PDA

View Full Version : Where are the Lightwave 9 Books?

Wickster
07-13-2006, 12:16 PM
I thought I'd ask cause I can't find any. Inside LW9, LScript Books, Texturing with LW9, Character Animation with LW9 and LW9 Node Editor for the Node Deficient Lightwavers...where are they? or atleast when will they be released?

CoryC
07-13-2006, 03:31 PM
Dan Ablan has stated that Inside LW9 is being worked on right now.

From Wordware:

We will be updating:

Essential LightWave 3D 9 - Timothy Albee, Steve Warner, Larry Shultz and Kevin Phillips
LightWave 3D 9 Character Animation - Timothy Albee
LightWave 3D 9 Lighting - Nicholas Boughen
LightWave 3D Texturing - Leigh van der Byl
LightWave 3D Cartoon Character Creation I & II - Jonny Gorden

New Titles were working on:

LightWave 3D 9 Modeling The Definitive Guide - Steve Warner
LightWave 3D 9 Scripting - Emanuele Salvucci, et all
LightWave 3D 9 Applied - Dave Jerrard & Jennifer Hachigian

Kurtis
07-13-2006, 05:43 PM
I believe Wes Beckwith already has some videos ready to go from KURV Studios, but I do not believe there are any print books available quite yet.

gatz
07-13-2006, 06:09 PM
I've already received Kurv's Foundation of Character Animation, which uses 9. I don't know if 9 changed enough to alter existing methods. But I'm only about an hour into it.

rg

colkai
07-14-2006, 03:21 AM
For the LW9 books to exist, first, there had to be LW9. ;)

Dans on the case and you can bet he won't be the only one.

pixeltek
07-18-2006, 11:15 AM
colkai, the way it works is that many of those who are involved in the authoring of LW-related books and add-in software, will be on the beta-test teams and have extensive advance knowledge of, and even inputs to, upcoming software versions. Naturally, all will be signing a non-disclosure agreement to protect the product manufacturer. Also, sometimes important changes may cause a delay in the final versions of the software release, and hence, of the instructional materials. Beyond that, you, we, are all waiting for the publication process to run its course, that is printing and shipping quantities of the new books etc., to saturate the supply pipelines to finally land the products in our eager little, expectantly sweaty hands. :)

Karl

Wickster
07-18-2006, 12:25 PM
Having many books about LW9 is very good for the software. For many who are just starting will have a library to choose from and gives a sense that LW9 is widely used because of all the publication that are out there. i mean geez look at photoshop...gazillions of books explaning the same technique of deselecting a selection. :)

what i want to see in the future is "Newtek Officialy Licensed" books. Like a set of tutorials for different topics like say: "Uber Realistic Modeling with LW Modeler a Newtek Official Guide" book. or "Ultra Advanced Rendering with LW9 a Newtek Official Guide" book.

Tiger
07-18-2006, 12:34 PM
I asked Steve Warner about his book:
Light Wave 3D 8 Modeling : A Definitive Guide

Hi Thomas,

I'm glad you like the website! :) There will definitely be a LightWave 3D 9 Modeling - A Definitive Guide. In fact, the main reason there isn't a LightWave Modeling 8 - A Definitive Guide book on the shelves right now is that LightWave 9 was announced as we were beginning to put the Modeling 8 book together. As you can imagine, it would do no good to have a book on LightWave 8 hitting the shelves at the same time that LightWave 9 is being released. So the Modeling book is on hold until I can get a good look at the features in LightWave 9. The Table of Contents will then be revised and updated to incorporate new tools and the the structure of the book will be revised for any fundamental changes in workflow.

The thing about the Definitive Guide book is that it is designed to be a comprehensive learning system to teach those with no experience in 3D how to model. It's not an overview of the program or a rehash of the manual. It will talk about various tools, but it does so in a very structured, deliberate manner so that those who follow it will gain good habits and learn to model quickly and efficiently.

With that in mind, I'll have to see how the tools in LightWave 9 affect the workflow. Once that's done, the book will be put back into production. :)

Thanks for asking! If you have any other questions on it or anything else, please let me know.

Cheers!

Steve

dablan
07-18-2006, 12:43 PM
I believe Wes Beckwith already has some videos ready to go from KURV Studios, but I do not believe there are any print books available quite yet.

Our 3D Garage LightWave 9 Signature Course begins shipping this friday. It's a 15 hour course on DVD-ROM. Currently on sale for a pre-release price.

Inside LightWave 9 is underway as well.

Tiger
07-18-2006, 12:57 PM
Dan, I have most of your books and for sure-I wont miss this one :D

don_culbertson
07-18-2006, 02:03 PM
Our 3D Garage LightWave 9 Signature Course begins shipping this friday. It's a 15 hour course on DVD-ROM. Currently on sale for a pre-release price.

Really looking forward to receiving your courseware - ordered from Safe Harbor!

Don

dablan
07-19-2006, 09:57 AM
Thanks all.

