seems to work very well. Anyway, I would like your input, and you guys should look into this too, installation is free and everyhting, almost to good to be true...

iconoclasty
07-13-2006, 12:42 PM
Personally, and this is just MY opinion, I wouldn't get either of their packages. Anything I've ever tried that was extra from and ISP or Yahoo or anything was a bunch of crap. Anything that even claimed itself as antivirus software turned out to be redundant bloatware. If you're already using some pro protection, which it sounds like you are, then the Yahoo "package" won't likely be any better.

gjjackson
07-13-2006, 01:02 PM
From dial-up to fiber. That'll be a shock to the system. Also, on broadband, remember you're online All The Time. So you have to be much more aware. What may have worked well in the past on dial-up may well be different.

Penforhire
07-13-2006, 01:54 PM
I've had the Verizon with MSN DSL package happily for a few years now (was able to keep my older dial-up MSN address). I use third party firewall & virus protection, Zone Alarm & Norton, plus a router (I've heard my firewall may be superfluous with a hardware router) so I can't comment on their current extras.

Fiber! Me jealous. A fast always-on connection will change the way you think of the net at home.

lilrayray77
07-13-2006, 02:06 PM
Well, I unfortunately have to wait. Verizon made a mistake and thought that the line would be arial. Unfortunately, we live a quarter mile away from the road so it has to be trenched. Because of this we have to wait another couple of weeks! So far I am not impressed with verizon's performance. I have been waiting years for this, and verizon isnt doing much better then comcast (they wanted to charge $6000 just for the trenching). I guess my patience will have to put up just a little longer.