We "hope" to ship Safe Harbor's tomorrow.
Orders through us begin on Friday and will continue through next week.

GavinP
07-19-2006, 11:34 AM
Here's a book I've seen available :

Create, Animate, and Render with LightWave 9 (Paperback)
by Nik Lever
http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/0240519949/202-8232103-4300655?v=glance&n=266239

-Gavin

Penforhire
07-19-2006, 02:54 PM
Nodes, nodes, nodes, nodes, nodes. How about a good instructional book (or video) on using LW nodes?

Seems like it makes a great isolated-but-deep topic for a whole book. But not a book on "this button does this" (we've got the manual) but rather how to "make this surface" or "get that look."

don_culbertson
07-19-2006, 02:59 PM
Nodes, nodes, nodes, nodes, nodes. How about a good instructional book (or video) on using LW nodes?

Here's hoping :thumbsup:

KSTAR
07-19-2006, 10:45 PM
speaking of books, did Lscript for artist ever ship? I see it listed as shipping on Amazon. On other sites it says November 2006. I have never seen it at a book store :confused:

Kuzey
07-20-2006, 04:05 AM
What...there's going to be a book on Lscript...know way, that must be a hoax :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Looking forward to all the fun ;)

Kuzey

Bog
07-20-2006, 05:37 AM
Wouldn't it be lovely if Zoic Studios or one of the other truly hardcore LightWave studios released a book on their techniques and workflow?

tbcherry
07-22-2006, 08:30 PM
I see that Newtek is offering 3 books if you choose to purchase the books and the CD's with the upgrade. I am curious as to what is in the books. Any insight? Anybody?

THNX!:lightwave

dablan
07-23-2006, 07:35 PM
I'm thinking that's the modeler manual, layout manual, and the surface manual.

KSTAR
07-23-2006, 08:32 PM
Yeah its just the printed and bound version of the three .pdfs that are available now. If you have a printer who owes you a favor they include high resolutions print versions of all three .pdf manuals. Then you get a nice COLOR manual you can put in a three ring binder :thumbsup: I had just such a connection for my LW8 manuals, but I don't think I will for my LW9 manuals :(

BTW How are the LW9 manuals? I notice they are not going to be in a three ring binders this time. The last time they were bound for the LW7 manuals One of mine fell apart. Are they bound differently this time?

Wickster
09-29-2006, 01:39 AM
Sorry to bump this back up but this is pretty much an urgent call.

I just cam from the local borders today checking up some film books and i thought i'd check the ol' CG books. I saw 1 shelf filled with maya books and one and half shelves filled with MAX books and 6 Lightwave 8 books. Where are the LW9 books?

in my opinion 'some' new users can't get into LW because of the lack of printed materials. i mean on the net i think there's is limitless info on how to use LW but come on...6 outdated books? i hope them new LW9 books come out soon.

I also wish there are "Newtek Certified LW Training Books" or publish there own (like the manuals). But that's second get some LW9 books out first.

dablan
09-29-2006, 08:19 AM
Wickster - LW9 just came out. It takes a lot of time to write, and publish a book. I'm halfway through Inside LightWave 9 and plan to finish it in the next few weeks. I'm sure Wordware is on a similar schedule. One reason you won't see LW books out right when the software comes out is because the software is evolving pretty much until the time it's released. If a book were written on these preliminary versions, there would be errors. And, it's happened before. And then we get nasty emails. So now, I wait until the software is in full release, and start the book.

Add to that, LightWave is simply not as popular as Maya, and there's always a fight for shelf space in the book stores. ****, there's enough frickin' Photoshop books to last a lifetime....

kurv
09-29-2006, 10:31 AM
Wickster, Dan says it all here... Books take soem time... Sounds like Dan has his video series done though, great news. We have three videos done now on LW9, Rigging, Animation and Lighting. All done by professional artists working in studios like Rainmaker, and Battlestar VFX!

The training is from 3 hours to 10 and a half hours long - http://www.kurvstudios.com/lightwave/

and you can find more info on Dan's courses here - http://www.3dgarage.com/

Wickster
09-29-2006, 10:47 AM
thanks for the replies and sorry to be very impatient, i just get really depressed seeing all these other books on there. And you're right about photoshop books, they have a isle dedicated to that. i guess LW9 changed pretty dramatically that it's no longer advisable to reissue LW8 books with LW9 features added. I preffer having a book specifically written for LW9 anyway.

I have no gripes about the video, both your videos are awesome, though i wish borders and bn could stack them on selves too :D

inside lw is a hot item dan, taking pre-orders on the LW9 version yet? :D

by the way wes, can you reveal information as to how many LW9 books are planned to be released by wordware? i was interested on the scripting book but i'm not sure if it got scrapped or not.

Wordware
09-29-2006, 04:52 PM
how many LW9 books are planned to be released by wordware? i was interested on the scripting book but i'm not sure if it got scrapped or not.[/QUOTE]

Good afternoon,

Tim McEvoy at Wordware Publishing checking in to answer the question about our LW 9 list. We have the following titles planned and being worked on right now.

First out will be our Essential LW 9 sometime in November followed by our Lighting book around the end of the year. First Quarter 07 releases include an update to both our Texturing and Character Modeling titles. We are still working on the scripting book, although that is proving more of a challenge, and have Steve Warner's Definitive Guide to Modeling a little farther out in the schedule. Just check out our coming soon list on the web site (www.wordware.com) for updates.

Phil
09-29-2006, 05:04 PM
Wickster, Dan says it all here... Books take soem time... Sounds like Dan has his video series done though, great news. We have three videos done now on LW9, Rigging, Animation and Lighting. All done by professional artists working in studios like Rainmaker, and Battlestar VFX!

The training is from 3 hours to 10 and a half hours long - http://www.kurvstudios.com/lightwave/

and you can find more info on Dan's courses here - http://www.3dgarage.com/

Two requests for Kurv to consider, assuming they find some talented soul to record them :

1) The obvious request would be something to take the learning curve out of Nodal. It is still a little hard to get to grips with, at least at the moment. Rather than wade through documentation, a video package would be useful.

2) I'd love a really detailed video tutorial dealing with really sophisticated particle effects. The ink in water effect from HowardM was really sweet, for example. Knowing that this kind of thing is possible, I'd pay for someone to spill the beans on how to create the effect, along with all manner of other things (such as dust being kicked up, etc.)

It might actually be interesting to have developer-oriented material as well, for both LScript and the SDK. This could prove a useful shot in the arm for the LW developer community.

By the way, I learnt a huge amount from the Vehicle Modelling Tutorials DVDs. Spending most of my time in Layout, I wanted a challenging, all-round modelling tutorial to get me started - this was ideal :) Highly recommended.

Wickster
09-29-2006, 05:06 PM
Awesome! Thanks. I skipped Essential 8 (it was one of my slow LW days cycle :) ) So Essential 9 is definitely on my list. I'd like to see how the character animation book turns out, so far my 7.5 version of the book still serves me well.

I hope the scripting book gathers more steam cause Lightwave scripting is a big giant hole that needs to be filled up when it comes to some documentation. Thanks again for the update.

GandB
09-29-2006, 08:26 PM
I'm using Dan's LW9 Signature Course right now, and it's very well put together. I learned 3D on TrueSpace/GameSpace for about the last year and a half; using Dan's course has made the transition very smooth (and much less intimidating:D) for me. After the first few videos I could have taken the knowledge I had from TS and used it to start making some rudimentary objects in LW. I highly recommend his courses. I'm starting on the first crate video tomorrow; the wife and kids are gone for the weekend, so I'd like to get through the first DVD if I can.

I'm also looking at purchasing KURV studio's Viper course (after seeing another users' work here); as our upcoming game will include many 3D ships, rendered in 2D (so I can go high-poly if I want). Good stuff all around!

-Keith

pixeltek
09-29-2006, 08:59 PM
Actually, getting the Inside Lightwave series by Dan Ablan won't hurt at all. Not even financially, and much of what you find there is still valid and perfectly good training material IMO for any newbie as well as many more experienced users.

I just checked, and http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=br_ss_hs/104-0075589-9559905?platform=gurupa&url=index%3Dblended&keywords=inside+lightwave

Inside LW6 can be had for 50 cents (plus shipping, of course)
Inside LW7 for $7, Inside LW8 for $22, and Inside LW9 can be preordered for
$36. None of them break the budget, and 7 & 8 actually work together as a pretty good archive of useful information.

The same is probably true for Timothy Albee's excellent books. Also no budget-breakers either.

Another great way to find the best prices on book of any kind is here:
http://www.fetchbook.info/

Not only do they cover the entire printed spectrum, but many books not available at Amazon or B&N can be found and priced here, new or used.

Just FYI, :)

Karl

Wickster
09-30-2006, 02:36 AM
I have dan's Insaide Lightwave 6 to 8 (i started using LW6 and it was the first LW book i bought). i've never missed a release. :)

Tesselator
10-02-2006, 08:09 PM
Two requests...

1) The obvious request would be something to take the learning curve out of Nodal. It is still a little hard to get to grips with, at least at the moment. Rather than wade through documentation, a video package would be useful.

I'm a little over 1/2 way finished with a book (that may actually become two
books) on the Node Editor. I wrote the current NewTek Node Editor Reference
Manual and was the Nodal Product Manager durring it's initial concept & design
phase. Also currently sharing living space with it's programmer which is nice
for fact checking and partying on the weekends. ;)

The book is on hold for awhile while I work overtime on my day job for NewTek
but I hope to finish it over the Christmas holidays. It's exclusively on surfacing
and the Node Editor.

It looks like there will be a nice selection to choose from for LightWave 9 in 2007!

I know I'm looking forward to it!